• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

to do it.

I think Levenson buys some shares from his partner in Washington... and gets maybe 31-32% of the ownership...

IF that happens, Belkin would have to give up the Governorship.

I think the reason it may take til the weekend is because they will probably await Stern to turn over power to Levenson...

I wouldn't be mad at that.

Maybe that move may Cause Belkin to sell... For him it's all about the money and the power anyway.

OR

Another resolve might be that the other owners take the Hit of JJ's 20 million and let Belkin sell out next year.

The funny thing to me is this.

If we do sign JJ, JJ will make More than What Belkin bought in for! Twice as much...

I should have known anytime you get ownership by a bunch of partners it never works out.Case in point Aol/TW owning the Braves.There has been alot of grief over the payroll dropping about the Braves and come to find that the upper echelon partners don't want to spend anymore money than they have to on a sports team.They are trying to run it just like any other business.What they fail to realize is you have to invest in good quality ballplayers to win and that is what hawk management is like.There are to many parnets and not one head person to control the building of the organization.

This is the first big free agent that wants to play for the hawks and now these big shot execs probably just belkin doesn't want to sign off it sounds like.After this fiasco provided we have the facts straight I would hope someone buys Belkins shares of the hawks or they tell the guy that you have to invest in order to generate money.Maybe the NBA will take away ownership from these guys and hopefully get a real owner that wants to win? The NBA probably relaizes now that having these new owners of the hawks was a mistake.

Ughhh. That's not good. For some reason I feel the longer this drags out the less likely it is to happen, either the Suns will keep Johnson or they'll trade him somewhere else. It's already been way delayed, for all we know the whole deal may be dead or close to it.

It'd be terrible that when we finally have the opportunity get a good player who actually wants to PLAY HERE, we turn him away. There's no excuse, and if that's what happens then this franchise probably deserves to be where it's at.

• Premium Member

I don't care about Hockey. I don't care how much they control...

I was a fan when Turner owner the Braves, Hawks, Chiefs, and Flames.. and he coached the Hawks for 1 game...

None of that other stuff really matters..

I think if Levenson becomes the managing partner, he might give BK the governorship... I think that's the only real way to restore FAs faith in BK as a GM.. Because right now, Belkin has just chopped BK's nuts off and held them up for all FAs to see!

This Belkin character is a joke, I wonder if the NBA has any way or right to take away ownership from this jackass. I would imagine not since he did pay good money to own this team. It bothers me that this guy tries to buy several teams and fails just to buy the Hawks. It shows that he cares nothing about the Hawks, and that he only wants to own a NBA team in order to make some cash from it. You can not run a NBA team like a business.

• Premium Member

Belkin already doesn't like the direction the Hawks is going and him holding the majority of shares is the only thing keeping him in it. He's the governor so he does what HE wants to do.

However, the answer is this..

It's starts in Washington.

Together they Hold 40% to Belkin's 30%.

If Washington sell to one or the other and make one of the guys 32 to the other's 8, then he become the managing partner and the NBA has no authority not to recognize him as Governor.

I think if this happens and if Stern agrees to it...

Belkin will look to sell out as quickly as possible. My opinion is that he doesn't want to lose his POWER and he doesn't want the Hawks to spend money... It's an investment... and giving JJ twice as much as he spent to get in is not in his plans...

Time for the Coup!

Quote:

It bothers me that this guy tries to buy several teams and fails just to buy the Hawks. It shows that he cares nothing about the Hawks, and that he only wants to own a NBA team in order to make some cash from it. You can not run a NBA team like a business.

Thanks. I couldn't remember the exact reason why I didn't like this guy, but your post reminded me. lol

Delays like this are just terrible. There's not really any way to minimize that fact. You either get it done, or you leave yourself open to the entire thing collapsing. Maybe during the delay Phoenix will get cold feet, or maybe Johnson will. That's the risk you run, and it is idiotic.

