• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I rather you say you don't like him then lie on him. 

Don't limit me, hotSupes.  I can do both.

I think its fair to say this kid could develop into something.  I just don't think we have time for it.

- Rich Homie B. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, KB21 said:

It’s not a lie though.  His PNR defense is terrible.  He’s also not a great rim protector because of his limited leaping ability and limited range around the basket.  He is what he is.  A limited offensive player due to his lack of offensive versatility (no perimeter game, can’t create his own shot, mediocre rim runner, below average passer) and a bad defensive player no matter how you use him.  

You can't even post film from this season on it because it's cap. His drop coverage has been very good this year. His opponents have said it. His coaches have said it. He has said it. Scouts have said it. GMs have said it. The data and film shows it. 

Be honest man. []

[] The data says otherwise. The data shows he's an elite finisher and rim runner. But but...

The data shows he's a good passer for a center. But but...

The film shows elite gravity which his teammates and coaches say and his opponents shout. But but.. 

[]

The way KB talks, you would think his charts look like this 

https://tankathon.com/players/hilton-armstrong

Instead of this

https://tankathon.com/players/zach-edey

4 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

The longer Perdue stays in the playoffs, 

Freudian slip, huh GM.

Is Edy the 2nd coming of Will Perdue from Vanderbilt, who in the NBA was part of Chicago's 3-headed monster at center?

Perdue was a dominant center and SEC POY in his senior year

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

I don’t have to post a clip.  There was a whole game full of bad PNR defense last night.  

I watched the game possession by possession. His defense was very good. I even tracked the questionable possessions on both ends. Defensively, he did very good. 

Even he will tell you

Filipowski is not only a better defender than Edey.  He’s much better.  It’s not even close, nd I’m not convinced Filipowski is anything but average as a defender.  He ca. at least ply some defense in space.  

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We have had everything. To say there are less 7fts, well, there are a lot less 7fters than vice versa in the NBA. Everyone has had less 7fters, especially 5s as they also need bulk 

We Have had Len, Jones, Dedmon, Plumlee, Zeller, Edy, Lo Wright, Deke, Collier, Przybrilla, N'Dyaine, Rebreca, Zaza. We done had every type of center. This post was probably the most worthless of them all as common knowledge would say this to be the case for everyone. Even the Lakers which have had Mihm, Shaq, and Bynum have had way more centers under 7ft than over 7ft. 

You somehow managed to both insult me and prove my point at the same time.

You just listed a bunch of backups/journeymen, the majority of whom either stand under 7ft or never played important minutes for us.

Point being, the last couple of instances that we needed a starting center, we ended up with and invested Horford and Capela, not to mention drafting OO as our center of the future. You think that we are bringing in Edey, the same franchise that traded Gasol, passed on Gobert/Jokic, and has never been rumored to be in play for or even interested in any centers with comparable size or skillset as an Edey in the modern era.

Your own explanation for this is the very point that the others have been trying to make. Teams do not carry( thus do not need) that kind of big man in today’s NBA.

This not an indictment on Edey, your opinion of him, or the premise of putting size next to Trae. I actually have been banging the drum for us to acquire a low post threat for a while.

It is a cynical, informed observation of the patterned behavior and groupthink that make it unlikely for us to draft a guy who is so different than anything we have ever seen in a Hawks uniform in the last almost quarter century.

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Filipowski is not only a better defender than Edey.  He’s much better.  It’s not even close, nd I’m not convinced Filipowski is anything but average as a defender.  He ca. at least ply some defense in space.  

If you can't rim or paint protect, and you aren't much of a rebounder, how valuable are you on D in the NBA and you definitely can't be on the floor with Trae. 

Filipowski is a better defender. Without a doubt. But is he a better defender at the 5? No. Watch Ryan James start if Purdue and Duke get to the Final Four. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

You somehow managed to both insult me and prove my point at the same time.

You just listed a bunch of backups/journeymen, the majority of whom either stand under 7ft or never played important minutes for us.

Point being, the last couple of instances that we needed a starting center, we ended up with and invested Horford and Capela, not to mention drafting OO as our center of the future. You think that we are bringing in Edey, the same franchise that traded Gasol, passed on Gobert/Jokic, and has never been rumored to be in play for or even interested in any centers with comparable size or skillset as an Edey in the modern era.

