• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Barry Bonds is a steroid using LOSER?

cyman3

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1895380

sheffield talks about his relationship w/ Bonds.

In your opinion,

1)do u think BONDS is the a$$ sheffield claims... or do u believe theres 2 sides to every story?

2)if AMERICA finds out, 100% that Bonds used steroids. its proven. Bonds confessed. will u not think so HIGHLY of his achievements? or is a HR still a HR?

3)ur honest opinion, Bonds used STEROIDS. true or false?

Oh I have little doubt that Bonds is an A$$. He may be the greatest hitter of this era and maybe all time, but he will NEVER be considered by the majority as the greatest player of all time simply because he doesnt have the personality that the fans can relate to. Hell from what I remember reading in the past most of his teammates dont even like him.

Not sure I believe the whole story with Sheff thinking he was taking a cortisone cream, but I do have my doubts that he would knowingly take steriods and do so out in the open.

• Admin

1. yes. that's been the story about the guy his entire career. Guys don't go their entire careers being labled a certain way without a large part of it being true.

2. First off, he will NEVER admit to it and unless someone manages to sneak the proof out that he used them, baseball will NEVER let it out. But if that proof ever surfaced, I think his home run record should be wiped out. A home run is not a home run when it's a pop fly to right field that turns into a homer because the guy can hit the ball that damned hard. That's a hack and it has no place being recognized as greatness.

3. yes. Look at the guys body, look at his head. The human head does not bulk up like that from simple weight training. Even dedicated two a day lifting. Bonds doesn't even look like the same guy any more. Go find yourself some before and after shots of some of these really HUGE body builders. You'll see the same pattern.

The only mystery to me is how he's managed to keep from breaking down all this time. Usually when you stop doing them, you get fat and your body falls apart. Which would lead you to believe that if he did them, he's still doing them. Otherwise his body would have cracked by now.

But who knows, who knows what he could be doing. He could be doing something that they don't even know about. Somethign that someone hooked him up with that isn't known by many people and isn't tested for.

Well one thing you can't take away from bonds is he is the best hitter of the era and perhaps ever. Rather he takes steroids or not that doesnt make him put the meat of the bat on the ball every time he hits it.

Nobody is crieing about Mark McGuire and his andro taking ars. He would be lucky to hit .280 in a season.

I can't figure out for the life of me why so many people want this guy to fail. Honestly, his production hasnt fallen off, and he would be a fool to still be taken roids now. To me that means he does it without roids. If they didnt walk him so much he would probably had 70+ homers this year. Never been a more feared hitter in the history of the game.

No I'm not a bonds super fan or something. I just hate when people jump on a guy because the media leads them around like sheep. Bonds gets a bad rep because he wouldn't kiss the media's butt, so they showed him by ruining his rep.

ever since bonds stuck up for the other giants jeff kent went off in the dugout. he may have had trouble in pittsburgh but in san fran hes been a model citizen. barry not getting along with the media let pendleton win the mvp unless bonds would have another mvp. bonds homerun record is legit when you consider babe ruth never had to face blacks ballplayers. you had more great black ballplayers back then because football and basketball werent big like they are now.

I dont care if you use 'roids or not it still wont make you put the ball in play as much as he does. Yhe thing that is striking to me is that his numbers have increased over the years, not just home runs. When a player who is pitched around and pitched caefully to every atbat still hit like .370 it means that the guy is unreal. Also look at how few strike outs he has this year 41 compared to 232 walks!

• Admin

nobody ever said roids made bonds a good hitter..

And yah, there are just as many people saying the exact same things about Mark Mcguire. The difference is that he's not still playing. His body broke down and he quit. If there were any way to prove he did them, he should suffer the same fate as bonds, if proven.

Everything about this guys career today is predidcated by the home runs. If it weren't for the homeruns, he wouldn't have the walks. If he were a simple .360 hitter. he wouldn't have 100 walks, much less 200+. Because the guy can turn routine pop flys into homers, he gets walked.

I guess you don't think that there are labs out there making stuff that is unknown and untestable? If you believe that, I've got tickets to the moon for sale, CHEAP. We all now know that Bonds had the connections to get these things.

Bonds reputation has come from more than just the media. Other players, teammates, etc. You don't get such a widely regarded bad rep by simply "refusing to kiss the medias butt".

Well if he is using it its likley that many more are using it to, but they don't get the production he has. I havent seen Bonds hitting pop ups, everytime I see his homeruns they are hit hard line drives, so don't give me it would be a routine pop fly.

I can't remeber, but I think canseco said 85% of the players in the majors use steroids. It's MLB's fault for not regulating and testing these guys.

doesn't get that same benefit from you? Personally, I think Bonds is an A-hole but I still think he is the best baseball player I've ever seen. Still, just because I think he is an A-hole that doesn't mean he should be held to a different standard than Mcquire when it comes to his accomplishments. Either they both should require proof or they both should get the benefit of the doubt absent proof.

