• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Walker a Hawk?

Vafan

Makes a lot of sense to me. Walker has more trade value than JT/Hendu. JT is not a point guard, and I think in a year you will see D. Harris running point, and not JT. Walker has playoff experience, which is something teams want at the deadline, not some tweener guard who can't run a team to save his life. Again this is a long term rebuilding project, and I don't see JT as part of the future. This team is going to be bad with JT/Hendu or with Walker, but I think Walker helps this team (with his trade value) more than the other two.

TROUBLEMAN

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am shocked about this news. Walker does not appear to be a BK type player. He does not have the length BK is soo fond of at the forward positions and he is not a good defender. I wonder how well Walker will get along with Woodson? I think JT will blow up in Dallas as he excels in the run and gun type O that Nelson employs there. I agree with you that if the deal goes through then BK has other deals pending b/c otherwise we would have the worst backcourt in the NBA and maybe one of the worst ever!!

• Premium Member

Keeping him and trading him are dependant upon how valuable a commodity he is. I mean, Dallas didn't exactly mortgage the farm to get him and didn't get a whole lot in return for him. Can we really expect to "turn a profit" on Walker? I don't see how he could fetch much more than what we got for 'Sheed - which we lucked upon having a draft deep with questions and having a talent like Smith fall.

Clearing out the old regime?

That holds absolutely no value to me. A player is a player regardless of who drafted them. Dumping guys for nothing just to have a clean slate is the quickest way to reduce your bargaining power. Besides, these guys are gone in a year's time anyway.

...but wait shocked.gif it's the flexibility to have flexibility, that enables our flexible roster to be even more flexible. *lol* Not a bad deal, not a good one IMO. Just more of Billy's baby steps. And you don't know why he walks that way until he gets there...eventually.

The more I think about it, this trade just doesnt make any sense to me. Now the only thing I am thinking is this.

The Nets probably want something we have, and doesnt want to deal with Dallas, because what Dallas is offering is not good enough for them. Maybe Knight has a trade pending with the Nets involving J. Kidd. So then we give JT/Hendu for Walker and something else......then we turn around and trade Walker and something for J.Kidd.

Why would kidd leave Jersey and come to Atlanta. Anyways I love Jt, but the fact is we just have not won with him, I was looking forward to a diaw, jt backcourt, but guess what in the east you need size to win. Now we have size up front which we didnt have and also the option to sign a veteran point guard. SG is an easy position to learn for rookies so Childress/Smith alternating at the 2 should be alright. I personally am not a huge Dampier fan, but if we bring him into the fold we have a chance to compete for a playoff spot this year because we have the size up front to do it. If Walker blows up this season, well we have his bird rights and can pay him more than anyone will be able to. If we are still losing by trade deadline, then we can dump him for draft picks, but I highly doubt we can lose with our new lineup including Dampier, Walker, and Sura (looking more likely to come back). Remember in the east anything goes. We werent going to win jack with jt and hendu on the squad (well maybe if we had Dmapier we would). I still love jt though. the kid can play, but lacks through pg instincts. He can score like BD and AI, but dosent have the pg instincts BD has or the explosive scoring ability Ai has. Good luck JT in Big D. He will be blowing up there, something he prob couldnt achieve in ATL.

shot from the field his last full year in Boston as a starter at the 4 spot (an amazing stat for a power forward). Prior to leaving Boston Walker lead the NBA in missed shots for three years in a row. So what will Walker do in a contract year on a team where he is the only "star"??? Shoot even more!!! Woodson better keep a tight leash on Walker or this team will set an all time low in FG percentage. I am afraid Walker will damage whatever team chemistry we try to develop and will set a bad example for the rookies with his shoot first attitude.

He's averaged around 18 shots per game in his career. This is far less than true shoot first guys like Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady, and Kobe Bryant, among others.

Walker is actually a pretty unselfish player. He's not a black hole like Glenn Robinson was. Walker was asked to set the point a lot in Boston.

With that said, I don't see this as a long term move. This move likely has as much to do with moving Terry as it does with getting Walker. Atlanta will get a windfall at some point from Walker. Some team will be willing to give up some good value for him by the trade deadline, and if not, then the Hawks get a lot of cap flexibility in the offseason.

Kidd is not coming to Atlanta. He would rather stay in NJ than come to Atlanta. They are rebuilding too.

If we sign Dampier and sign a good PG, this is a good move because now we would have a semi-veteran young starting team with very young raw talent to back them up and learn in the process.

I had to marinate on this move for a couple of hours and it is starting to look a little better than originally thought.

Walker and Harrington will be a nice combo. Childress will probably be the SG. Now we need to sign Dampier and a guard and we are very competitive in the East!!

You cannot lead the league in missed shots three years in a row from the 4 spot and be a very heady player. Walker may have good passing skills but that is far differant from knowing when not to shoot. I recall him shooting Boston out of several games with his poor shot selection. This deals scares me based on the potential influence he might have on the rookies. Woodson though seems to demand a tight ship which may help the situation until Walker is gone.

we will be competitive with walker being in a contract year and harrington wanting to prove he can be the man...even if we weren't doesn't matter, we woulda suckd anyway.

i'm not excited about this trade but i can see this working out for us. with walker going to play alot better with playing time and contract year, his trade value is higher..

bk is basically buying a car for cheap, making it look good, and selling it for more.

"bk is basically buying a car for cheap, making it look good, and selling it for more."

And taking out the trash on the way to the dealership.

Quote:

we will be competitive with walker being in a contract year and harrington wanting to prove he can be the man...even if we weren't doesn't matter, we woulda suckd anyway.

I think you hit it on the money, we will be better with those two on our front line, at least until the trade deadline.

Quote:

bk is basically buying a car for cheap, making it look good, and selling it for more.

Again I agree.

We lose in this deal if:

A: We cannot move Walker for a better pick or pick plus a player.

B: If we cannot trade him, then I think we could still win in this deal, if we can resign him at a reasonable price.

Bottom line, if Walker "walks" and we get nothing in return we lose.

JT, a 1st round pick, and Hendu's contract (not to mention he may play pretty damn well this year) has to get you more than one player for a year and a backup point guard.

Well Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Theo Ratliff and Dan Dickau get you Rasheed Wallace for a game, which in turn gets you Bob Sura and Rebraca for a couple games each plus the 17th pick in the draft and cap space.

I don't really see this trade as a win or a loss, rather, it is simply going in a different direction. What this new path yields we don't know, but worst case scenario the Hawk have truck loads of cap space. Best case scenario they have either a near all-star caliber forward for this year and potentially beyond or a great trade deadline asset.

Obviously the Hawks roster still has holes, but it had holes before the trade. Signing a solid point guard and getting a center will go along way. If the hawks land Dampier then they could have the best frontcourt in the East.

Quote:

Diaw / J. Harrington?

J-Chill / Hansen

A. Harrington / J-Smooth

Walker / CC

Dampier? / Collier"

Who are you trying to kid? That team is a pile of crap. Not

scoring from the guards and a SF playing PG. Very stupid.

DID YOU EVEN READ MY POST?! Oh wait, I forgot. You just hear what you want to hear and tangle all the rest of the details. F*ck man, read the details before you retaliate.

"

well reportedly we get a PG back in delk"

Hey if people here had problems with JT as a point guard forget about it with Delk. He is not 1/2 the PG as JT. He's a nice guy coming off the bench but he is a journeyman and injury prone.