• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Landry has Cooper Flagg dreams 😴

Spud2nique

• Moderators

Why would we think he has Flagg dreams when we don't have a first round pick next year?  I mean I get it in the way you might have dreams about a supermodel or something but not in a "this is my goal for the team for next year" kind of way that is meaningful to the franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We are screwed if that's true.  

If he doesn’t have a checkered pass, I’m betting Landry wants him bad. I swear if we get in tank mode, I’m gonna lose it 🤦‍♀️ 

I can’t go back to the NBA lottery.. we were there too much. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, AHF said:

Why would we think he has Flagg dreams

Well because if you listened to the press conference he’s looking for specific culture dudes who aren’t Ben Wallace Metta World Peace or anyone like that. 

Do you have confidence in him AHF? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Well because if you listened to the press conference he’s looking for specific culture dudes who aren’t Ben Wallace Metta World Peace or anyone like that. 

From a culture perspective, I can understand being negative about someone like Metta World Peace.  He was like Draymond but prone to even more extreme behavior (attacking the fan and the name change both come to mind) but what is there not to like about Ben Wallace?  Maybe I'm missing something but Ben pretty much just did the dirty work for some great Pistons teams.  (His scuffle with Artest prior to MWP going into the stands was pretty routine as he got shoved from behind and retaliated with a shove.  Not a big deal.)

(As an aside, I think guys like Artest and Green can work on great teams and be very important to their success.  Just saying that their volatile personalities wouldn't be tolerated as part of team culture if they weren't as good as they were.)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Don't let AH talk you off that ledge, squd.  You panic like you can't panic no more! 

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

How are we getting Cooper Flagg? if he has the season we expect at Duke he's the no brainer unicorn #1 pick in 2025. A white American superstar in the draft? When's the last time that has been a real thing? Teams will be shooting their own players on the bench to tank for this kid.

We don't have our pick next season. We're not getting him unless we trade for him at that draft.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

How are we getting Cooper Flagg? if he has the season we expect at Duke he's the no brainer unicorn #1 pick in 2025. A white American superstar in the draft? When's the last time that has been a real thing? Teams will be shooting their own players on the bench to tank for this kid.

We don't have our pick next season. We're not getting him unless we trade for him at that draft.

Not to go down the political/socio rabbit hole. But the notion that teams really want a White star for marketing just does not appear to true. Jokic is the best player in the world, and the average person has never even heard of him. He isnt really heavily marketed. What Madison Avenue really wants is another MJ or LeBron. Hard to argue with that, considering their success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Not to go down the political/socio rabbit hole. But the notion that teams really want a White star for marketing just does not appear to true. Jokic is the best player in the world, and the average person has never even heard of him. He isnt really heavily marketed. What Madison Avenue really wants is another MJ or LeBron. Hard to argue with that, considering their success.

Jokic is foreign and a big man.  Huge difference and a hindrance to his marketability.  This Flagg kid is gonna be huge from a marketing standpoint.  Madison Avenue certainly wants another MJ-bron, but a white, American version is a dream come true.

Let's revisit this in a couple years, for research purposes .... if I live that long. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

A white American superstar hasn't happened since Bird. Jokic and luka are foreign guys. Flagg is crazy athletic and a home grown white kid.  He's the unicorn of unicorns for marketing and any team that drafts him.

28 minutes ago, Sothron said:

A white American superstar hasn't happened since Bird. Jokic and luka are foreign guys. Flagg is crazy athletic and a home grown white kid.  He's the unicorn of unicorns for marketing and any team that drafts him.

I'm just saying being White does not help with marketing as an NBA player. There is no empirical evidence to suggest it does. If anything, it's a hindrance. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'm just saying being White does not help with marketing as an NBA player. There is no empirical evidence to suggest it does. If anything, it's a hindrance. 

I can't possibly disagree more 

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I can't possibly disagree more 

Has being White helped Jokic being marketed? People who don't follow the NBA have no clue who he is despite being arguably the best player in the world. I'm going to say that again. He's white, he's the best player in the world. He doesn't even have his own shoe. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Has being White helped Jokic being marketed? People who don't follow the NBA have no clue who he is despite being arguably the best player in the world. I'm going to say that again. He's white, he's the best player in the world. He doesn't even have his own shoe. 

He is European and a center. Centers never sell shoes. Flagg is neither of these things. 

Just now, Sothron said:

He is European and a center. Centers never sell shoes. Flagg is neither of these things. 

Shaq, one of the greatest marketing machines in NBA history, is a center. It's not about race, or position, it's about charisma.