• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stotts Firing Leaves Many Questions

jaywalker72

http://hawks.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=440

As word came down Thursday night that Terry Stotts had been relieved of his duties as Hawks front man, the news wasn’t as shocking as maybe the timing of the firing was to people that have watched this team closely.

Most who were there towards the end of the season saw a coach that wasn’t being endorsed as the future or maybe even the present solution for the team and while he was respected by new ownership and likely even General Manager Billy Knight, Stotts wasn’t likely to be the guy that the team was going to move on with, leaving his situation as lame duck as it gets.

We thought aloud that it would be surprising if Stotts was left as coach longer than a week after the season ended, allowing for a head start on coaching searches with most other teams pinned down by their own new coaches or by the playoffs. Some sources speculated that, indeed, one week might be all the time needed to evaluate the future and to let Stotts know that, despite his good efforts, that the team was ready to start anew.

The Doc Rivers hiring by the playoff swept Boston Celtics sent shockwaves through the city and Hawks fans. Rivers was the popular candidate on the rumor mill and seemed to fit the ownership group mantra of “attitude and gratitude”, tying the team’s past with the team’s future.

But the sudden hiring of Rivers and the not-so-sudden decision on whether or not to let Stotts go seemed to indicate that either or neither Rivers nor the Hawks wanted such an arrangement. With that event, it seemed to indicate that maybe Stotts wasn’t going anywhere, a sentiment shared by Hawks fans, to little anger which was surprising.

So it seems that this odd timing brings up the usual cache of questions:

1. Why do this now?

The answers could be as follows:

A. The Hawks simply didn’t know whether or not a coaching move was the right one until this time.

With a team that will surely be starting over, was it going to make sense to wash out a coach was wasn’t embarrassing the franchise while paying a replacement seven figure to replace him?

It’s possible that Knight and Co. simply wanted to be sure the right guy for next year wasn’t the guy they already had under contract and simply waited until they knew for sure that he wasn’t to do the firing.

B. Billy Knight was waiting to make sure he had a replacement ready to go.

When the Detroit Pistons fired Rick Carlisle after last season, it wasn’t without a sure fire replacement waiting to come onboard, in this case Larry Brown. So too, it may result, that the Hawks and Billy Knight were simply waiting to get confirmation that the coach they want to hire is willing to come to terms with the team and now that they have it, they can move forward.

After all, why fire Stotts if it turns out after you do that he is the best coach for this team next season. Now that they have let him go, it’s possible they have that person ready to be announced.

C. The Ownership Group took too long to make up their mind.

This is this least likely but sure to be brought up scenario: That due to the many owners (chefs in the kitchen), the decision making process regarding the coaching situation simply bogged down and didn’t come to a head until after the Rivers hiring.

The ownership group has said time and time again that Knight is their man and will make the decisions on matters such as coaching, and while Billy will be keeping CEO Bernie Mullin and principal owners Steve Belkin and Michael Gearon, Jr. abreast of such decisions, the group has stated full trust in Billy and wouldn’t have taken a long time “debating” such a decision, especially if Knight felt it was time critical.

2. If they were going to fire Stotts, then why not go after Doc Rivers?

While Doc Rivers was always the most public name out there, there were a few things that may have been working against Rivers being coach of the Hawks.

First off, Rivers is very hands on as a coach, and if you followed the gossip trail from Orlando, Rivers and John Gabriel may have butted heads more than once regarding a draft pick.

Billy Knight might have been more comfortable with a coach that wasn’t going to want to have as much say regarding personnel decisions or Rivers may not have wanted to go into a situation where he didn’t have those strings this time.

Also, it was Doc that told Dominique not to report to the Orlando Magic after the miserable season ‘Nique spent with Chuck Daly. Doc reportedly told Wilkins that he would get paid the last season on his contract, but don’t show up. Such an unceremonial ending might still bother Wilkins, and when he was asked about coaches last season, Doc’s name wasn’t on the short list of guys he would have liked to see in Atlanta.

3. Alright then, who is going to coach this team?

A. Byron Scott

The marquee name on the market right now, Scott only led the Nets to 2 straight Eastern Conference championships. Scott comes from the transition/up and down floor game that Knight wants this franchise to run and was never rumored to be butting in on personnel issues, and even if he did it wasn’t public like the Magic’s dirty laundry.

