• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Role Players can win championships!

cyman3

IMO, DET does not have any allstars on their team... and nobody on the team is a top 10 MVP candidate... in fact, all of them have limited games... they all have their strengths and weakness... none of them are superstars

it kinda goes back to the debate... who would u rather have, PEJA or PIERCE? peop who chose PIERCE picked him b/c they thought he had more superstar-like game...

if i had to pick, id still pick PEJA.

and back to the hawks, cant we just use all our players... maximize our strengths, play our game, define roles, and play as role players... and win a championship based on defense like the PISTONS?

and copy their blueprint?

man, it'd be easier if we kept RATLIFF... lol

Instant gratification. That's what everyone wants.

Rebuilding will take time, especially if we do it right.

We have tried it the other way. Get great players and

a "Name" coach and hope everything fits together. That

is the same formula that the Lakers used for this year's

team and last night we saw the results.

No doubt who had the "Greatest" I.E., name players. Also,

no doubt about which one was the team. The team won.

The great individuals didn't. Gotta be a lesson in there somewhere, don't you think???

Hawks now have two choices. Obtain several young hopeful

future stars, let them grow and learn together, adding

other young players over the next couple of years as

the opportunity presents its self and filling in with

cheaper type free agents while the young ones mature

into the team we want.

Option two. Blow all our money on two or three "Super"

free agents and hope we can find enough pieces to make

a run for the playoffs right away. We could probably

get a couple of players from the Lakers for all the

players we have under contract and all our draft picks

for this season. Any takers???

Another subject. Now that the championship has been

decided, everyone who might want to be our next head

coach and who our G.M. wants to hire are now free and

out there. Who will we choose and who will come?

Also, who will the Bobcats take in the expansion draft?

We can now see who was made available. Whoever is left

over after they draft could be available in a trade or

trades, at least I would think so. I'm sure we would

trade Henderson if someone was looking for cap space

when his contract runs out at the end of the season.

He may stay around until near the trading deadline, then

the Hawks might move him. Someone is sure to want the

cap relief that move would provide.

Let the building process begin!! Exciting? You bet!!

Hawks finished last season with an exciting team. We

didn't win a lot of games, but we were right there,

being competetive every night. I expect to begin next

season the same way, but with a lot of new players who

will be the foundation for years and years.

Go Hawks !!!!!

• Admin

Billups became a superstar in this series. Now it's up to him to continue to deliver on it. Ben Wallace was already a superstar. The only people who wouldn't recognize him as such are those who feel that an NBA game isn't good unless you break 100 points.

Why would it be easier with Ratliff? There is NO comparison between him and Wallace. Wallace is tough, doesn't get pushed around,can rebound and is a heck of a man to man defender. Ratliff is a good weak side shotblocker with mediocre man to man skills and that's about it. HUGE difference.

There is nothing for us to copy in the Pistons formula. They got good players and a good coach. That has been the formula for winning basketball since Naismith put a round ball through the peach basket.

• Premium Member

Don't take this wrong. I love the Pistons and I am very very glad that they beat LAL!!!!

However, I think that trying to duplicate their team would not be wise. Their blueprint worked this year because of their personnell and their coaching. While it's true tha they didn't have a superstar.... It's also true that they have some pretty Unique players.

Tayshun Prince is Long

Ben Wallace is a monster on the boards.

Chauncey and Rip are just fast.

That combination worked for the Lakers but it almost failed against the Nets.

• Premium Member

Being a Kentucky fan, I've like Prince, but i wouldn't call him a star. He's definitely one of the most talent defenisve Sfs playing. Last night, they didn't double Kobe. They put Prince on him.

I agree, you dont wanna try to copy Detroit. I bet they bring all their key players back next year and only advance a round or two in the playoffs. I dont think they would have beat Minnesota or San Antonio. They caught a weak benched due to injuries LA team by surprise. Prince and a swarming defense shut Kobe down and Shaq alone couldnt carry them.

• Premium Member

I love that the Championship has come home to the East. I love that Detroit at least TRIED to make the Lakers work. I love that it was a team effort that won the championship. I love that it has taught all the superstars a lesson: no free rides, you got to earn it. I love that defense was highlighted in this series...

BUT IT WON'T WORK FOR ATLANTA

Again, this isn't a city rich in basketball tradition. We have VERY little inspiring basketball history. The only teams that this city has ever rallied around were the 'Nique led teams (who has not been forgetten); but, anything less exciting than that will not cause a stir.

Not posting a winning season...

Not making the playoffs...

Not competing in the playoffs...

We had that with Smitty/Mookie/Hendu/Corbin/Laet/Deke/and Lenny. We had empty playoff arenas and OUT OF TOWN fans OWNING our arena BOOING the home team off the court WHILE THEY WERE WINNING. These chants by local "fans" for the opposition that comes in, it didn't start recently. This has been going on ever since the Hawks slid into mediocrity.

