• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: " Hawks need to trade Trae Young"

Hawkmoor

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not in denial.  I just think it's a monumental mistake that will take years for this franchise to recover from.  From both a basketball and fan interest perspective.   You can't keep sending out talent and expect fans to be interested.  

Lots of folks spout the line 'this ain't 2k' well my fear is that Landry thinks it is.   That he wants to build what he thinks is the right way which basically means take it down to the studs and start over.  I'm tired of that crap.  If Trae goes then we're basically back to being a typical middle of the road team with no stars, no all stars, that might 'play the right way' as we're bounced by the first round every year until we ultimately just get rid of everyone good and collect draft picks again.  

5 hours ago, Wretch said:

My worst fear.  I wouldn't sit through that process again and it would be DISASTEROUS for a franchise that has been an afterthought for decades for this very reason.  I can't do it again.  I need relevancy and I would rather endure total failure than be a perennial punching bag for contenders.

Then they'll try to tell you to get excited......'WE'RE BUILDING AROUND OUR FIRST EVER NUMBER 1 PICK IN FRANCHISE HISTORY'

That's what they'll try to sell us while going thru another rebuild while Messy Ressy is under no pressure to attempt to put a real contending team together while collecting his share of the luxury tax payment from teams that are trying to contend.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I understand this sentiment but i'm just surprised.  Look at the playoffs (every year) there's not a single team in the playoffs that doesn't have at least one elite scorer.  Whether folks like Trae or not the numbers don't lie.  He is an elite offensive force.   Where are we going to get that?  

Luka, SGA, Jokic, Ant, Tatum (plus a bunch of other all star level players), Mitchell, Paolo, 

We won't have a player on our roster left anywhere near the level of any of these guys.   We'd just be hoping that JJ or Sarr gets there one day which likely they won't.  

And outside of Mitchell, all these guys were drafted by the team they play for.  Because you don't give up those guys.   So again we'd be forced to tank to try to find one again.  

This is a lot of my hesitation as well. 

Its Trae, Nique, andddd........??????

A lot of posters are a lot more comfortable seeing if this franchise can do something they have proven they have a VERY hard time doing. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

For what it's worth, I will be wholly disappointed if we trade Trae to the Spurs for picks back.  That signals we don't intend to win, and might even tactically tank next season.  I would be less disappointed, depending on the haul, if we trade him elsewhere for talent+picks.  I don't want our picks back, because I want us to be trying our hardest to win the next 3 seasons, which drives positive development. 

:good:

I've been railing against the pick back idea since it started in January when DJ became trade eligible. Unless you are turning around and trading those picks for real oncourt talent, it screams 'tanking'

Talent for picks is what we do, then when we struggle to win - it's why pay for a team that's not winning.

We are an unserious franchise.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Different scenarios though. Nique was traded without his knowledge vs. Trae requesting a trade. 
Or are you in favor of mortgaging the future for appeasing the star to keep him around a little longer?

Thats my feeling also (Trae wants to be traded).  Sarr is compensation to insure the Hawks are a marketable team.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it”.....Your Atlanta Hawks!

With the Atlanta Hawks, everything is on the table.  How would folks feel if they push back against the NBA and the luxury tax by off loading Trae, trading the first pick of the draft, and doing a "soft" rebuild around cheap contracts.  Remember, at the end of the day Travis Schlenk's vision didn't mesh with the Hawks bean counters (off loading Huerter, Gallinari, etc.). 

Whether I like Trae or not the Hawks wanted to build around only him and surround him with cheap contracts.  Murray (and Capela) was the exception and since it didn't work, Trae wants out. It was more than Trae and Schlenk not being on the same page. Everything is on the table with the Hawks.  The message is its not a foregone conclusion that they trade Trae and draft Sarr.  The double talk from Fields is want got me wondering exactly what they are gonna do.  The NBA wouldn't like it and would most likely do a dry search for new ownership in Atlanta.

Edited by Hawkmoor

I’m shopping 🛒 at the grocery store wearing Hawks gear and dude starts talking basketball 🏀.

We talked for about 5 min. Long story short, he was a dude from Denver who was rooting against the Nuggs (ok no problem I’m from the yay and hated GS forever) but then he likes the LAKERS..

At the end he manages to quickly throw in there..

”Trae is leaving broh I heard that.. , heard he’s going to the Lakers..

Me: :mellow:

Him: Ya, I heard it’s faaaa.. Vandy… ummm.. Reeves, Hachi and DLo. 

Him: Ahhh man that PNR with AD and Lebron and Bronny… woooohooooo that’s gonna be unreal to stop 🛑 bro..

Me: :jesus: (I aged n $hit during that convo hence the bearded full goatie)..

@kg01 that was bad bro.. real bad. I saw a LIVE one 😆 usually it’s over a keyboard. Restraint is a great thing. 

• Haha 4

The Hawks need to trade Trae to the Spurs and Lakers for #4, #8 more draft picks Vandy Reeves Hachi DLo.. Jeanie 🚌 and uhhhh that’s a full on rebuild and a beaut!  :upsidedown:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m shopping 🛒 at the grocery store wearing Hawks gear and dude starts talking basketball 🏀.

We talked for about 5 min. Long story short, he was a dude from Denver who was rooting against the Nuggs (ok no problem I’m from the yay and hated GS forever) but then he likes the LAKERS..

