• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What the Marvin Williams pick means...

CBAreject

I think Deron Williams was a sure thing. I'm not saying we should've picked him, but I think his PG abilities would've translated very well. He's going to be really good for Utah.

Marvin has more upside, as everyone knows. We may have gotten the superstar in this draft. If he doesn't become a superstar, though...or an all-star at least, we lost in this draft. I think he'll do it, but I'm just saying we should realize what we were gambling with.

If M-Will doesn't become a star, this franchise is going to be in a rut for some time. That's a lot of pressure on our boy. Hope he pulls through.

What I think it means is that BK and Woody and the rest of the HFO feel that Marvin will be a star in this league and Al won't. I think he is the best player in this draft, how can you pass on that.

I also feel that Al might be involved in a package deal with Diaw for a very good PG in this league and filler.

You guys bring up some names of PG's that might be available.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin has more upside, as everyone knows. We may have gotten the superstar in this draft. If he doesn't become a superstar, though...or an all-star at least, we lost in this draft. I think he'll do it, but I'm just saying we should realize what we were gambling with.

I don't think I could have said it any better than that. That is exactly how I feel word for word.

My gut tells me that as long as we keep Marvin from pulling a Jay Williams (motorcycle), we'll be in good shape.

Why not take a Flier on Jay Williams from Duke. I thought it would have been good to send them our last second round pick for the Rights to Jay Williams. Good size and can stroke. Heard his rehap has been progressing well. He still has that confidence and will to be great, not just servicable.

we couldn't have traded #59 for jay williams because chicago no longer has his rights

he did tell them he'd give them first priority since they treated him well, but they told him they don't need him now because they have hinrich/duhon/gordon

jay has said he wants to go to a contender, so i don't think he'll come here

Quote:

Marvin could have been a top ten pick last year. He went to school for a year, and projected into the top ten again. That's a good sign.

And that is a very good sign, when a player could of been drafted at a younger age at a top 10 pick and decided to go to school and still gets drafted top 10, nevertheless 2nd player taken in the draft.

Very good possibility, Shock. Anything can happen and Al has room in that team to become a starter and Diaw can become a good bench player for them.

• Premium Member

First off, Al ain't going nowhere. BK has never said anything about future without mentioning Al.. Moreover, you don't even know if Smoove or Williams have PF ability on this level.

Secondly, it means that somebody will be on the bench. Imagine.. When we re-up Al... What will that do for the development of one of these players. Again.. if Marvin is all that then Smoove is odd man out because we know Al can play pf.

Thirdly...

You better believe there's a lot of pressure on Marvin. If he fails, we fail. All of you guys giving this draft an "A".. I ask Why?

We certainly didn't address any of the problems that we had. All we did was GAMBLE...

That Gamble can either Pay Off, Fail or Break Even. A lot of how we did can not be answered NOW, but will be answered more than Likely by what kind of players:

Smoove, Deron, and Paul become.

If Smoove and Paul become Allstars and Marvin does not... We have lost in this draft For sure.

So the grade is actually meaningless.

"First off, Al ain't going nowhere. BK has never said anything about future without mentioning Al."

I don't think this really means anything, Professor Diesel. When has a GM ever said "we plan on trading as soon as possible"?

Quote:

First off, Al ain't going nowhere. BK has never said anything about future without mentioning Al..

Right, and we all know BK would be eager to tell us if he planned on shipping Al this offseason, or halfway through next year, or even a SNT after next year. That sounds just like BK, telling us what he's going to do at some point in the next year. After all, BK is known for giving everybody loud warnings before making any move

He told JT he was going to be around for the re-building shortly after Reef was shipped, a couple of months before he shipped JT to Dallas

I am continually amused and entertained by Diesel's posts, especially when the threads get testy. Regardless of how you feel about him, Diesel is what fuels Hawksquawk. (har-har! been waiting a while to make that pun.)

• Premium Member

Quote:

Right, and we all know BK would be eager to tell us if he planned on shipping Al this offseason, or halfway through next year, or even a SNT after next year.

Find one occassion where BK said anything about SAR, JT, Big Dog, Jax, Walker being a part of this teams future. BK can't BS like most GMs BS because he wants to be the type of GM that can bring in FAs. So far, BK has not BS... Even when we resigned JT... he didn't seem to say he was committed to JT being a part of the Hawks future.

And when he traded those guys it was a feeling that it was expected and had to be done.

However, ever since we got Al, Al has been a key component to our future.

Even recently before the draft, he tried to explain having a three forward rotation with Al, Smoove, Marvin... He would not go to these lengths just to appease Al.. Because if he wanted to trade Al, I don't think he needs to keep it a secret after last night...