• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chad Ford suggests Harrington for Terry

johnnyde

By Chad Ford

ESPN Insider

T-Mac, Shaq and Steve Francis aren't the only big names that will be on the block this summer. NBA GMs believe there will be some heavy trade activity as teams try desperately to change their fortunes.

"Last year, we fired all of the coaches," one GM said candidly. "This year it's on us. If we don't make the right moves, we'll be the ones losing our job this year."

Who else is on the block right now? The names read like an all-star roster.

Trading Jason Kidd, right, may be the only way for the Nets to retain their young core.

Jason Kidd, PG, Nets: Rod Thorn denies they're shopping Kidd or anyone else, despite persistent rumors that new owner Bruce Ratner has asked him to slash payroll. "We'd like to have a team that's not a (luxury) tax payer," Thorn said in a statement Monday. "We'll work to get in that direction over the course of time. It's not something that's necessarily going to have to be done this year."

However, the Nets, who had one of the highest payrolls in the league last year ($61.3 million), know it will be impossible to keep that goal if they re-sign Kenyon Martin in free agency this summer and Richard Jefferson to an extension in the fall.

Kidd, Martin and Jefferson, combined with Alonzo Mourning's long-term deal, likely would put the Nets over the cap. Moving Kidd may be the only way to keep the rest of the young core intact. They won't give him away, but if they can find a veteran team for which Kidd would be willing to play -- and that would be willing to give up a young point guard -- they may have to pull the trigger.

Paul Pierce, SG, Celtics: Pierce's name popped up in a rumor with the Bulls just days before the draft. Danny Ainge denies he's shopping Pierce, but, at the same time acknowledged that given the team's situation (a whopping five players with one or fewer years of experience) he has to listen to offers. Expect them to come for Pierce in bunches. With Ricky Davis, Jiri Welsch and draft-pick Tony Allen in the backcourt, perhaps Ainge feels he can move Pierce if someone is willing to give up a big in return.

Vince Carter, SG, Raptors: New GM Rob Babcock already is denying reports out of Toronto that the team is looking to move Carter. In this case it appears Carter's camp is putting pressure on the team for the move. While rumors of a VC-for-Allen Iverson swap were bogus, the Raptors know Carter is one of the few assets they have that will bring value back in return.

Peja Stojakovic, SF, Kings: The team would prefer to move Chris Webber, but given his injury history and bad knees, that seems impossible. Bad blood was created in Sacramento at the end of the postseason when Webber singled out Stojakovic for a poor postseason performance. Reports out of L.A. indicate the Kings have offered Stojakovic in a package to the Lakers for Shaq. If he's really available, they'll get a flood of offers.

Ray Allen, SG, Sonics: He clashed repeatedly with coach Nate McMillan last year and has given Sonics brass signs that he might not re-sign when he becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer. Look for the Sonics to move him now, preferably for a big man, while they can still get some value in return.

Shawn Marion, SF, Suns: The Suns were willing to include him in a deal for Tracy McGrady and now will look for other places Marion might fit. It sounds like the team is targeting its backcourt this summer and would like to move Joe Johnson to the three. Getting Marion's big contract off the books gives them a lot more flexibility to go after other pieces. While most teams believe he's overpaid, there's no doubt it's hard to find a small forward capable of averaging 20 and 10 on a nightly basis.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim, PF, Blazers: There's a huge logjam in Portland right now, and Abdur-Rahim looks like the odd guy out. The Blazers and Nets seriously discussed an Abdur-Rahim-for-Kerry Kittles swap before the draft, and indications are they're still talking. The Sonics also have shown a lot of interest, and the Jazz could be in the mix here, as well.

Wally Szczerbiak, SF, Timberwolves: Wally was the odd man out of the Wolves' starting five once the team traded for Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell. The Wolves are open to moving him once his base-year status expires Wednesday. The Cavs and Bulls have shown a lot of interest in Wally in the past.

