• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Have we debated Phil Jackson

sturt

• Premium Member

... as a potential candidate for head coach?

He's obviously ready to turn a page, and might crave an opportunity to actually build a team for once in his career... to-date, he's been a hired-gun after Chicago and LA already pretty much had the pieces in place.

Certainly there are reasons he wouldn't be inclined to talk w/ BK, too, but if you presume he'd be interested... should we be interested? And if so, where does he rank among the candidates?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Phil Jackson would never take a coaching position for the hawks... he only takes teams that have a legit chance of winnin the NBA FINALS...

Maybe not... but I can think of all kinds of cases where a Pat-Riley-kinda-guy has looked at a franchise at the bottom but with some assets to build with (ie draft picks and young players), and decided to make the jump to a Miami or otherwise.

It's actually quite common.

Shanahan left GB for a similar opportunity w/ the Seahawks, and I know there are other examples.

They've been the subcontractor... they want a shot at the contractor or even architect role.

for $10 million/season with TOTAL control of the franchise. Phil is in position to hand pick which job he wants and I think he'll wait to see how things settle before he decides where he wants to go. I look for him to either resign in LA or take a year or two off to decide what he wants to do.

if Phil Jackson coached the Atlanta Hawks. Of course this will never happen because like an earlier poster said...Phil only takes teams that are already put in to place to win a championship. I really thinks that sucks but that is how Phil roles. I don't think he could build a team from scratch.

• Premium Member

I was just wondering if fans here thought we should be interested in ZenMan... and if so, where he rates among the candidates.

Quote:

I don't think he could build a team from scratch.

• Premium Member

IF he were interested, you'd almost have to hire him. He brings credentials, knowledge, patience, respect, success and an ENORMOUS BUZZ AROUND THE FRANCHISE. The entire sports world would look at us, chronicle our team, and say, "now we get to see if Phil does have REAL coaching ability."

But, the question is...would Phil come here?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here... I say that if Phil is looking to continue coaching, that this would be a challenge. This would be a situation where he could cement his legacy into the history of the game. If he were successful, there would be no questions surrounding his ability and he would go down as truly one of the coaching greats. If not, maybe Red would have more ammunition to fire at Jackson, but surely it takes nothing away from what he has accomplished.

Personally, I don't think he'd fail. People keep saying that Phil inherited all these talented teams...but at the same time, his predicessors in each situation couldn't get their teams over the hump. In LA, he actually took a LESS TALENTED Lakers team over the top.

I don't know if he would actually come here, but he'd have to look at Atlanta as an interesting scenario. I could see him coming in a couple of years from now with a young club that needs to learn how to win. I'm not so sure about him coaching a lottery club though.

• Premium Member

Before taking the Lakers Job, Phil turned down NJ who was willing to give him more money and more control. Plus they had a lot of talent.... (Marbury, Kittles, Van Horn

Phil wants the most dominant player in the game. His next stop is Cleveland.

Silas ain't going anywhere. Jackson could go to New York.

Quote:

Before taking the Lakers Job, Phil turned down NJ who was willing to give him more money and more control. Plus they had a lot of talent.... (Marbury, Kittles, Van Horn

Phil wants the most dominant player in the game. His next stop is Cleveland.