• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

52 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I LOVE Trae.  But, in no way should he stop you from picking the best player.  Just my opinion.  We just disagree.

I respect your opinion. I’m not arguing with you or @KB21 I just don’t think drafting Sarr keeps Trae here long term and I rather we keep Trae long term. We don’t do well in drafts , we miss way too often and if Sarr doesn’t pan out we will be set back for years on top of years. There are safer picks in this draft. I understand Edey is a reach for some to go in the top 5, fine…Clingan is right there and his defense has a very strong chance to transition over to the nba day 1.

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You have a rotation of Sarr and Okongwu at C.  Both are modern bigs who do everything.  They are versatile enough to be played together.  Both have perimeter offensive skill.  Both are great at guarding on the perimeter.  

I have no problem with Sarr but he is not a center. He’s an outstanding 7 foot player with great foot speed for his size. I love the idea of Jalen, Sarr, OO front court defensively as it gives us switchable lengthy , long players.

WHAT you and I disagree with is the fit for Trae and honestly Bogi assuming we trade Murray. Those two cannot fit in a switching defensive scheme in my opinion and they are a work in progress offensively with Jalen clearly being above the other 2 and no doubt Jalen offense will improve. Sarrs offense is a few seasons away and his offense is not what’s catching the eye of anyone. OO can hopefully continue getting better on spot up 3s , we’ll just have to see.

I get why you want Sarr and I’m not saying it’s wrong I just don’t think Trae can benefit from Sarrs style. Clingan is a better defensive center and anchor for TRAE…not saying he’s better defensively than Sarr because the styles are different.

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Also, Trae has to be in a switch defense because you don’t want him trying to fight over the top of the screen.  You want to be able to switch and recover.  

Trae fought through screens all season and showed he could do it.

what you don’t want Trae doing is switching on to bigger players who will punish him. We have already seen what happens when you put Trae on other positional players outside of Point guard. Synder was Traes first coach that didn’t try to hide him on defense and it showed that Trae can fight through screens and get at defensively.

we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, JTB said:

I respect your opinion. I’m not arguing with you or @KB21 I just don’t think drafting Sarr keeps Trae here long term and I rather we keep Trae long term. We don’t do well in drafts , we miss way too often and if Sarr doesn’t pan out we will be set back for years on top of years. There are safer picks in this draft. I understand Edey is a reach for some to go in the top 5, fine…Clingan is right there and his defense has a very strong chance to transition over to the nba day 1.

I have no problem with Sarr but he is not a center. He’s an outstanding 7 foot player with great foot speed for his size. I love the idea of Jalen, Sarr, OO front court defensively as it gives us switchable lengthy , long players.

WHAT you and I disagree with is the fit for Trae and honestly Bogi assuming we trade Murray. Those two cannot fit in a switching defensive scheme in my opinion and they are a work in progress offensively with Jalen clearly being above the other 2 and no doubt Jalen offense will improve. Sarrs offense is a few seasons away and his offense is not what’s catching the eye of anyone. OO can hopefully continue getting better on spot up 3s , we’ll just have to see.

I get why you want Sarr and I’m not saying it’s wrong I just don’t think Trae can benefit from Sarrs style. Clingan is a better defensive center and anchor for TRAE…not saying he’s better defensively than Sarr because the styles are different.

Those two are a far worse fit in a drop scheme because neither are POA defenders.  Also, Quin knows how drop coverage gets exposed in the playoffs.  He doesn’t want to be just a drop coverage scheme.  

Just now, KB21 said:

Those two are a far worse fit in a drop scheme because neither are POA defenders.  Also, Quin knows how drop coverage gets exposed in the playoffs.  He doesn’t want to be just a drop coverage scheme.  

We’ll agree to disagree. The only way the pick of Sarr works out this season is if we are also getting a new SG next to Trae who’s a POA defender. It can’t be Bogi or Murray SG next to Trae, if we are playing a switching defense.