Mediocre does not have to mean unsuccessful. It can be used to describe a team, this team, that does very little to inspire a fan base. Putting a functional, fundamental, competitive, half-court, defensive-minded team on the floor will work in any NBA city (except maybe LA), but it will not work here.

Atlanta needs a STAR and a team that appeals to the mainstream. Anything less will not turn the franchise around.

I'm not going to get into the pierce argument again, but Peja had a hell of a better supporting cast then Pierce has ever had and couldn't bust a grape. Thats proof enough for me that he is not good enough.

Maybe if Sactown had Pierce they would of been playing Detroit and not sitting at home.

Quote:

I love that the Championship has come home to the East. I love that Detroit at least TRIED to make the Lakers work. I love that it was a team effort that won the championship. I love that it has taught all the superstars a lesson: no free rides, you got to earn it. I love that defense was highlighted in this series...

BUT IT WON'T WORK FOR ATLANTA

Again, this isn't a city rich in basketball tradition. We have VERY little inspiring basketball history. The only teams that this city has ever rallied around were the 'Nique led teams (who has not been forgetten); but, anything less exciting than that will not cause a stir.

Not posting a winning season...

Not making the playoffs...

Not competing in the playoffs...

We had that with Smitty/Mookie/Hendu/Corbin/Laet/Deke/and Lenny. We had empty playoff arenas and
OUT OF TOWN
fans
OWNING
our arena
BOOING
the home team off the court
WHILE THEY WERE WINNING
. These chants by local "fans" for the opposition that comes in, it didn't start recently. This has been going on ever since the Hawks slid into mediocrity.

Mediocre does not have to mean unsuccessful. It can be used to describe a team, this team, that does very little to inspire a fan base. Putting a functional, fundamental, competitive, half-court, defensive-minded team on the floor will work in any NBA city (except maybe LA), but it will not work here.

Atlanta needs a STAR and a team that appeals to the mainstream. Anything less will not turn the franchise around.

Hawks need someone much like Michael Vick did for the Falcons. Get the bandwagoners out so they can support the team again. I wish I didnt live so far away from Atlanta I'd go to the games even if ATL loses all the time now..

• Premium Member

They exploited LAL's weakness.

1. Lack of team play.

2. Laziness on the break.

3. Bench time.

It's not that LAL has a weak bench... We've seen Rush, Fisher, Medv, and Fox all step up... The problem is that Phil never really uses his bench. LB, said.. OK.. We are going to run run run... and use our reserves. The payoffs were that by the 3rd qtr, LAL was dragging, committing silly fouls and not thinking the game through smartly.

Add to that the swarming defense and you got something.

It's the Bill Parcels school of coaching... Control the tempo and you can win the game.

It also shows why they are vulnerable to a team like NJ. NJ always controls the tempo... So there's no need in trying to force them to do anything. You just got to outmuscle them. By the same token, Minn/SA, would have been a hard matchup for Detroit. I think they could have beaten SA...

• Premium Member

Diaw has the footwork and he is good defensively, but what makes Prince so good is that he's long. He got hold of Kobe and interrogated him the whole game. He made it hard for Kobe to make decent passes. Then, you can go back to each series and find where a Prince block on the break turned a game. Reggie Miller won't be the same...

I will go out on a limb and make a promise. Boris Diaw will this coming season be as good if not better than Prince was in his 2nd season, which was the season before last, I believe. Boris Diaw was as good as Prince was his rookie year this past season, imo.

Prince was hesitant to take his J as well in his 1st year, and you see why, he misses quite a bit. But you see the importance of taking jumpers even if you miss, because offensive rhythm is maintained, that is all Boris has to learn.

I agree, you dont wanna try to copy Detroit. I bet they bring all their key players back next year and only advance a round or two in the playoffs. I dont think they would have beat Minnesota or San Antonio. They caught a weak benched due to injuries LA team by surprise. Prince and a swarming defense shut Kobe down and Shaq alone couldnt carry them."

Sorry, Minny was not going to beat Detroit with Derek Martin

as a starting PG. Cassell likely wouldn't have been effective

in a series with Detroit considering his injuries. A Spurs/

Detroit series would have been horrible. Thank god it didn't

happen.

I agree and disagree! I am happy the exalted Lakers have been humbled. Dumars has a team of unique players who all play to their strengths, each knows their role and when they peform within their roles they are hard to beat. I think the key to success in the NBA is teamwork. Detroit is a team, they played as a team and lost as a team. I think you assemble the best available talent that will "fit" your team. He should be superior in peforming in the role you have employed him to perform. Make no mistake about it, Detorit has superior talent, and they are stars yet they know how to play team basketball. Talent is essential, correct attitude is necessary, but heart win championships when a coach takes individuals and mold them into one unit with one purpose- championship.... In a sense I agree with you role players do help you win championships, yet they must still have superior talent and work ethic to rise to the top level and wear a ring in June.

You can put together a team of semi-stars like Detroit, but they have to accept each other and not think they are stars. That revolves around the coach, which the Hawks don't have. First the coach, then the team identity will come from him. They need a coach ASAP.