• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Phoenix interested in Josh Smith

thescout5

Prep star shows Suns his off-the-chart skills

Paul Coro

The Arizona Republic

Jun. 7, 2004 12:00 AM

When he went up, up and away, Josh Smith jumped out at Suns brass Sunday.

The America West Arena apparatus that measures prospects' vertical leaps had to be extended for the first time after Smith went above the standard height.

Have a question for your favorite Suns, Cardinals or D-Backs player? Click here to submit the question for one of our reporters to take it to the source. Look for the answers on Page 2 of Saturday's Arizona Republic.

Smith's vertical leap was 37 3/4 inches, supporting the 6-foot-8 swingman's reputation as the most athletic player available in the June 24 draft. Smith is a Georgian who just graduated from Virginia's Oak Hill Academy, where he played as a senior.

"Josh Smith is an unbelievable talent," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "Athletically, he's probably one of the best leapers I've seen. He's got a lot of upside and a lot of talent."

The Suns knew he could jump, but they have plenty of other characteristics to ponder if Smith is still available when Phoenix picks at No. 7. Many of the queries have to do with his effort, something that was not an issue Sunday, as it had been in his previous workout in Charlotte, N.C. When stoked, Smith responded Sunday.

"That's what they say about high school kids," D'Antoni said of Smith's reputation for inconsistent effort. "When you're so talented and it comes so easily - he's never been pushed - that's something you need to be careful about saying. I've never seen a high school kid have a lot of effort.

" . . . You can always pick things he can't do, but I know a lot of things he can do, and it's pretty impressive."

Sebastian Telfair, another high school phenom, joined Smith on Sunday. Both already have signed multimillion-dollar deals with adidas.

Telfair was sidelined Sunday by a groin pull. Despite hype including a Sports Illustrated cover, the New York point guard appears bound for the back half of the first round.

Some top-10 team likely will be too awestruck by Smith's athleticism and decent jumper to pass on his star potential. He has worked out for teams with the Nos. 4 through 7 picks.

"I'm getting more and more comfortable," he said with his low-key demeanor. "I'm kind of feeling my swag a little bit."

Smith commanded quite an audience at times, including the new power quartet of incoming owner Robert Sarver, Chairman Jerry Colangelo, President/General Manager Bryan Colangelo and adviser Steve Kerr.

Phoenix also worked out European pros Sasha Vujacic, a 6-7 Slovenian point guard, and Anderson Varejao, a 6-10 Brazilian power forward.

If the hawks don't draft Smith at 6 or move up to get Howard they won't get either player.The article mentions Smith veritcal jump at 37 3/4 I thought Dominque's was around 42-44 and Jordan's the same if not a little higher.Smith the few games I have seen does not remind me of Wilkins in terms of power on his dunks.I will always remember Dominque patented dunk when the ball would bounce off the rim on a free throw back at him and he would jam it in off the free throw.I have not seen a player do this yet although Vince Carter probably is capable!

His vertical isnt bad, but its not awe inspiring by any means. Most people dont know this, but Chris Chambers has the highest vertical leaping ability of anyone in the NFL and that is I believe 44". Not bad for a guy who is only 5'11". Just in case anyone wants to know, Randy Moss comes in 2nd at 42".

I just think its funny that guys who are supposed to be these super freaks that can jump out of the gym and only (not that I can do it or anything) but only get 36". Thats pretty funny that Chris Chambers is 9" shorter than Josh Smith and can almost touch the same spot on the backboard that Josh can.

I would be very shocked to see the Suns draft Josh Smith.

They have no need for him, and that really need to focus on their needs. I think they just wanted to give him a workout, so they can get a good look at him. I don't see anything coming from it, but atleast other people get to read about the workout.

Josh Smith doesn't seem to be the player people are making him out to be, but let him prove those people wrong. I can understand why he is said to be slipping, but I don't see him falling to the 17th pick. Teams will be willing to take a chance on him before that pick, so if the Hawks are that high on him they better draft him with the 6th.

I hope that somenody takes hom before the Hawks can. The Hawks don't need athletes. They need basketball players. They need to take the "Moneyball" philosophy from baseball and apply it to basketball. Draft players based on performance, not potential.

I agree, if the trade for T-Mac happenes.

I see the Suns going with a center, instead of looking at other needs first. They really need a center badly, and that have had this problem for YEARS now.

Quote:

If they send Marion/Johnson to Orlando for Tmac, they will need a Swing player.

They could be an awesome team....

Nash/Tmac/Jo Smith/Stoudamire/C.

There are two lines of thinking going into the draft.

1. You can try to select a player that fills a weakness on your team.

2. You select the best player available, regardless of need.

The Suns have always taken a "best player available" strategy in the draft. Yes, our greatest need is at center but I think they'll address that need by signing Okur at about 8 million per.

The Suns brass loves athletes. They fell in love with Amare based purely on his athleticism. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Smith or Igoudala at #7. Sadly it looks like Kobe is sticking with the Lakers.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I think that they will address their need at C with Okur or Damp or Foyle as well. I think they could take Iggy if he's still there and when a lot of favor with fanbase... Even if he doesn't play.. However, I don't think they will automatically pass on Biedrins.

Since we got you here on one of your rare occassions,

What's wrong with Voskuhl??

Voskuhl isn't strong enough to hold his ground against the bigger centers in the league and he has zero offensive skills. He's a tremendous hustler and gives max effort every night which is why he has a spot in the league but he's a 10-11th man at best.

had 40+" vertical leaps. There may have been a few such as Tom Chambers but I don't know if many. On the other hand, a LOT of guys shorter than 6 feet have tremendous vertical leaps. Just last year, TJ Ford was measured at 41" at the combine.