• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dan Dickau

ATLien_

With all this trade JT stuff floating around I wanted to take the time to analyze Dickau's game. Since some think he will be our Pg of the future. shocked.gif

1) Athleticism, I find Dickua to be very average speed and athleticism wise. I think you can see this when he shoots. He kind of does the WNBA step jump shot. While it's not a problem if he is wide open, I forsee him having trouble getting his shot off against good defenders.

2) Ball Handling- He seems to be a solid ballhanlder imo nothing spectacular, but he can handle the rock. He is good at bringing it up the court but again I see him having trouble beating a traps, because of his lack of height and speed.

3) Awareness- From watching that one summer league game this seems to be his strong point. He laid out some nice passes in that game. He also showed the awareness to look at the clock at the end of the half to see how much time he had. He is definitley better in this department then JT as a rookie I will admit that.

4)Shooting- Im am not sold that he is a great shooter. His shot looks very awkward to me. He really doesn't jump to high when he shoots, and I noticed his shots seemed flat because of this. I think this will make him a hit or miss shooter, because if you are going to shoot flat like that you either swish it or brick it. No shooters touch there. I'm not sure in this category I need to see a lot more of him. He will be lucky to be as good a shooter as JT.

5) Defense- From what I saw in that one game he isn't a very good one on one defender. He was easily crossed by CBA players so I can only imagine what NBA Pg's will do to him. I like to think he will become an average defender when he gets used to the speed of the game. That being said he will never have great steal numbers because he lacks the quickness. ( he will have to be sneaky like Stockton to get a lot of steals)

In Conclusion: I don't think he will be as good as JT at PG. I think he is more like Nash then Stockton, even though he hates that comparison. I think he will start at some point in his career, but It won't be with us if JT is here.

I like Dickua though. He is a winner and a competitor much like JT. I can imagine many good offseason battles between the two, and maybe a scuffle or two. I like him being here because he definitley has the talent to make JT work even harder on his short comings.

Final prognosis: I think Dickua will be somwhere between Stockton and Nash. I don't think he will score as well as Nash. I also don't think he will be as good as a distributor or defender as Stockton. He will be solid NBA PG and a steal at 29.

that's funny chilllzat...i think that sometimes also...i honestly think it's the hair though cuz it's floppy...it's hard to compare a guy with floppy hair with a guy like tim hardaway whose hair is not floppy...he's a nash guy all the way...

I agree with ATLien I'm not sold on DD at all, and I've been watching for 2 years. Also I just started to notice, but why is it DD is compared to every white point gaurd to play in the last 20 years. Personally he reminds me of a sissyball version of Rumuel Robinson, with less athletic ability and more court awareness, mind you not much more.

Guest Walter

YOU compared him to a combination of Stockton and Craig "I'm a Sg not a Pg but I guess because I'm white I satisfy BHD's playa' hate requirements" Ehlo.

The worst part (besides the fact that you suggest being "just" a combination of Stockton and Ehlo would not only not be good but would not be worthy of a #29 pick) is that you now reach to compare DD to a black player (one you dislike).

"Personally he reminds me of a sissyball version of Rumuel Robinson, with less athletic ability and more court awareness, mind you not much more."

So, DD reminds you of Robinson except like every other white player you've sighted he plays "sissy ball", he has less athletic ability (I assume because he is white.), and he has more court awareness. Come to think of it he's NOTHING LIKE ROBINSON given your description.

Court awareness is probably the biggest descriptive factor regarding a Pg. To compare two Pgs as alike yet contrast their level of court awareness (amongst a list of other things) is a [censored] joke!

Also, I disagree with your characterization that DD does not have MUCH more court awareness than Robinson. He does.

W

Stockton is a future Hall of Famer and one of the top 3 or 4 point guards of all team. He's the NBA's career assists leader and one of the toughest players in the league.

Personaly, I feel the league is tremendously flawed because of the playground atmosphere. Too much emphasis is put on dunking the basketball, and not enough emphasis is put on shooting the basketball or playing with fundamentals.

the And1 commercials and tournaments playing in the NBA. Yeah there will be exceptions, but very few. Kobe could take any player in the world one on one I believe, including those Rucker Park guys, but no way would he have ever gotten this far had his game not been rooted in fundamentals.

Makes me wonder though, is Kobe a sissy Euro baller too? smile.gif

Dolfan23 : Kobe is the sheer antithesis of sissyball he is graceful, moves well sissyballers are always mechanical looking i.e. Matt Harpring

Walter : ??? I think you just like arguing with me. Craig Ehlo was a SG in a PG body who did nothing but shoot wide open jumpers. DD did the same thing at Gonzaga, I've been watching. I'm just not sold on the kid.

PS Dolfan23 as for your hatred of Rucker Park you should have gone to the game at Morehouse College this weekend although I was preoccupied with women, what I saw was great. Point blank why the hate why is it that any sissyballer has great "fundamentals" and everybody else is undisipline.You have defended more scrubs than I care to mention.