IF we draft Sarr, there has to be a requirement to address SG. In my opinion drafting Sarr at #1 only to sit him is a waste, whoever we draft at number 1 will be starting. We aren’t that good to not be starting the number 1 pick.

Then maybe a switching defense scheme will work . There will be several covering Trae defensively which could work….it’s better than trying to cover both Trae & Murray or Bogi .

• Thanks 1

Just now, KB21 said:

Imagine trying to explain why you passed on a JJJ/Mobley/Chet/Wemby archetype to draft a Kessler/Lopez archetype.  

Yeah considering we don’t even need Sarr to score right now I think his greatest value is just the athletic profile to defend the influx of stretch bigs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustSomeGuy said:

Yeah considering we don’t even need Sarr to score right now I think his greatest value is just the athletic profile to defend the influx of stretch bigs. 

If you listen to some Hawks fans, they don’t believe there is an influx of these athletic mobile bigs.  They still believe that you need a post oriented slow footed big.  

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If you listen to some Hawks fans, they don’t believe there is an influx of these athletic mobile bigs.  They still believe that you need a post oriented slow footed big.  

Idk if id go that far as much as the consensus is Sarr is the highest ceiling player of a bad draft, Clingan isnt as raw, and Edey was just that dominant.

It makes the argument one you have to have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That’s not what we are saying smh 

I don’t think there’s an issue with drafting Sarr. The issue is the roster isn’t built to take full advantage of what he brings. Unless we are doing a huge shake up I’m just not confident.

also I have a fear of losing Trae by drafting such a raw player. 

Not hating on Sarr. I just know he needs more development. Clingan and Edey just happen to have more experience than him just overall so they are safer picks at this stage. Not that hard to understand that.

but hey if it makes you happy….if we take Trae completely out of this whole thing and base none of this on Traes best fit, style etc….i agree with drafting Sarr.

25 minutes ago, JustSomeGuy said:

Idk if id go that far as much as the consensus is Sarr is the highest ceiling player of a bad draft, Clingan isnt as raw, and Edey was just that dominant.

It makes the argument one you have to have. 

That’s all it is man. No one is trashing Sarr. He just needs more development. The guy is a 19 year old kid and we have a superstar player who is disgruntled about winning.

the risk of drafting sarr is two things…he don’t help immediately with winning (which is fair to say he won’t)..and second he doesn’t pan out to be any where near to star status. 

49 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Imagine trying to explain why you passed on a JJJ/Mobley/Chet/Wemby archetype to draft a Kessler/Lopez archetype.  

I don’t think Clingan or Edey will be a factor.. don’t think Quin is interested in that

Probably between Sarr and Risacher

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I don’t think Clingan or Edey will be a factor.. don’t think Quin is interested in that

Probably between Sarr and Risacher

Everyone should know that, but we still have fans who think of Mutombo when they think of center play.  

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, JTB said:

also I have a fear of losing Trae by drafting such a raw player. 

If Trae doesn't want to play with the most promising player in the draft class and demands out, there's nothing we can do about that.  Making suboptimal decisions to appease him is a recipe for long term mediocrity.  

• Like 3

Watching this OKC-MAVS game looking at some weak over the back calls between Lively and Holmgren thinking, yeah, Sarr can definitely play Center in today’s NBA. Centers may be tall these days but they are mostly all finesse. That includes Embiids flopping ass. Big men are too skilled today to fall in love with stiffs who can’t open their hips up while the move. Sarr is going to THRIVE in the league.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Watching this OKC-MAVS game looking at some weak over the back calls between Lively and Holmgren thinking, yeah, Sarr can definitely play Center in today’s NBA. Centers may be tall these days but they are mostly all finesse. That includes Embiids flopping ass. Big men are too skilled today to fall in love with stiffs who can’t open their hips up while the move. Sarr is going to THRIVE in the league.

image.gif.31a881db9f4dd75e3be1bfef887b21ee.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1