You've got a done deal sitting there on the table. Either do it or don't, [censored] or get off the damn pot.

Guest Walter

a coup will take more time than JJ or PHE have to wait. I don't know how management is set up, but if it was so easy after the first fall-out it would have been fixed. It's not so easy as you describe which is why we are left with the problem at such an inopportune time.

W

• Premium Member

Just listening to how the story plays out..

I think this was kinda expected and a coup was planned before. The April Meeting with Stern with Stern saying "Just work it out"... tells me that this RIFT is deep and on-going.

Also, who gave BK the authorization to make the deal with Phoenix.... and why is BK so confident. BK says we will fix it and move on...

I think that the exchange of shares may have already been done in Washington and the weekend wait is probably a wait for Stern to change over power.

Remember, all they need is a signature.

Changing the governorship is not something that will take weeks... All Stern needs is prove that the Shares have changed hands...

I believe this deal is only reliant on Stern's ability to grant Levenson or the other guy the governorship (which rightfully, they should give to BK)...

What it will do is Strip Belkin of his power and may force him to sell out!

screw just making him sell his stake, i say somebody needs to kick the crap out of Belkin. a good old fashioned dragaroundtheyard..i'm sure BK would like to...and i'd pay to see it..what a freakin tool..ignorant azzholes piss me off.

even if he thought he had real reasons to disagree with with the trade, did he not think to himself that stopping the trade would cause issues (such as future loss of money, apparently his only concern?) that would damage the team?

how come Stern allows these types of people to own teams?

is there no Hawks fan with enough money to buy the team?

Arthur Blank, put on your cape, we need you now.

dammit man, there are REAL Hawks fans out there and we do have a pretty good history..and we have the potential to turn it around..i say it again, he needs his azz whipped.

Quote:

Well - this morning the board was in two camps - those who said the problem was serious (diesel, moi, and others) and those who said it was just about missing signatures.

In all fairness, I don't think anyone was saying it was not serious. One camp was saying it was very serious, the other camp was saying that there was only one vague article, and no way of knowing if it is serious or not yet. The fact that it appears that you guessed right does not change the fact that it was a guess. But kudos if you're looking to pat yourself on the back.

This news certainly does not look good.

That being said, I still expect us to get this done. If that happens, I feel like we still had a great offseason, but it is clear that we have real ownership issues. Some sort of chain of command has to be established in the mixed ownership, and they need to publicize who has what powers. There should be a single owner in charge of basketball, and his name should not be Belkin.

If the deal doesn't get done, this is flat out catastrophic. I think we all understand why, but let's hope that it doesn't come to that.

If it gets done, we took 2 steps forward and one step back in the process of getting JJ. We look goofy, but at least we attracted two separate FA's who want their teams let them go play in atlanta. That's a HUUUGE improvement over being the losers everyone avoids like the plague, even with awkward owners

Guest Walter

That's how long it could take to get undone. Same thing. In both cases signings had to happen. The problem in this case. Unlike with AOL and all business, this is personal. Belkin and these guys don't get along. When business gets personal, double the time. Moreover, these are likely ego-maniacs. It's not only personal but pride has been hurt along the way.

The only thing that saves us is if Stern steps in.

W

Look -

This JJ contract has been on the table for weeks. Belkin HAD to be on board for it. He HAD to.

Which means the part he's not agreeing to is the sign and trade.

Especially after the Phoenix management holds a news conference and bad mouths JJ and JJ has bad mouthed management.

Belkin must be wondering why the !@$# are we doing a sign and trade instead of just having him sign an offer sheet. There's no way with all the bad mouthing that they'll match, and no one would trade for that contract anyway. So call the bluff.

My guess is that BK's position is that once the sign and trade talks were underway, everything was done in good faith and you can't back stab like that.

Belkin doesn't give a rat's ass about BK's reputation and just wants to play hardball.

That's all I can figure out.