I think And1 is doing a great thing for basketball if Stern and the knownothings at the league office marketed the NBDL the way And1 and other market Rucker Park, mind you a small park in New York, we would have a chance at a real minor league for basketball. And1 tapped into the same vien that the Harlem Globtrotters did so long ago. Basketball as enter tainment. And1 drew a crowd of nearly 8,000 to a game featuring most unknowns. I see something the league can learn from.

Maybe finding unknown talent from Run and Shoot and Park leagues might be the next big fad I remember on the old board a time when everyone hated Euro players.

Oh and one more thing Kobe and T.Parker are both from Europe and neither is a sissyballer, I dont hate Euro players I just hate sissyball. Even Hendu doesn't play sissyball.

Every black Euro baller you mention is not a sissyballer, but then as an example you bring up an American player (IE Harpring) to show what a Euro sissy baller is. Nothing new from you, just the same old regurgitated stuff.

Ya know, if those showboats from Rucker park and the And1 commercials had the brains to get into college or the ability to actually play ORGANIZED basketball (which is what the NBA is) then they would be in the NBA. It wont matter if they play in the NBDL for years, they wont make it into the NBA, with the exception of a player or two who decides that he can learn how to play ORGANIZED basketball.

By the way, I dont hate Rucker park, in fact I enjoy watching showboat basketball on occassion, but I would never want to watch it over the real NBA game because I value intelligent team play over 10 guys going back and forth dunking on one another. I see that almost everyday at the park here where I play ball at, and from HS kids too. It doesnt take much other than being tall to dunk on someone. That is sissyball to me.

Strange how you say that Hendu doesnt play sissyball also. Ironic that he is black. Comical because just about everyone who watches basketball knows that Hendu does play soft sissyball.

Think what you want, but European basketball players coming into the NBA are exactly what this league needed. This league was running out of stars, and many of the best players in the league today are now from overseas. They have made the NBA far and away more entertaining and competitive. No longer are scrubs from college being drafted based on potential. They have to try and get picked up as a FA and then work their asses off in training camp to make a squad, or go to the NBDL. If you cannot see how European players have helped the NBA then you I dont know even know why I would expect you to understand my response here.

This is not a personal attack. So don't even try getting riled up.

Dolfan23 I am amazed you would call someone stupid for not going to college. If I recall you were in the armed force a organization that constist of many people without a college education. Most cops and firemen who you called "real heroes" dont have college educations. Yet you say "Ya know, if those showboats from Rucker park and the And1 commercials had the brains to get into college". Are you their intellectual superior? Many people dont get an opportunity to play HS or coll ball b/c of poor grades or even sometime circumstance. Lets not judge.

Anyway let me know if you want I will compile a list of White non sissyballers for you. And if you dont recall I was defending Hanno when you all where burning him in effigy. But that aside, There just aren't that many top tier white players, I don't know why its just a fact, therefore there just aren't many white player who wouldn't qaulify as a sissyballer. The league is more than 80% African , It only makes sense that the majority of the best players will be African. Hell the Euro leauge is 30 - 40 % African. MY OBSERVATIONS ARE RACE NEUTRAL. When I start attacking someone like Drazen Petrovich then imply I am racist oterwise prove your point on fact and reason.

BHD, you went to the game the other night, if you recall, what was the final score?

Now, I too enjoy watching streetball. Some of the moves, passes, and dunks they can pull off are amazing. But, that's about where it ends for those guys. Other than those three areas, they have no game. They can't shoot, they can't play D, and they couldn't play as a "team" if their life depended on it.

You've heard of Rafer Alston, correct? Rafer is also known as street legend Skip To My Lou. He is the only streetballer to make it to the NBA in recent years. According to some I've talked to, he's was easily the most popular player on the Bucks' roster. He had more kids begging him for autographs than Allen, Cassell, or Robinson. I heard over 50% of the e-mails that the Bucks get are concerning Alston. The man has a worldwide cult following.

But, because his game consists mostly of crossover dribbles and behind-the-back passes, he rarely got in game for the Bucks. And 1 games are full of bricks and turnovers. That works in the NBA All-Star Game, but it won't work for 82 games a year.

Dickau is my boy. Followed his whole career through college. But I'm not going to jump to conclusions yet. Of course he is already one of my fav Hawks with JT but for people calling him Hawks PG of future...I really don't know yet. Remember JT was supposed to be our PG of future. I also remember Bobby Hurley. He was one of the best in college. But when he got to NBA he never could get off the bench.

I'm going to just wait and see how Dickau handles the high speed power game of the NBA.

Guest Walter

In reply to:

"6' 7" 205 lbs Shooting Guard Years Pro: 14"

http://hometown.aol.com/ehlomint/Ehlostats.html

He only shot jumpers? This is a SHOOTING guard we are talkin about here so he definately did shoot, but worse than that, Ehlo shot 45% from the field or around thereabouts for his career. If he was only shooting jumpers and managed to shoot that GD well he should be in the hall of fame.

