• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Standard BK Must Meet

Guest Walter

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I think we should be smart in who we sign...

That means we don't take Eddy Curry simply because he's available, that also means we don't take Marvin Williams or Much more needed players.

• Premium Member

What is so great about Marvin? If you can share with me what makes Marvin so much better than even Al, I'm listening.. Marvin is not "Great"... Marvin was the flavor of the month overhyped because of what was not seen. I'm not a fan of Felton, but I would love to have two other players at 5 and 13 instead of MW right now. He has yet to prove anything and I doubt that he will.

• Premium Member

KB has put too much of his credit on the hopes of Marvin Williams that he can't admit that the Hawks should think about NEED...

PGs and Cs are the hardest positions to find. Rarely is there ever a star Sf that will take a team anywhere and MWill is no Larry Bird!

I see KB Calling, but he's limping in!

• Premium Member

There must be something else there to help justify it.

1 yr in college is enough to evaluate potential usually. What I saw from MWill in his 1 yr of college is not enough to raise my thoughts on him. IN the bigger games, guy bowed out. I know the posse is coming and they will say that it's because of ROY.. I say BUNK... MWill was horrible in the final four.. That wasn't Roy's doing. Jawad Williams played a lot better.... That wasn't Roy's doing.

After 1 yr, there was no doubt about Mello.

However, after 1yr, there were still as many questions about MWill as before.

• Premium Member

13 win teams don't duplicate positions either.

If MWill was head and shoulders better than the others, I would have no problem with the pick. However, he's just another athletic SF. He's not head and shoulders better than Paul or Deron.. Therefore, I think picking him was a wasted pick... Especially when you consider we already had Al, Smoove, and Chillz.

Quote:

Exactly!

What sense does it make to go against what you are trying to build by getting a mighty mouse point guard that can't defend or an unathletic point guard that lacks the length you want when you can get the one guy who fits your style the best....the long, super athletic, and super versatile Marvin Williams.....the only player with legitimate superstar potential that was drafted?

I'm still trying to figure out how Marvin Williams is the only "legitimate superstar potential" in the draft. Are these the same people that said the 2003 draft was the top 3 and nobody else, or that last years draft was weak? What makes Marvin have superstar potential, but the "reaches" at the 3 and 4 not have superstar potential. I call Paul and Deron reaches, because some of this board act as if the ceiling is so much bigger for Williams, when that is far from the truth.

• Premium Member

KB, your posts show a great deal of naive thoughts...

First you try to justify Marvin Williams as a great player because he tipped in the winning basket in the championship game??? That after one of the most pisspoor performances in the history of NCAA tourney play.

But second you try to justify what the Hawks did by saying:

Quote:

Good drafting teams don't draft for need either

You're a novice.

All teams draft for Need.

It's only the teams that can draw Free agents that don't draft for need. So when you look at the Hawks, we're not a team that can go into free agency and say Look, we have all this money, come and play for us....

Therefore, we must draft for the positions we need... Plain and simple...

Or atleast this offseason is proving my point perfectly. We won't have a shot at a PG the calibre of Williams/Paul for years... We won't get a quality C unless we draft one...

I'm agreeing with Diesel on this one. BK is starting to lose my confidence as a fan in him. His ''long athletic versatile player'' plan is all good in theory, but I dont see it materializing. We'll probably end up with players out of posistion and a team full of holes. Let's face it, BK has not built a basketball team to date. Marvin Williams was not head and shoulders above Chris Paul and not only was PG a need but its also one of the hardest spots to fill on the court. He had the leadership and yes athletic ability and vision to be a great PG for this young team. Would Paul/Childress/Smoove/Al/C not look better than what we have right now which is Diaw/Childress/Smoove/Al/C with Marvin off the bench. I dont see us ever winning a championship with JJ or Diaw at PG. Championship teams usually have above average PGs and/or a great big man. THAT is what championship teams usually have, and THAT is exactly what we dont have. We have a good young core that I'm excited about but it could have been built much better. I think BK gets one more free pass untill after next offseason. If he doesn't address our NEEDS and strikes out again in FA then Professor Chad Ford himself can give him his walking papers.

• Admin

and if it were only a few people hyping him, I would agree. But so many people aren't just going to fall in line and agree with the hype machine. Players, coaches, scouts, gm's, basically everyone that got to see this guy in games, workouts, etc, all felt that he's got amazing potential. Now, I konw what potential is. It's nothing more than athleticism with a lot of undeveloped skills. But if that many people really feel he has that much potential, I'm willing to go with it. I won't give him or BK a pass if he doesn't surpass "those other guys". And you know exactly who I man when I say that wink.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

But so many people aren't just going to fall in line and agree with the hype machine.

It's like a great avalanche... People start to believe it's true because everybody else believe it's true.... And they rationalize it by saying.. gee.. All the scouts, Coaches, and pundits wouldn't say it if it wasn't true...

The problem is that there is no accountability in media. Any guy can say ANY thing and not be held to that word.

But examples of the hype machine...

1. Jay Williams.

2. Christian Laettner (Hype machine got him on the dream team).

3. Olowakhandi.

4. Ferry...

5. William Avery.

6. Dejuan Wagner

7. DeSanga Diop.

8. Ryan Leaf...

• Premium Member

Quote:

13 win teams don't duplicate positions either.

Sure they do, it's called taking the best available player. It's common enough that it has its own phrase.

But this whole argument is old. The Hawks worked out all four of the consensus top4 picks and in their mind, Marvin was the best of the bunch at #2.

Quote:

We knew Milwaukee was working on a trade to get a center, and if they'd been able to pull the trade off, they would have taken Marvin."

That's strange. Wouldn't Milwaukee be duplicating a position? Oh wait, didn't they do that in free agency?

Quote:

Knight's announcement drew no audible reaction in the room, but Steve Belkin, one of the owners, said later he felt the "energy level" drop at the thought of not getting Williams, whom Belkin said he preferred.

Now why would a renown entrepreneur make such a poor business decision and draft for talent instead of need?

Quote:

After making his pick, Knight watched point guards Deron Williams and Chris Paul go, as expected, with the next two picks. Knight had badly wanted one of those picks, one of those point guards, in addition to the No. 2 pick.

The Hawks clearly wanted to fill the point guard position, but couldn't. They decided that it was best to take the best player available and keep building for the future.

Tyson Chandler and Joe Johnson would be perfect fits. If we come out of this offseason with either or both of those, that would be great. Stromile Swift would have been a great option as well. You can talk all day long about how it doesnt matter who we get and this or that, but its pure BS. To leave this offseason without adding any future piece other than Marvin Williams when you have the #2 pick and $25 million in cap space is a failure. You can defend BK to the ends of the earth on this one, but you will be wrong.

Now, I am not giving up on this year. FA has even started yet as far as I am concerned because the only targets I really want that will fit this team are restricted FAs. The Hawks have the ability offer both Chandler and JJ Max contracts and they both fit what BK wants, assuming JJ can actually play the point.

I know you probably cant allow yourself to agree with me on this, but its the truth. There are great options out there this year that can be had and if we dont get any of them, this offseason is a failure. Arguing against that is simply living in denial.