• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'm thinking more the pairing with JJ and Dre. With both shooting the 3 and slashing, Edey is a great pairing.

That undersized backcourt of Trae and Murray could work with Edey

Just now, thecampster said:

That 3 looked like Bey was guarding the shooter. 5 feet to shoot.

UCONN just shooting over Purdue defenders like they don't exist. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

That undersized backcourt of Trae and Murray could work with Edey

I’m skeptical it can work regardless but I feel like you would have 3 exploitable defenders on the floor (and JJ who struggles in some matchups).  Still think the at backcourt needs better balance.

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Uconn's perimeter defense may have something to do with that. Letting Clingan guard Edy 1v1 live with the results and keep everyone else in check.

Maybe so. I can admit I may be a bit bias but I feel like they get good looks and simply just don’t take them. If Edey screens like that at the next level those are likely going to easily be 3s

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

I'm thinking more the pairing with JJ and Dre. With both shooting the 3 and slashing, Edey is a great pairing.

Good point. I like the whole fit honestly with or without Murray in the starting lineup.

1 minute ago, JTB said:

Maybe so. I can admit I may be a bit bias but I feel like they get good looks and simply just don’t take them. If Edey screens like that at the next level those are likely going to easily be 3s

Good point. I like the whole fit honestly with or without Murray in the starting lineup.

To @AHF's point, p'm speaking only offensively and rebounding there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I’m skeptical it can work regardless but I feel like you would have 3 exploitable defenders on the floor (and JJ who struggles in some matchups).  Still think the at backcourt needs better balance.

I am still under the belief that you put an truly dominate offense together first with Trae and figure out what works once you got it. That's the hardest part.  

Edey definitely got good film to use to watch this game in terms of improving on. UCONN threw a lot at him and they have a lot of NBA players and lucky for him, Purdue guards aren't good POA defenders so he got to see how it's like in help situations that aren't favorable. This is real situations our bigs go through constantly. 

I would also like to see him use more verticality but UCONN was killing his guards so bad they were coming at an angle. That's difficult for any big. This is good work on film because these things will happen in the NBA. Lucky for him, NBA guards are a lot better than Purdue guards on offense and they don't need his gravity to produce. 

Edey dominated those first like 12 minutes and after that it was all Uconn. I don't think any of this game or really what he showed in the tourney is valuable to see what he'll be in the NBA offensively. No team will post him up and play at the pace he does in college and today shows what happens if you play him straight up and don't help off shooters. He won't have gravity in the nba like he does in most of his college games.

His guards aren't good enough to use him as a screener which will be his primarily roll offensively in the nba. my thoughts on him remain pretty unchanged. Not a guy I would take for the Hawks current pick but if they traded back i could understand. Hes a 18-30 guy that will be a backup at best at the next level

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Edey dominated those first like 12 minutes and after that it was all Uconn. I don't think any of this game or really what he showed in the tourney is valuable to see what he'll be in the NBA offensively. No team will post him up and play at the pace he does in college and today shows what happens if you play him straight up and don't help off shooters. He won't have gravity in the nba like he does in most of his college games.

His guards aren't good enough to use him as a screener which will be his primarily roll offensively in the nba. my thoughts on him remain pretty unchanged. Not a guy I would take for the Hawks current pick but if they traded back i could understand. Hes a 18-30 guy that will be a backup at best at the next level

I disagree, but I hear you.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

He scored 30 points and got Clingan and Jackson into foul trouble. You put him with Trae, Murray, Hunter, and JJ, you can't do shit with him. []

Just now, thecampster said:

37/10.  Rest of Purdue, 27 points.

Sucks. He needed 50 if they even wanted to have a shot. He went cold the the late 1st and early 2nd and UCONN was just too good. 

The game was basically over when UConn literally ran pick n roll four straight times and Edey looked absolutely lost. I can’t have my center doing that. He could be a back-up but not here. I would rather have Clingan who did a really great job as the game went on. I would love to get Clingan on this team but sadly he may be drafted too high for us at this point. 

Edited by givemesome1ce1
  • Like 2

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

1-7 from 3 for Purdue.

14 ORebs given up to Uconn.

You can not only shoot 7 threes in a basketball game in 2024 lol. Especially if your center in college is Zach Edey. Ridiculous 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

The game was basically over when UConn literally ran pick n roll four straight times and Edey looked absolutely lost. I can’t have my center doing that. He could be a back-up but not here. I would rather have Clingan who did a really great job as the game went on. I would love to get Clingan on this team but sadly he may be drafted too high for us at this point. 

He had some good moment in the PnR against Clingan but they there was 3 or 4 possessions with Jackson where they scored 2 and got the looks they want the other two times. Jackson got himself pulled shortly due to foul trouble. He made some adjustments on Kanaban. But the two perimeter possessions he had, he got scored on by Spencer and was off balanced and fouled Newton. 

He got a lot of tape from this game. Good and bad. He got some work to do. Defensively, he got some really good drop tape. His switching could have been better. 

Offensively, he gotta just go up strong. I thought his screens and his rolls was exceptional even if his guards couldn't take advantage of it. 

It was a tough night. UCONN had a gameplan that they would give Edey the game then adjusted in the 2nd and brought doubles but still recovered and didn't give up the 3. Purdue just don't have 3pt shooters. They got guys who can shoot only open 3s. Then again, we knew this team didn't have NBA players outside of Edey. It's like Iowa and Clark. 

2 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

You can not only shoot 7 threes in a basketball game in 2024 lol. Especially if your center in college is Zach Edey. Ridiculous 

They didn't get any open ones. They had a lot of NBA open ones but they aren't NBA players. 

Posted (edited)

If there was any questions about it. Clingan gonna be a legit defensive stud in the NBA. He pretty much shutdown the paint outside of Edey and he was BY FAR the best defender I seen on Edey in the last 3 years. Edey still scored 37 but he did more than enough if this was a NBA game. Purdue was spamming the post up. Kessler slightly better on D but Clingan is clearly better offensively even right now over Kessler. Clingan earning Gobert comps are legit. 

Edited by NBASupes