• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

When to move Josh to PF?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

I was hoping to get board consensus of when the Hawks should move Josh Smith to PF. First, let me say that I didn't realize how similar Smith's athleticism and build are to Kenyon Martin's. Smith weighed only like 10 pounds less as a 19 y.o. rookie than Martin did as a college senior at Cincy. He's probably going to end up an inch taller.

I've decided to permanently seat myself in the move Smith to PF camp for several reasons:

1. It hides his lack of shooting range.

2. It allows him to be more advantageous in getting rebounds and blocks.

3. It allows Marvin Williams to create mismatches at SF.

So, my question is this - when do the Hawks make the move permanently? In other words, when do YOU think is the opportune time to trade Harrington? Now, at the trading deadline, or as a S&T?

It's a tough call for me. If you trade him now, he has more value because he can be extended. But, then where does the scoring inside come from?

Ideally, if a trade is done now, it has to be for an interior scorer (Curry?). If you wait until the trading deadline, Harrington has less value, but the Hawks will know more about Marvin's impact.

If wait to you trade him as a S&T in the offseason, your taking a big gamble that Harrington will agree to a S&T.

I would do it now if we could trade Al for Curry. As you said without Al we have no post scorer so Curry fill that role. Josh's shot blocking ability make him a better defensively at the 4 then Al. While I do worry about losing Al as a leader I would like to see improvement in the Hawks this year and I think Josh/Curry is probably better in the long run than Al/Curry.

Josh has a crazy work ethic. Let's wait and see how much he has improved his ballhandling and shooting before you move him to the post. He is a wing forward, and IMO, if you move him out of there, you will never see his full potential.

I think Atlanta is going to play JSmoove at SG, Marvin at SF, and JChill as the 6th man. I'm not buying this PF nonsense.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Josh has a crazy work ethic. Let's wait and see how much he has improved his ballhandling and shooting before you move him to the post. He is a wing forward, and IMO, if you move him out of there, you will never see his full potential.

All things equal, PF's are much more valuable than SF's. His potential for greatness might actually be great at the power forward spot.

Let Marvin work on his ballhandling and shooting. Smith can work on interior defense, shotblocking, and rebounding.

Quote:

Quote:

All things equal, PF's are much more valuable than SF's. His potential for greatness might actually be great at the power forward spot.

Let Marvin work on his ballhandling and shooting. Smith can work on interior defense, shotblocking, and rebounding.

Why not let both work on their ballhandling and shooting? I envision Josh & Marvin being THE dominant wing duo when they hit their prime.

• Premium Member

Suggests that Marvin has the size to be PF and his speed may pigeonhole him there. I think Smoove is probably a better choice at Sf. Even though MWilliams Should be the better shooter, I think Smoove may be better suited there speed wise. Plus you get an advantage with Smoove at the Wing on the breaks...

I look at it like having:

Marion/Walker (right now)...

Quote:

I would do it now if we could trade Al for Curry. As you said without Al we have no post scorer so Curry fill that role. Josh's shot blocking ability make him a better defensively at the 4 then Al. While I do worry about losing Al as a leader I would like to see improvement in the Hawks this year and I think Josh/Curry is probably better in the long run than Al/Curry.

You would do it now, but yet Josh Smith started last year when O.B. was the starting center. Whats the difference?

The interesting thing about this is that Josh is working very, very hard this offseason on his peripheral skills, trying to become a more complete basketball player.

I think his future position will be power forward, because I think he's got a big frame and will get a good bit bigger than he is right now. I've compared him to a young Shawn Kemp in the past.

It will be interesting to see how much shooting guard Josh plays during the summer, because it is quite possible that if Josh develops his jump shot enough, he could be an incredible mismatch at the shooting guard position.

Do we need a SF and a PF, or two very versatile forwards. Put them both out their and whoever the other teams PF matches up with - we move him outside and let the other take the SF down to the basket. They either accept the mismatch or go crazy switching.

I like this versatility. smile.gif

Quote:

The interesting thing about this is that Josh is working very, very hard this offseason on his peripheral skills, trying to become a more complete basketball player.

I think his future position will be power forward, because I think he's got a big frame and will get a good bit bigger than he is right now. I've compared him to a young Shawn Kemp in the past.

It will be interesting to see how much shooting guard Josh plays during the summer, because it is quite possible that if Josh develops his jump shot enough, he could be an incredible mismatch at the shooting guard position.

Exactly. Marvin Williams and Josh Smith are both small forwards, for all intent and purpose. But Josh can defend both SG and SF, so it won't matter. Both will start, and neither will play PF.

Just thought I would let everyone know. Marvin played a role similiar to Chris Webber. Where he would shoot lots of turn-around jumpers, make the mid-range shot, along with finishing well in the paint.

Just to let everyone know Smoove played sf in hs. His teammates were Morris and Howard so who do you think played sf.

Smoove and Marvin are very similiar players, with Marvin being better on the offensive end and Smoove being better on the defensive end.

Marion played pf for the Suns in the western conference so I think Smoove and Marvin can handle it in the east.

All I can say is if that Kenyon Martin can be an all-star pf in this league there is no reason that Smoove and Marvin can't be at least that good, especially since both are better shooters.

Guys, I like the exuberance, but Smoove can not check shooting guards. He is not quick enough.

I do agree that Marv and Smoove will be mismatches for other teams though at SF and PF.

This means that Chilz would really need to work on his shot so that he could man the SG position.

Anyone else think that Smoove could back up the C position?