Also, Scott may have had a connection with Billy Knight while Scott was serving with the Pacers.

B. Mike Fratello

If the Hawks decide to go old school, Hubie Brown style, then Fratello’s name would be on the list. After publicly saying he wouldn’t mind coaching Atlanta again during a TNT telecast two seasons ago, Fratello would be a link to that attitude-of-gratitude culture the team wants to create.

However, Mike didn’t exactly burn up the floor during his last coaching stint in Cleveland, but that likely had more to do with the skill sets of his team rather than style preference.

C. Lionel Hollins

A coach that Shareef Abdur-Rahim said “didn’t get a fair chance” his first time through, Hollins may be the temporary choice for the next two seasons, and he has the previous connection with Knight.

One problem with Hollins is the question of whether it would be worth letting Stotts go to bring in a similarly accomplished coach like Hollins. It seems like if Stotts was going to be let go, it would be to upgrade the position, otherwise it would be better for the team to keep the continuity.

D. Eric Musselman

We know, we know….He isn’t available yet, but Chris Mullin’s foot has been firmly planted on EMuss’s back since Mullin got there. EMuss is this writer’s choice for job due to his fantastic energy, his focus on changing a losing environment into a winning one, and his previous relationships with Jason Terry and Bob Sura, both of whom sign off on the idea of a Musselman coached team.

Musselman was also widely liked by the fans of the team, who liked his fiery approach and his X’s and O’s acumen. Though he also has not had a winning season as an NBA head coach, he made great changes in Oakland, despite constant personnel changes there.

Musselman was rumored to have wanted Oakland to hurry up and make up their minds on what they want to do with him so he can begin to pursue his next post, naming Orlando and Atlanta as potential fits for him.

However, the fact that the team made this move Thursday night, might mean that the Hawks already have their next man, which would presumably leave Musselman heading further south.

• Premium Member

Good read.

I think it boils down to Fratello and Scott. I would like Fratello over Scott. Hollins is interesting and Emuss is also, but Emuss is out because of the very reasons you said. He's also not getting the Orlando job.

One thing you didn't touch on is what players will be back. Just like Stotts was a stand in, in Knights mind, many of the players are stand ins also. In other words, what they did down the stretch meant very little. So the question... Will guys like Sura, Pryz, Collier, etc be back? I'm starting to doubt it. Actually, I'm starting to seriously think that JT may have a mark on his back too. From last years negotiations with JT, you have to realize that Knight is a very strewd, patient, business man. Under Knight, I doubt that we will overpay anybody who doesn't fit within our need.

It all makes you say... Hmm.....

• Admin

I like the coaches on your list Jay.

I hope they make the right decision and soon. Its time to start the next phase of the Atanta Hawks. The starting over phase. If we can get the right coach we might be able to attact some really good FAs.

I think it's fantastic. And I really have nothing against stotts either. He could do ok given the right circumstance. But now the new management has finally made their first official move. They will ring in their new era with a new coach, and some new free agents.

Once again, if you want to attract anyone to ATL, you have to make it as clear as can be that this is a new situation. New owners, new coach, renewed hope. This was step 2.

I say good job

I personally would like to see fratello or musselman, but just about anyone would do. Not sure about scott , it depends if he has an assistant who is an "x's and o's" type

I'm with Lascar, step two, and I also hope we already had an agreement of sorts with Fratello and will announce soon. Musselman kinda reminds of a young Fratello but I think we need the media attention Fratello and a few high end draft picks and free agent signees will bring us.

Avery Johnson has been getting alot of press about becoming a future NBA coach, might be worth a looksy. Looking at the great job Terry Porter has done this is an avenue worth exploring.

But yes, I sincerely hope a new coach was decided on before the firing and now they're hammering down the details. Something like that anyway.

• Premium Member

Can't say that I blame them. I don't think he should be fired based on performance; but, then again, he never really impressed me. I'm sure he'll get another chance though.

I think it comes down to Fratello or Scott as the popular choices amongst us; which means the Hawks will go with Collins, Carlisimo, or Karl. smirk.gif

Seriously, I would like to see the Czar - an old school coach who knows the game. He's got personality and has proven that he can coach some damn basketball. I've heard too much about Byron Scott and his attitude/ego problems. The last thing I want to see is guys that are supposed to be our future riding pine for half a season. I'd take Muss over him too, but I think he'll be in Golden State for at least another year.

