• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

20 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

You can not only shoot 7 threes in a basketball game in 2024 lol. Especially if your center in college is Zach Edey. Ridiculous 

What's crazy is they made 1 three, got 2 blocked.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

What's crazy is they made 1 three, got 2 blocked.

They were just utterly outclassed by their UConn counterparts. Watching it, the game felt like the high school team playing against the middle school team kind of like the women's final.  The Big Ten teams just were role players around their one real player.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

My favorite part of the game was when UConn brought in their athletic undersized center and Purdue went to drop coverage on the PnR.  UConn ran two straigt PnRs and got uncontested ally oop dunks for their big because Edey is so slow he couldn't even defend the rim in drop coverage.

LOL even my wife made a comment about how he would get killed at the next level after witnessing that display.

Anyone wanting to waste a draft pick on him after that display is out to lunch.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shakes said:

My favorite part of the game was when UConn brought in their athletic undersized center and Purdue went to drop coverage on the PnR.  UConn ran two straigt PnRs and got uncontested ally oop dunks for their big because Edey is so slow he couldn't even defend the rim in drop coverage.

LOL even my wife made a comment about how he would get killed at the next level after witnessing that display.

Anyone wanting to waste a draft pick on him after that display is out to lunch.

That's not what happened. Those were flairs. Those generally lead to Allys if you play it too high which Edey did. He got abused on those two possessions. Those were JC staples. Really 3 but Jackson missed that dunk. 

He did a great job on the PnR especially with Clingan who's an elite roller. Clingan didn't score on the roll all night. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I see two future HOFers, one potential good player who I know nothing about and then two overrated stiffs from Purdidn't who both peaked in college..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shakes said:

I see two future HOFers, one potential good player who I know nothing about and then two overrated stiffs from Purdidn't who both peaked in college..

Never change, shakes

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It was a good gameplan, Purdue don't have enough talent to do anything different 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shakes said:

Chet peaked in college?  His rookie year says otherwise from my perspective.

Unless I am wrong Zach and Edey are the only two of those guys who suited up for a U.S. college program.

5 minutes ago, Packfill said:

Chet peaked in college?  His rookie year says otherwise from my perspective.

Unless I am wrong Zach and Edey are the only two of those guys who suited up for a U.S. college program.

He's talking about Edey and Ivey. Both Purdue players who he clearly doesn't like

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's talking about Edey and Ivey. Both Purdue players who he clearly doesn't like

never good when I need @NBASupes to come in and explain my jokes to people.    Never good, but always appreciated 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He scored 30 points and got Clingan and Jackson into foul trouble. You put him with Trae, Murray, Hunter, and JJ, you can't do shit with him. []

Gameplan was let Zach do whatever he wanted so it’s not a surprise he scored a lot. Especially when he got like 10 of them when the game was over 

his role in nba isn’t gonna be back to basket 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It was the perfect gameplan if you watched Purdue all tourney. Teams couldn’t stop edey so they helped and would kill teams with open 3s. They limited them to what 7 threes last night knowing if they took it out clingan can play edey straight. You want slow 2s every possession take it 

Well, from all I can read , Edey is going in the second round, perhaps not drafted at all if the Hawks pass on him.  Then they can invite him to a tryout camp and, if he's good enough there, sign him for the Skyhawks team.  Imagine having him there to come off the bench and play a couple of minutes before he becomes too winded to continue!

:smug:

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Gameplan was let Zach do whatever he wanted so it’s not a surprise he scored a lot. Especially when he got like 10 of them when the game was over 

Right, and that is why his role will be significantly diminished in the NBA on offense.  

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No it wasn't.  The plan was to single cover Edey with the potential #1 overall pick and guy projected as the best big man defender in college basketball by many scouts.  The only thing they did that was unusual was not throw a bunch of defenders at him.  Clingan has guarded plenty of bigs one on one this year without getting burned for 37 points.  Even then they did strategically double him in the post but did an excellent job maintaining shape so they could recover if he passed out of it and the rest of the team just isn't good enough to exploit that approach by the superior Connecticut perimeter defenders.

When you let someone do whatever you want, it is because you are ignoring them which wasn't the case at all.  They were extremely aware of him every possession and doing what they could to stop him without selling out and leaving Purdue's shooters open.  As you note, it was a smart gameplan because if the rest of the team didn't contribute (and they did about as close to nothing as you could hope for) there is no way that Edey can outscore the entire Connecticut roster.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Edey ate Clingan's lunch in the game last night. If you had doubts about Edey I seriously question how you can watch the game of basketball. The kid is basically unstoppable on offense.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That's 28 points before the game was out of reach against a center who only allowed 4 post up baskets all year in Clingan. The entire time, it was he sucks, he can't do it against guys who won't be selling insurance. Now it's, he can score and screen but is he really that good. Man, he's elite at screening. Hell yeah! I counted a potential 13 screen assists he could have had yesterday. That's double of what Sabonis is doing. Man, he's very impactful offensively right now