Your own explanation for this is the very point that the others have been trying to make. Teams do not carry( thus do not need) that kind of big man in today’s NBA.

This not an indictment on Edey, your opinion of him, or the premise of putting size next to Trae. I actually have been banging the drum for us to acquire a low post threat for a while.

It is a cynical, informed observation of the patterned behavior and groupthink that make it unlikely for us to draft a guy who is so different than anything we have ever seen in a Hawks uniform in the last almost quarter century.

I didn't insult you. I stated the obvious. Most centers are under 7ft. Everyone wants 7fters but they aren't easy to find. Saying that Atlanta doesn't choose to have them just is not true. There just aren't many out there and most who are, are simply role players or worse. That's the case for most under 7fters too. I just found your message to be awful and lacking intelligence in terms of the NBA. 

That's not a personal attack on you. Just the post. I like you as a poster. I just hated the original post. 

Yeah, if they are smart, they will take Edey. Not taking Jokic had more to do with where Jokic was at that time. They took what they felt was NBA ready and extremely valued shooting at that time with Ferry with Payne. In the same draft, they took Edy. Quin since he's been in Utah or Atlanta has always valued mental acuity and experience. The best in the draft is Edey at those categories. 

I do think Quin, Brey, Korver, Landry, and some others will highly value Edey. Smart people do smart things. Edey is the smart thing to do

Edited by NBASupes

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

22 and?

That's not a knock believe or not, especially if you have high mental acuity. It means you understand what you are doing and can help a team immediately. I want 4 year players on my team especially if they know what they are doing. I've been saying for years, the Warriors biggest advantage was having 3 upperclassmen as their best players. Steph, Klay, and Green. 

If you know as much about the modern NBA as you claim, you would know that this is a BBIQ era we are in. That's most important and the teams lacking in that department are the teams you see not winning shit. 

You keep talking about Edey as if he was this 1st rounder in previous years when he wasn't. Even me, his biggest advocate wasn't pushing for him even once last year. He massively improved and added a modern NBA skill set, mastered it and that's why he's extremely high on my board and why he's a lottery pick to some GMs and hopefully ours when the time comes. 

People forget he never played basketball until 9th grade when he hit 6'10" and couldn't play hockey anymore. He didn't even learn to guard till his junior year in high school. He's kind of amazing when viewed through that lens.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yeah.  Quin is going to really value a guy who will limit what he can do offensively with black of versatility and also limit what he can call defensively.  

I definitely think Quin going to value the best movement big prospect to have entered the NBA. Hell yeah. This is the same Quin that took a chance on Udoka who's as limited as they come because of his size and signed washed Whiteside and actually somehow got production out of him. He's plenty versatile in terms of offensive movement. It's how his production is so damn consistent 

Edited by NBASupes

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

People forget he never played basketball until 9th grade when he hit 6'10" and couldn't play hockey anymore. He didn't even learn to guard till his junior year in high school. He's kind of amazing when viewed through that lens.

You're kind of amazing, tcampst. 😉

- Rich Homie B. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I definitely think Quin going to value the best movement big prospect to have entered the NBA. Hell yeah. This is the same Quin that took a chance on Udoka who's as limited as they come because of his size and signed washed Whiteside and actually somehow got production out of him. He's plenty versatile in terms of offensive movement. It's how his production is so damn consistent 

Udoka was an elite defender in college.  Edey is a terrible defender.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Udoka was an elite defender in college.  Edey is a terrible defender.  

Lmao. Your hate for Edey has removed all logic from you. Even if you want to say Udoka defense in college was elite which I would say it's not, at least acknowledge Edey is a pretty good college defender but nope. Lmao

41 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I’m not going to say something that isn’t true.  I’m not going to call Edey a good defender when it’s clear that he isn’t.  

Your idea of what is true isn't backed by data or film. Just the KB eye test. 

Donovan Clingan is so much better than Edey as a prospect.   He’s much closer to Rudy Gobert than Zach Edey is.  His range defensively is so much better.  Much better athleticism as well.  

• Like 1