I am pleased to see Stotts exit, and I was getting a bit worried that Knight would keep him around for another season. The lack of respect the players/fan had for him, was enough for him to exit.

I don't see how we would of gained any positive free agents this offseason if Stotts was around. It's not like I see us signing alot of guys or even a star for that matter, but we would of went no where with Stotts around. Most of the free agents our restricted, but we can offer Kobe a MAX contract, and hope he accepts. My point is the % chance of us signing anyone with Stotts around would of been slim, and I just can't picture anyone from Kobe or K-Mart wanting to sign with the Hawks if Stotts were to be there next coach.

Knight did the right thing this time, but he did wait a bit to long, unless he knew Doc wanted "control" which Knight wasn't willing to give.

Cheers to oh ward.

Doc did not get control in Boston, so I don't know how much the control thing factored in. In fact, I read somewhere that Doc stated that he was a coach and did not want control. Maybe Doc just wanted to feel he could trust the guy pulling the strings to do what is best for the team he coaches.

If this team hires Byron Scott, it will be a huge mistake. Byron has NO intensity and this team will not listen to him. In my opinion, this team needs a fiery type that can kick some butt. The whole city should hope that Denver gets rid of Byzelik so he can get in Atlanta ASAP. Otherwise, Fratello would be a good no nonsense guy...

Fratello would be one of the guys on the top of my list, and I don't trust Scott fully. I think he had some control problems, and was unable to get his team focus. Ya...Ya...Ya..I know he took his team to the championship, but alot that had to do with the players he had. I still think Kidd was the glue the entire time, and Scott received alot of credit until the story ended.

How does K-Mart like Scott? We all know Kidd disliked the guy, but any word on how the rest of the team liked him?

If Denver is dumb enough to let Byzdelik go, that is the direction that Atlanta needs to go. I am guessing the new ownership may want to go with a more recognized name but that might be a mistake. And, please do not let me hear the name George Karl because he would never take the job not succeed. He is too easy going.

The more I read these arguments against Scott, the more I wonder how many other coaches in the league rely heavily upon there assistant coaches to contribute to the x's and o's.

Even if Scott was not the one watching the tapes, I am sure that he was intimately involved in developing the game plan.

Would Scott's working relationship with Eddie Jordan (who is said to have been responsible for NJ's Princeston offense) be any different from Phil Jackson's early working relationship with Tex Winter.

I am not trying to defend Byron here. In fact I don't want Byron Scott as the Hawks coach because I do not think he made good adjustments during games. I only wonder what is the norm. How many times have you seen a head coach not be available for a game, and the team rolls on?

In regards to Stotts:

"The lack of respect the players" ~ anyone else have any comments on this? I never heard much of it, esp. in the later on, once Stotts got his feet wet a little bit. Granted, Stotts, at current point, appears to be a coach that needs a certain type of player(s), as he has a particular type of offense that he likes to run, and many players, particularly Reef and other slow down, half court players like him, don't fit this system, and therefore the players, and the team, struggles. But rarely did I hear of players not respecting him

"Cheers to oh ward"

what the hell does this mean?

"Knight did the right thing this time, but he did wait a bit to long, unless he knew Doc wanted "control" which Knight wasn't willing to give."

I couldn't agree more. It's not the job of the coach. They should have input, but there's a reason that the GM/coach combo hasn't worked in any pro sports franchise. the temptation to tinker, to change, in essence for one to not dig in their heels and deal with the hand they've been dealt is simply too great...not to mention the time restrictions necessitated by the duality.

the problem with your analysis is that not only was Eddie the x's and o's guy behind the offense (gotta give a shout out to my alma mater's princeton offense that's still thriving in the playoff's, with both the Kings and the "Nets")., but that, if you kept up with things, Eddie was also the chief palyer liason, not Scott.

While I'm not sure what Scott did, ie invested most [i/] of his time in, it was neither player relation nor x's and o's...a sure recipe for eventual failure....unless he brought us Kobe under a 7 year max contract....at which point we could re-evaluate and see where the chips fall, perhaps hiring a new coach in due time if times continued to remain less than truly fortuitous.