Jason Richardson, SG, Warriors: It became clear toward the end of last season that Mickael Pietrus, not Richardson, was the real two guard of the future for the Warriors. Richardson is coming off a great year in Golden State and should be able to fetch some value in return. This is another place the Bulls might want to look if they're still willing to trade Tyson Chandler.

Jason Terry, G, Hawks: The team is rebuilding, and Terry wants out. The Hawks will have a number of suitors and urgently need to address some huge holes in their frontcourt. They can't move Terry without his permission until Sept. 25, but expect him to agree to almost anything at this point.

The Pacers want backcourt help in exchange for Al Harrington.

Al Harrington, F, Pacers: Harrington asked for a trade at the end of the season. He's sick of coming off the bench and wants to take a bigger role on a lesser team. Larry Bird is willing to move him but has been careful to keep his options open. He wants to add some firepower in the backcourt or another big man to patrol the middle, and he needs Harrington as bait. If offers for T-Mac and Shaq fall through, a Harrington-for-Terry swap makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Caron Butler, SF, Heat: The Heat deny they're trying to trade Butler, but the word from several GMs is Miami is using him as bait, hoping a team will agree to also take Eddie Jones for either a serviceable five or a veteran point guard. The Heat won't just give Butler away, but the truth is they're really set at both the two and the three with Dwyane Wade and Lamar Odom. Sooner or later, they've got to address their other areas.

Matt Harpring, SF, Jazz: The Jazz know they aren't going to be totally successful obtaining everything they need in free agency and will have to use trade bait to get the rest. Harpring was great for them two years ago and was solid again last season before getting injured. But the team is loaded with swingmen and desperately needs help up front. If Harpring can buy them a player like that, he could be gone.

Antoine Walker, PF, Mavericks: Remember two years ago when everyone began believing Walker actually was an asset? My, how times have changed. The only thing propping up his trade value these days is that he's in the last year of his contract. The Mavs want to move him in return for a big man. Will anyone bite?

Jerry Stackhouse, SG, Mavericks: Speaking of overpaid Mavericks, the team had little intention of keeping Stack when it traded for him last week. The Mavs are looking for a veteran four in return. But, is anyone still interested in him?

Jamal Mashburn, SF, Hornets: Two years removed from the best season in his career and an all-star appearance, the Hornets are giving away Mashburn. Injuries, however, are expected to cool the market for him.

Tyson Chandler, PF/C, Bulls: It sounds like Bulls GM John Paxson is going to break up the Baby Bulls, and our money is on Chandler to get the boot. Eddy Curry, because he plays center and can score with his back to the basket, is too rare a commodity. While Chandler's value may not be as high as it once was, he still has enough juice to bring a seasoned four in return. Wouldn't a Chandler-for-Stromile Swift deal work for both the Grizzlies and the Bulls? We're pretty sure Swift would agree to the sign-and-trade.

Speaking of T-Mac and the Franchise ...

Steve Francis may have accepted his fate -- a trade to the Orlando Magic. However, it appears Magic GM John Weisbrod still isn't ready to pull the trigger on a trade to send Tracy McGrady to the Rockets that has been rumored for the last 10 days.

Monday, Francis flew to Orlando for a Tuesday meeting with Weisbrod, and Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, said his client had warmed considerably to the idea of playing in Orlando.

"We're in the process of making arrangements for Steve to fly tomorrow," Fried told the Houston Chronicle. "I know he's meeting with John. If John decides to bring in the ownership group, that's John's decision.

"It was a joint understanding between John and us that the next prudent step is for Steve and John to get together. We talked after the draft and again (Monday) morning. It just seems it would be prudent for a team thinking of making a player the focal point of a team, and for a player in a trade as the focal point, to spend time together to talk about philosophies and the general approach to things."

However, Weisbrod refused to acknowledge that he had invited Francis to Orlando or that the deal with the Rockets, which most folks around the league -- including the Rockets -- believe to be imminent, is actually in the works.

"I do not know at this point whether we will have him in town or not," Weisbrod said. "If we do, it will be something that he's interested in doing. I didn't ask him to come to town, and that's probably why he's a little further down that road and telling people that. But if he wants to come to town, we're certainly happy to spend the time."

