From insider on another possible trade

codyatl

There's still plenty to sort through in the aftermath of the Bucks-Hawks trade that sent Glenn Robinson to Atlanta for Toni Kukoc.

The Hawks got another prolific scorer in Robinson, but didn't address their backcourt problems. The team cannot afford to play Jason Terry and rookie Dan Dickau together. The Hawks maintain they're not shopping Terry, which means that either they'll start Terry at point guard (where he's struggled) and use DerMarr Johnson and Dion Glover at the two guard slot, or, Dickau and Terry will be playing together. Don't count out some sort of package deal that sends Terry and center Nazr Mohammed somewhere in return for a top-flight point guard.

But there are bigger issues swirling around the Bucks. The Bucks were shopping just about everyone this summer and may not be done. Sam Cassell is also in George Karl's doghouse. League sources told Insider this weekend that the Bucks will continue to shop Cassell and would move him for the right offer. Karl still pines for Gary Payton and given the latest developments with Payton and the Sonics, a trade isn't out of the question. Several other teams, including the Pacers, Heat, Celtics, Cavs, T-Wolves, Nuggets, Knicks and Warriors, are looking for a veteran point guard and Cassell (who makes just $4.5 million this year) comes at the right price. He recently inked an extension, so whoever gets him, can have him locked up for a while.

Furthermore, the Chicago Tribune reported this weekend that the Bulls had been making an all-out push for Kukoc, offering Eddie Robinson in return. The team wanted to add the former Bulls star as a mentor. According to the Tribune, the Bucks-Hawks deal is a blow to the Bulls, who realized after summer-league play that Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler are not ready to be regular contributors. They were hoping to take the pressure off them with veterans such as Kukoc and possibly Matt Harpring.

Kukoc won't be more than a backup in Milwaukee and the ongoing problems with Cassell don't bode well for his future, so don't be surprised to see Milwaukee and Chicago find a third team interested in Cassell and Robinson, who can make things happen.

We have seen his name all over this board, Gary Payton. Would we send nazr and jt to seattle for him and would the sonics take that offer. They seem to be in rebuilding mode and this deal would give them 2 solid young guys. I sure hate to lose JT but if we could get payton I think we would ahve to do it.

Payton/DD/E-Mail

Dion/DJ

BD/CC

SAR/Hendu/Haslem?

Theo/Willis?

That is a pretty inpressive lineup.

After they said JT struggled at PG, I wanted to stop reading right there. ESPN still has no clue...

But, if Seattle did offer GP for JT and Nazr, I'd do it in a second. I love JT, but he's not GP.

Oh yeah, we'd have to get GP to sign some kind of extension before the trade, like Dice did before the NY deal went through.

As much as I love Payton.....I love JT. People compare Dickau to Stockton, Price and even Nash. I hate comparing but I say JT like to compare his game to Payton's and that ia ctually his mentor and idol. And as much as I would love to see Payton in Atlanta wi ouldnt do it for JT, JT is on the rise and Payton is more on the decline. Dont get me wrong the glove can still play with the best of them, but he is getting old folks. ON the other hadn JT is just entering his prime and is only a young 25 year old with 3 years of NBA experience and slowly becoming an allstar. I wouldnt make that trade. Though I would trade Nazr for B. Barry, the trade Diesel pointed out and sign Willis as a BU center.

JT is 10 years younger.

GP is in great shape but his game is not based on tremendous athletic ability. Assuming he stays healthy, I think he will be a very effective player for at least 3 or 4 more years.

On the other hand, JT is still 3 or 4 years from his prime. We haven't seen the best of JT and in fact, I think JT is every bit as good now as GP was at the same age. In other words, would you give up 13 good years of JT for 3 good years of GP? Although GP is the better player at this point and we would probably be a better team RIGHT NOW, I wouldn't make that trade.

Traceman I agree with you. No way do we ship JT for GP. Never trade proven developing youth for a player who is one to two seasons away to becoming ineffective. JT may very well be the next GP or better. We have a decade to find out.

Keep him........

after watching him get flat out abused by Parker in the playoffs that one game that led Garys dad to talking trash about him I knew he was passed his prime.

Also, there is something to be said for the humblness (is that a word? lol) that he brings to our team. He knows he can dominate almost anyone one on one and can score at will, but he is willing to defer to his teammates unless he has to score. I really love that about him. While GP has gotten better the last 2 years at allowing his teammates to make plays, he is still far too arrogant for my blood and I wouldnt think for a minute of trading JT for GP. Call me a homer but I think JT is worth more than GP right now even though we probably couldnt pull off a straight up deal.

You guys are forgetting tat Payton has never missed a game because of injury.NEVER! He might be 24, but he is in shape and plays like a 28 year old. His body-condition is absolutely awesome. That trade would put the Hawks into the finals, I guarantee it. Just imagine this:

PG)Gary Payton

SG)Demarr Johnson

SF)"Big Dog" Robinson

PF)"Reef"

C) Theo Ratliff

Now chemistry problems could be a concern, but Payton has shown that he will give up the scoring in order to win. He did it last year, and averaged a career high 9.2 dimes per/game. Imagine him and D.J. absolutely locking up opponents. Not only that, but he flat out handles the ball better than Jason Terry. Jason Terry is great, but Gary Payton is great. Now down the road(3 years) this could be a problem, but with Dickau(23 years old) learning from Gary Payton-getting lessons on defense, and how to run a team. WOW. That would be a good trade for both teams too.

Stupid trade for temporary benefits.Payton is old,this body

condition stuff is crap,there is Karl/Stockton but i more closer

to believing 9/10 times the human body breaks down with

age,NO deal you don't trade young for old.

1)Parker showed in the playoffs that Paytons defense is

slowing down.GP didn't even come close to defending him.

2)It's just a matter of time.This is how people get sucked

into long contracts with old players.We have a young team

and locking up a 34 year old with attitude problems.

3)Yeah not too long after the career high can come the

downfill.When players are 34 years old and start hitting

career highs they say to head in the wrong direction not

too long afterwards.Because they reach their peak then it

is gone.Hakeem was the best center in the game and two

years later he was washed up.

1)Tony Parker is the fastest player in the league. Plus he is 19. I would absolutely love to see Jason Terry guard Tony Parker.

2)Payton is past those attitude problems....And to inform you on your mis-information, Payton's contract ends after next year. Look it up.

3)All players vary with stats...What if GP averages 9.5 assists nexy year...You just don't know. Hakeem also had like 4 surgeries to his knees and ankles. again, I stress GP has never been hurt and has never missed a game due to injury.

I must go to the beach now, to talk to some "beaches" too. Don't you love beaches.

2)Payton is past those attitude problems....And to inform you

on your mis-information, Payton's contract ends after next year.

Look it up. "

1)Yeah and what do you think he wants Mr.All-info?A Long term

and probably a max contract.

2)He said he would rather retire than play in the east.Maybe George

Karl is a exception

3)No smart person would do this trade with Terry 24 and Payton 34.It's

a simple as that.Payton wants a long term max contract and we can't

and wouldn't be able to give him that.Get over it.

"I stress GP has never been hurt and has never missed a game due to injury. "

Then that makes it all the more likely it could happen soon.There is a

first time with everything.

NO DEAL.Make Gary Payton 28 again and you have a deal and a max

contract and everything...NOT NOW.