You talk about Bonds' size? Look at Mcguire! The guy looked like the Terminator running around the bases after a homerun! You also indicated that you didn't understand why Bonds' body had not broken down if he had used steroids and then stopped. Well Mcguire's body DID break down and he retired because of it. Honestly, I would not be shocked to find out that both Bonds and Mcguire used steroids at some point during their careers.

• Admin

"If there were any way to prove he did them, he should suffer the same fate as bonds, if proven."

I thought that what I said there made it clear that I feel that neither of them should suffer anything unless it's proven. I don't feel Mcquire deserves any more "benefit of the doubt" than Bonds does.

While I personally believe they are both juicers. Unless it's proven neither of them deserve to have their records tarnished, officially.

and I agree about mcquire too. Both he and bonds, along with Sosa, have shown the exact same "symptoms". They were all skinny guys for the majority of their careers. Until one day they show up as these bulked up, mishapen mutants who take hits that, for the history of baseball, have been routine pop-flys and turn them into 500ft homers.

• Admin

I think it was Ken Caminniti(sp?) that said that. Could be wrong though.

I've seen Bonds hit quite a few shots that are these towering shots that are hit so damned high in the are that htey drift out of the park. Granted the guy connects on a LOT of them. But that's a testiment to his great hitting ability. He is a flat out GREAT hitter. great hitting + unnatural power = lots of homers as well as lots of homers that otherwise wouldn't be.

And you're right. It's all baseballs fault for not having the guts to do anything about it. they know it's a problem and have probably known for years that it was becoming a problem. Instead of dealing with it, they ignored it until it got into the media. And even after that happened, they still ignored it.

Well as for guys being very skinny and then getting bigger, I see that in every sport. How about Karl Malone when he first came in the NBA? Is he a juicer? I just don't see size being a great indicator for steroids. Roy Jones JR gained almost 40 pounds so he could fight a heavyweight bout is he juicing?

I just don't see where you draw the line. Some people have builds that allow them to get bigger.

I think a better indicator of steroids is if their production drops off. Right now it looks like Bonds is the only one of the big 3 who's production has stayed the same. Sosa is having a bad year. McGuire's body broke down and he retired. So if Bonds is juicing, then how is he keeping his body up and his production at such an old age?

• Admin

it took Karl Malone a decade to get built up like he is. There is nothing about his build or the time frame in which he got it that would make anyone think it wasn't natural progression.

Roy Jones gained weight to fight, as many people do. And he promptly got his ass LIT UP because he put on weight that he didn't know how to use and hadn't gained the endurance to carry it. But he didn't look unnatural. He also didn't put on 40lbs of muscle. A lot of it was fat. He thought his ability could make up for the dead weight.

Guys like Bonds, Mcquire and Caminitti go from being skinny guys, or at best average builds to being barrell chested, mishapen mutants. It's relatively easy for anyone to get ripped. It's an entirely different thing to change your physical composure in two years time. Which is about what every one of those guys did.

I'm no fool. I lift regularly. I have a lot of friends who lift fanatically. It takes YEARS of steady lifting to get big like that. Well, it either takes years or it takes "help".

Look, we will probably never know the truth about any of those guys. Unless we do, I will give them all (except KC, he admitted it) the benefit of the doubt. But knowing what I know about lifting and gaining muscle mass, they had to have help beyond protein shakes and 3 a day workouts.

Heck it took Bonds years to build up like he has. He was a bigger guy even when he came up. If anyone was a roids user it was Sosa. He went from a 125 lb SS to a huge OF in like a year. Also now he is sliding. If you look at everyone who was suspected they have all had a major dropoff in proformance except Bonds, which leads me to the conclusion that he isn't using them.

I just had to comment about the Roy Jones comment. Roy Jones gained about 20lbs for his fight with Ruiz, not 40. It was also mostly muscle, and not fat as somebody mentioned. Roy Jones was ripped when he fought Ruiz, not fat like Michael Moorer or Michael Spinks. Jones got his ass knocked out the past two fights because he is past his prime and has lost most of his quickness. Jones is unable to evade punches like he did when he was younger.

As far as Bonds is concerned, he didn't gain weight overnight. The guys said he really started working out after suffering so many injuries during the early part of his career. Also people seem to forget that Bonds had a shot at breaking Ruth's record in 94, but he only played in 112 games. By the way he hit 37 homers that year. Outside of the 70+ homer year, Bonds hr numbers are similar to Aaron's.

One more thing, Sammy Sosa came into the league as an outfielder, not a shortstop. Sosa also did not pick up weight overnight. Mark Mcwire was a beast from the beginning. Remember McGwire hit 49 hrs in his rookie season, and once had 39 homers in 104 games.