The Magic and Rockets have until Wednesday to get a deal done. If they can't work something out by then, they won't be able to pull the trigger on a deal until July 15 -- after the NBA's two-week player movement moratorium. By then, the players involved likely will have to change. Right now the deal is McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines for Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato. However, Lue is on the verge of opting out of his contract, which means he no longer could be included in the trade.

"Obviously, if you are going to do any trade, you want to do it when the timing is right and the pieces are perfect," Weisbrod said. "But the resolution of the Tracy situation, whether that means he gets traded or we decide to cut bait and put him in the lineup next year, that being resolved in August doesn't adversely affect our ability to do the rest of the things that we have to do."

Weisbrod claims there are four teams still in the hunt. Three of them we know -- the Rockets, Pacers and Suns. The fourth is still a mystery, though teams like the Heat, Bulls and Clippers have been mentioned as possibilities.

The news that Weisbrod is still waffling has rankled the Rockets, who believed they had a done deal with the Magic more than a week ago. If the Magic hold out until after the deadline, the Rockets will be put in a funny position.

Now that they've essentially let Francis know they want to trade him, bringing him back will be awkward. The team is going to have to start looking for other teams interested in the Franchise. No matter what they do, chances are they won't get as good a deal. Either way, it's going to be a tough sell.

Meanwhile, a word of warning to the other three teams negotiating with the Magic. Don't call your players and tell them they're being traded to the Magic until after the league office truly finalizes the deal.

Sorry but Harrington isn't no 4. I still like the game plan of going after K-mart and/or Swift, those 2 are real 4's. Harrington is a ballhogger and he doesn't have an all around game. I like for us to stay with Diaw starting there and Josh Smith relieving him.

• Premium Member

If The trade goes through....

Tmac for Francis/Cato/Mobley..

A perfect three way would be:

JT to Indy.

Pollard/Harrington to Orlando.

Nelson/Gooden to us.

I would be down right happy with that trade. So would JT.. So would Orlando.

You are really sold on Nelson huh Diesel. I'm not, and neither are alot of teams, thats why he slipped. Nelson to me reminds me of Khalid El-Amin, Omar Cook and Mateen Cleaves......all undersize true PG's in college that never panned out in the NBA.

• Premium Member

I like Gooden (always have) too. I think Gooden has been in the wrong places. He fits what we would need. Even as a backup, I would love to get both Nelson and Gooden and more importantly, get out of JT's contract. But when you look at Gooden play... He has very good defense. He runs, he scores. He would fit in with our youth movement Easily.

I disagree none of those players were anywhere near as good as Nelson. Nelson has much more offensive game than all of them and probably better PG skills. If you look at the guys you listed they were all offensivley challenged. Brevin Knight type Pg's.

If I had to compare Nelson to anyone in the league currenly it would be Damon Stoudimire (without being a headcase). If I remember correctly Stoudmire won rookie of they year and was a very good play before he got traded to Portland. However, Nelson is a better defesive player than Stoudmire and is much stronger.

• Moderators

Quote:

I disagree none of those players were anywhere near as good as Nelson.

Nelson was picked with the 20th pick of the draft.

Cleaves was picked with the 14th pick of the draft.

I agree they have different games but they must have been pretty close in terms of how teams regarded them.

i agree w/ ATLien

the difference b/t Nelson and the other guys is that NELSON won national awards LEFT AND RIGHT...

c'mon, the dude beat OKAFOR in several awards...

i think the DAMON STOUDAMIRE comparisons are right... w/o the attitude problems. Nelson is definitely more stronger and plays more defense.

comparing him w/ Cleaves cuz Cleaves was picked 14th or so... doesnt mean a thing.

does that mean that EVERYONE in the second round will play like CARLOS BOOZER and MICHAEL REDD?

does that mean LEBRON JAMES will have a career similar to Kwame Brown?

does that mean all 3rd picks will be similar in talent as DARIUS MILES?

it just doesnt make sense for a guy who wins John R. Wooden Award and the Naismith Award (beating OKAFOR) to become a FLOP in the NBA...

worst case, i see him as one of the best backup PGs in the league... or as a solid roleplaying starting PG.