Him: Ahhh man that PNR with AD and Lebron and Bronny… woooohooooo that’s gonna be unreal to stop 🛑 bro..

@kg01 that was bad bro.. real bad. I saw a LIVE one 😆 usually it’s over a keyboard. Restraint is a great thing. 

Has anyone on this site *ever* had a decent Hawks conversation with a stranger? 

It's a complete wasteland out there lol

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

You aged mid-convo? 😆

Your emoji-self grew a beard and everything! 

That's stellar.

• Haha 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

Different scenarios though. Nique was traded without his knowledge vs. Trae requesting a trade. 
Or are you in favor of mortgaging the future for appeasing the star to keep him around a little longer?

I’ve seen nothing that makes me think Trae has requested a trade.  All we’ve seen from him publicly this offseason is saying he wants to win in Atlanta and praising his teammates and the kids who have come up through his camps.  I “appease” my star by building the best team around him not by doing what he says.  Sometimes those things may overlap.  Sometimes they won’t.  If I am GM the right call rests with me.  Trae will be a FA in two years.  That is plenty of time to go from where we ended last season to being in the range of a 5 seed type of team which I think would be satisfactory for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

I’ve seen nothing that makes me think Trae has requested a trade.  All we’ve seen from him publicly this offseason is saying he wants to win in Atlanta and praising his teammates and the kids who have come up through his camps.  I “appease” my star by building the best team around him not by doing what he says.  Sometimes those things may overlap.  Sometimes they won’t.  If I am GM the right call rests with me.  Trae will be a FA in two years.  That is plenty of time to go from where we ended last season to being in the range of a 5 seed type of team which I think would be satisfactory for him.

That’s in an ideal world. 
I’m going by what South or whoever mentioned Trae wants us to trade the number one pick and parts for a specific star to pair with him and if they don’t want to do that then he wants them to trade him. 
*If* that is essentially the case, how do you foresee it playing out if they don’t trade for the star player and they don’t trade Trae?
Do you think that will work out well? Will Trae just come around and say, “you know what, I know I’ve made multiple requests with the FO and you’ve always delivered, but now that you’re not going to, I think you’re right. I’m going to be a good trooper and play along with your plan.”

I don’t think so. In an ideal world, players play and GMs manage. But in today’s world, players with pull push the buttons. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

That’s in an ideal world. 
I’m going by what South or whoever mentioned Trae wants us to trade the number one pick and parts for a specific star to pair with him and if they don’t want to do that then he wants them to trade him. 
*If* that is essentially the case, how do you foresee it playing out if they don’t trade for the star player and they don’t trade Trae?
Do you think that will work out well? Will Trae just come around and say, “you know what, I know I’ve made multiple requests with the FO and you’ve always delivered, but now that you’re not going to, I think you’re right. I’m going to be a good trooper and play along with your plan.”

I don’t think so. In an ideal world, players play and GMs manage. But in today’s world, players with pull push the buttons. 

I get the whole, Trae wanting to win and getting players he might have wanted....but again the work of the front office doesn't end there. I've talked ad nauseum about Hawks moving oncourt talent and not replacing because 'mandate to get under the luxury tax, but still have these high expectations to keep winning. We see it, Trae sees it. Everybody sees it. That is the bigger issue.

• Like 4

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

I get the whole, Trae wanting to win and getting players he might have wanted....but again the work of the front office doesn't end there. I've talked ad nauseum about Hawks moving oncourt talent and not replacing because 'mandate to get under the luxury tax, but still have these high expectations to keep winning. We see it, Trae sees it. Everybody sees it. That is the bigger issue.

Trae had a hand in :

JC’s contract 

CC not getting traded

Trading for DJM

What else? Am I missing anything?

How have those requests paid off? And now they’re going to entertain another trade request? 

His hands aren’t clean. And I agree with you the cheap ass owners are only making everything worse. I don’t expect that to change unfortunately 😢

If they trade for Giannis, they will still be filling the rest of the roster with Mat(t)ews and Trent Forrests. Maybe resigning Bey to hang with Giannis’s brother on the bench who they recover all season. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I’ve seen nothing that makes me think Trae has requested a trade.  

We did get an insider report indicating he gave the FO an ultimatum.  But I guess there is no Woj report.

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Final_quest said:

We did get an insider report indicating he gave the FO an ultimatum.  But I guess there is no Woj report.

I don’t know what ultimatum has been given other than Trae saying he wants to win.  If Sarr turns into Bargnani 2.0 and we trade DJM for a role player and a 2026 protected first round pick he is probably going to have lost confidence in ownership and be ready to explore options.  If Sarr turns into Giannis 2.0, we trade DJM for a good player (let’s use Vassell as a placeholder) and a frontline of Hunter/JJ/Sarr/OO become a defensive powerhouse and the team is a top 5 seed in the playoffs I think Trae will be all on board.  If we trade for Giannis and become a contender he will be all on board.  

I don’t think Trae gets into the details of personnel moves and I’m pretty certain he has never had the power to override the front office on anything.  He just wants the team to be legit moving towards winning a ring and not falling away from it or treading water while shedding salary.  This is my unsourced opinion/speculation.

• Thanks 2