The Pg sized, jump shooting "Ehlo" must be some other white guy your dissin'.

Regardless, a combination of Stockton and Ehlo is pretty f***in' good, especially for a #28 pick (much less the mid 2nd you wouldn't spend any higher on DD for).

Get a clue!

W

Yes I was in the Armed Forces. I was an Army Ranger and I was stationed in Georgia. You wanna know why I went in? Numerous reasons and this will really get me going, but thats okay here goes.

First, for Patriotism. Every male (except my no good brother lol) in my family has served in the Armed Forces going back almost a hundred years. I felt that I owed it to the country for that.

Secondly, I scored well enough on my SATs and had a high enough GPA when I graduated from HS so that I got accepted into Texas A&M and Duke University. Sadly though, I didnt get enough scholarship money and my parents werent rich enough to pay for me to go.

Lastly, I lost out on a full ride to A&M because I am white. Flat out, plain and simple I was told by the Head of Admissions at Texas A&M that they have a minority quota to fill and that they had to give my scholarship to someone less qualified because they were a minority. That really pissed me off and although I dont blame minorities for that, it screwed me out of a great education, but I perservered.

I came within 2 points of Maxing the ASVAB test, which as a former recruiter I can promise you is almost never seen, and I got all the best scholarship money that I could from the Army and I served my time. I got out and then went to A&M, but I didnt really enjoy it up there so I came back and am now in school at the Art Institute of Houston doing what I love.

So basically I overcame coming from a mid-level home financial wise and being discriminated against because I am white and am almost to the point where I want to be in life. I dont consider myself anyones intellectual superior.

In reply to:

Many people dont get an opportunity to play HS or coll ball b/c of poor grades or even sometime circumstance. Lets not judge.

Isnt that first excuse exactly what I brought up? Is it my fault that they didnt get good grades? I have seen the dumbest people in the world get good grades because of hard work and perserverence. Secondly, I dont know what kinda cirumstances are preventing kids from working hard and getting good grades, but maybe they shouldnt spend so much time learning to dunk on a basketball court and they should spend more time studying? How about that? I have been through hell in my life, the likes of which I will not get into here, but I can promise you that I know what its like to have to work hard to get where you want to be in life. So, the part about me calling someone stupid for not going to college.......ANYONE can get to college if they really want to. There are many programs set up to help people get there. The problem is that too many kids dont care these days. Thats the problem with America.

He will never be confused with Francis, Payton, B. Davis or those atheletic pg we see now.

Stockton has worked out with the kid for two summers now and he grew up idolizing him and even went to Stockton's alma-mata, Gonzaga. That is why the comparisons are made. No one on this board started the comparison of Dickua to Price though it is accurate. Craig Ehlo started this comparion that everyone now uses b/c it is probably the most accurate. Ehlo should know, he, like stockton has worked out with Dickua b/c he lives near Gonzaga and was teamates of Price for 10 years, so is that not a valid comparison. What the "H" is your point.

So don;t criticise these comparison b/c "any short,white pg will be compared to other white pgs. " It is Dickua talent and not the color of his skin that draws these comparisons.

i think his game is also similar to Moochie Norris, a black guy, to make everyone happy.

But anyway the only black pg's in the league who play under control like {Stockton and Price}are Andre Miller, and maybe Payton though he talks more smack than anyone in the NBA.

Francis, B. Davis, Van Excel, and Marbury are all good but play out of control and are too selfish at times. I don't think any of those 4 could play pg succesfully with a 5 star player b/c they are to selfish.

The 2 best pure pg in the league now, in my opinion is Bibby and Kidd. Both are 1/2 white and 1/2 black. Calling them black is unaccurate just like saying Tiger is black {when he is 1/2 Asian}.I don't know if this is coincidence or not but they have the best overall games. This is proven by how far they went in the playoffs.

Anyway the color of one's skin should not matter so much, these are just simple comparisons. Please read this with an open mind before some of you react out of control or without really thinking about what you are really saying.

Guest Walter

Euro players play with a great deal of "grace". Dirk is graceful with and without the ball despite being 7'0".

Simply, I do not understand your confusing positions. You complain that Europlayers (and other white basketball players) are sissyballers yet you solely use a term like "graceful" to describe an apparent non-sissyballer like Kobe. Are non-sissyballers "soft", "curteous", and "effiminate" too because "graceful" does not inspire visions of Rucker Park. Similarly, you complain about the comparison of DD to white players AFTER you have incessantly compared a "best case DD" to a combination of John Stockton and Craig Ehlo. There may not be a whiter player than John Stockton if you haven't noticed. Ehlo is only slightly less "white".

I could go on but you'll take it as a personal affront to be rightly called out for your ignorance.

W