• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Edey's age plays a factor in how GM's view him. 22 year old's don't necessarily get the same flash that 19 year old's do.. it is what it is.

They think of it as getting a used tire

It should play a factor with anyone. The question is, what does all three of these guys bring. 

Edey is an elite movement big with two specialities, big man movement and low post movement. 

Clingan is a two way big who has big man movement and he's a terrific drop coverage big.

Sarr is a 4 who's a terrific defender with terrible offense but shows a shit ton of flashes and he's pretty good right now in the open court. 

Obviously, with all three, you hope they get significantly better than they were this past season but thinking that because someone is 19 it will happen isn't the correct line of thinking. Older prospects develop as do young prospects but depends on the situation, the coaches, the fit, the role, the personnel grouping, etc. It's a lot the players can't control. I would not take Sarr and think he would be a success the way Atlanta currently constructed. Sure! If Trae is gone and we just tanking, sure, his chances go up 100x. In that case, I am interested. But anyone trying to sell his bad metrics and claiming him and Trae could fit is idiotic babble and it's really a personal like without intelligence being used. We went through this with Murray. Murray was an all star. Stud. Hell, he's better last year than he was in SA so he got better in Atlanta and his fit with Trae is shit! 

Sarr don't play nothing like a big that would fit with Trae. He doesn't even play like a big. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It should play a factor with anyone. The question is, what does all three of these guys bring. 

Edey is an elite movement big with two specialities, big man movement and low post movement. 

Clingan is a two way big who has big man movement and he's a terrific drop coverage big.

Sarr is a 4 who's a terrific defender with terrible offense but shows a shit ton of flashes and he's pretty good right now in the open court. 

Obviously, with all three, you hope they get significantly better than they were this past season but thinking that because someone is 19 it will happen isn't the correct line of thinking. Older prospects develop as do young prospects but depends on the situation, the coaches, the fit, the role, the personnel grouping, etc. It's a lot the players can't control. I would not take Sarr and think he would be a success the way Atlanta currently constructed. Sure! If Trae is gone and we just tanking, sure, his chances go up 100x. In that case, I am interested. But anyone trying to sell his bad metrics and claiming him and Trae could fit is idiotic babble and it's really a personal like without intelligence being used. We went through this with Murray. Murray was an all star. Stud. Hell, he's better last year than he was in SA so he got better in Atlanta and his fit with Trae is shit! 

Sarr don't play nothing like a big that would fit with Trae. He doesn't even play like a big. 

Why do some of you guys only talk about his offensive fit with Trae? When his impact long term and especially in year 1 is the fit defensively. This dude will clean up so much for these awful defenders we have while giving us scheme versatility. Plus the hawks have not had a center that was a threat to shoot on offense since what Dedmon?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Then he will bust

If you say so lol. Defensively he is ready to contribute. Offensively he ways to go. Thats a player that will get on the court

• Like 1

• Moderators

One thing with Quin that I would be pretty confident in is that he wouldn't throw his prized rookie to the wolves and screw up his development.  If anything, Snyder has been overly protective of his young guys.  If he is playing Sarr, I imagine it is because he is confident Sarr can contribute and it is probably in a limited role where he is asked to do what Quin thinks he can do today and then is developing with the staff in the background.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why do some of you guys only talk about his offensive fit with Trae? When his impact long term and especially in year 1 is the fit defensively. This dude will clean up so much for these awful defenders we have while giving us scheme versatility. Plus the hawks have not had a center that was a threat to shoot on offense since what Dedmon?

Trae is our best player and our franchise player

He's a solid B- to B level drop coverage 5 who when he gets a lot more experience, should be an A level drop coverage 5 like Marc Gasol by the beginning to middle of his 2nd contract in the NBA. For Trae, drop coverage matters a ton because he's world class awful at off ball defense. 

He doesn't defend anywhere near what you think he does. Nowhere close. He covers space but our issue is protecting the paint and he's not good at that. Clingan is great at it and Edey is good at it. He lacks too much size and bulk. He will help wonders for switching but switching sucks for us because of Trae off ball defensive failures. 

All of these guys have the same threat rate from 3 and Sarr isn't a center at all. Edey and Clingan are capable 3 point shooters. We seen it two years in a row from Edey in the NBA Combine workouts. I don't know what else you need to see. It's not like he's shooting 28% from 3

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you say so lol. Defensively he is ready to contribute. Offensively he ways to go. Thats a player that will get on the court

If he's not ready to go offensively as a big, he won't play unless we are just tanking and wins and losses don't matter. Maybe Nate would play him but then his bust rate is astronomical 

Edited by NBASupes

Either way we e got lots to move this off-season even if we keep picks we need to move.on from Clint and few other guys with some luck maybe we pick up another pick and grab another center along with sarr.

1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

Edey's age plays a factor in how GM's view him. 22 year old's don't necessarily get the same flash that 19 year old's do.. it is what it is.

They think of it as getting a used tire

His age is only a minor factor.  What hurts Edey is that, at best, he's a 10-15 MPG situational sub in the NBA.  

• Like 1

[] We literally got someone who looks like a 6'10 Winnie the Pooh and moves like Gumby as the best player in the NBA. 

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

His age is only a minor factor.  What hurts Edey is that, at best, he's a 10-15 MPG situational sub in the NBA.  

[As we have previously noted, I disagree with your projection.]

• Haha 2

Just now, KB21 said:

Edey is a 10-15 MPG situational sub in the NBA.

Clingan is a 15-20 MPG sub in the NBA.

Neither are starting caliber bigs in the modern NBA.  

So confidently wrong. I admire the stubbornness. 

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Y'all are like twins that got separated at birth and have equally strong but opposite opinions on every player lmao

I don't see how anyone can look at the bigs that have been featured in the NBA recently and actually believe that Zach Edey has more than a snowball's chance in hell of being able to play with those guys.  He's slow, unathletic, and lacks skill.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Y'all are like twins that got separated at birth and have equally strong but opposite opinions on every player lmao

We agree on some players but Edey is definitely not one. In fact, we agreed on Clingan till recently. Now he's put Clingan in the same category as Edey. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We agree on some players but Edey is definitely not one. In fact, we agreed on Clingan till recently. Now he's put Clingan in the same category as Edey. 

I don't want to reopen your continued volleying of dismayed posts regarding the Hawks pick at number 1...but short and concise, you in our out on Sarr? 

6 minutes ago, deester11 said:

KB may be wrong..or right..I ain't taking either of them before Sarr.  

You don't have to. None of us do. We aren't the Hawks organization. 

I am okay with Sarr only if we are going the rebuilding route. 

I'll always choose Edey over Clingan. He has MVP potential with Trae. Clingan doesn't but Clingan has the best floor. I know he's gonna fit that 5th option role to a T and he's a terrific drop coverage 5. He's a clear improvement for ANY team that drafts him that plays drop coverage. 

Sarr is the only other player I see with MVP potential. I actually see the upside offensively and defensively, he's legit right now but when you don't have anything bigs have, you must be advanced as a perimeter player and he's not. Essentially, he's a transition scorer who's a good lob threat. That's not gonna cut it in the NBA when you come with the expectations a #1 pick has. Sarr has clear upside but it's not so clear how he will get there. While we could get a MVP, we could even more clearly get the next Cam Reddish.