As far as El Amin and Cleeves neither were great prospects, and the only thing that made them appear great was being on great teams. El Amin = Uconn and Cleeve = Michigan State,

Nelson was the main focal point on a small team, and he took them really deep into the NCAA tourney. Nelson didn't have near the supporting cast Amin or Cleeves had in college. Amin and Cleeves weren't even the best players on their respective teams.

Even if you don't want to respect his awards or stats respect the fact that he took St Johns (hardly a powerhouse) on his back, and beat some of the best programs in collge basketball.

...since we've been talking about this for months, Chad Ford must be reading the board again. (Hi Chad!)

I like Harrington, but I don't see him as a great fit here. He's not a great athlete, has little in the way of a back-to-basket game, and is a tweener in every sense of the word. With our situation, he'd have to play the 4, which I'm just not certain on.

I'd definately have to consider swapping for Harrington, especially if Indy would throw in Tinsley. I honestly don't know if I'd pull the trigger on it or not...

• Premium Member

Harrington/Tinsley for JT/Diaw?

If JT goes, there is less need for Diaw...

The Hawks get two good young players in exchange for two good young players...

Tinsley/Childress/Harrington

vs.

JT/Childress/Diaw

Which of these lineups do you think would be more productive over the next two years?

• Premium Member

It would have to be Pollard to match JT's Salary... Also, We don't need Harrington because we are loaded with a lot of Sfs...

I suggested that we move Harrington to Orl.. I won't hurt AnDONE's puny feelings by mentioning the unnamed players...

The major problem with Tinsley and Harrington is that neither can shoot. That's why Indy is still looking for a PG, that's why I'm hesitant on this trade.

We have to find some solid shooters in FA. I think Peeler opted out in Sacramento, we should look him up.

Quote:

It would have to be Pollard to match JT's Salary... Also, We don't need Harrington because we are loaded with a lot of Sfs...

I suggested that we move Harrington to Orl.. I won't hurt AnDONE's puny feelings by mentioning the unnamed players...

Hurt my feelings? LOL You're funny... AND redundant as hell.

• Premium Member

Since I'm redundant and you answer all of my post with the same criticism... What does that make you?

it's like that episode of Star Trek when the aliens made a deal with Piccard that they would not destroy the enterprise but instead, they would give everyone short term memory loss and set all the clocks and computers back 24 hous. But as they woke up 24 hours later... There were too many clues so Piccard had to go back and make the same deal or be destroyed. The second time they cleared up the problem...

However, that leaves the question. When the enterprise makes it back to Earth, wouldn't they still be 2 days behind everybody else??

Or a better question is this...

Was the Spassky Fisher match of 1972 fixed? Did the Russians tell Spassky to Lose so that they could build up hatred for America amoung their countrymen and declare war?

Or a better question is this....

Where are the weapons of Mass Destruction?

Is Mike Moore in it for the money or the fame or because he's an average american who wants to see all wrongs righted?

or

When d*ck Cheney used the F Bomb... Why wasn't Christians offended? Because the religous right support Bush Cheney, does that make them Hypocrites when they tell their children not to curse?

Or

Now that Tmac is a Rocket and Francis is a Magic... Will Tmac feel slighted when Orlando makes the playoffs and Houston does not? If Cato and Mobley are traded for ending Contracts and Grant Hill gets a medical retirement, will Tmac opt out anyway and go back to a team with a lot of Salary space like .... Orlando? Wouldn't that just suck?

Harrington is clearly not a 4 and does not play big at all. He prefers to slash, shoot jumpers and get garbage baskets. There is no prior history to suggest that Harrington will even be a consistant scorer in this league and we clearly will need JT's scoring bad with the likely roster we will have. Chad Ford has no idea of our team's need for size.