• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I Can understand Belkin's side and can respect it!

Wurider05

I had the same feeling when the sign and trade was announced that we were being fleeced really bad. I want Joe Johnson on this team just as bad as anyone else but why give them so much when they were not going to keep him. Boris and one pick (preferably 2nd round) should have been enough. Belkin felt as if they were getting over on us and you guys know that they are. Even though I feel that we are giving too much up I still want the trade to go through. We are at a point where we are not respected by anyone and that hopefully this is the only time we get hoodwinked like this but this trade must go through by any means necessary. The only problem I have with Belkin is that he isn't looking at the big picture. Yes we are getting screwed but you take the hit this one time because it is worth it.

How is Boris Diaw and what will amount to two picks in the 15-20 range too much to give up for Joe Johnson, a player that is capable of playing the point guard position and giving you 20 ppg, 5 apg, and 5 rpg night after night?

of course we are hoping that in 2007 we are picking around that area, but without any bigs in the draft or FA worth a damn next year we will be hard pressed to be a playoff team in the next 2 years. I think Belkin has a legit beef......the question just becomes did he know about it before it went public or did he find out about it like we did.

• Admin

If, year after next, we aren't a playoff team, they get our pick, regardless. I would take the risk. But I can fully understand why he was hesitant.

I like our chances of being a playoff team in 2 years. With JJ I think we'd be a much improved team next year, but not quite a playoff team. The following year, I think we would make it. But maybe not. I'd still do the deal. But I can see the risk.

• Premium Member

I find it funny that people are so excited about these young guys' potential, but don't think they'll translate into more wins in two years.

Another element that many of you are ignoring is that the Hawks would still have cap room to add players both this year and next year to get this team to the playoffs as soon as possible. (Plus, they would still have a pick).

You can't make moves assuming your team will suck indefinitely. You have to have a vision and (I sound like KB) Knight does.

He's taking a risk, but he's justifying the risk by saying that these young players are only going to get better and gel as a team.

• Premium Member

That's what it's really all about. Do you believe?

here's my response:

In the next 2 yrs we have 3 picks.

Billy might trade Al to get another pick in 2007?

That would be 4 picks in 2 yrs.. 2 picks we'd have to give up if we're not in the lottery.

Our team with JJ should do better than 13 games.

Our team WONT remain stagnant. We still have deals to make and FAcy to get.

Here's my final word. We have been totally unsuccessful at attracting free agents. Here's the opportunity for us to get a TOP FA who wants to be here. This could be the rock through the glass that helps us to acquire more and better free agents. With our core of the Josh's and Marvin and maybe Al, getting JJ would give us a team that others can look at and would like to be a part of...

Belkin excuse is weak...

• Premium Member

Quote:

or siding iwth his logic. But you can't deny that there is some logic behind it. He doesn't believe we'll be a playoff team in two years. Maybe all the deal needs for him to sign off on it is some tweaking. Who knows man, still so much speculation..

Very little logic. If he's willing to give the guy max money, he believes in his talent and potential. If he wanted a little more protection on the draft pick, he should have voiced his concern earlier.

IMO, it has nothing to do with the picks...

when there are 2-3 cant miss big time center prospects. Dont you remember when we had to give up top 10 picks in consecutive years to the Clippers and Bucks how bad that sucked? I mean we only missed out on the chance to draft Amare Stoudemire in 2002 and TJ Ford in 2003. Thankfully Memphis got Lorenzen Wright and San Antonio had Glenn Robinson to show for our giving up those 2 lottery picks.

How would you feel if we missed out on a franchise C in 2007 because of this deal, especially if a little more harcore negotiating could have pushed back the protection one more year or at least made it top 8 in 2007 and top 3 in 2008.

• Admin

and we're a team full of young, raw players. JJ and Al alone aren't going to make us playoff contenders. It's going to take some solid development from the Josh's, Marvin and Salim for that to happen. he's not confident that it will happen and I can completely understand that. I don't agree with it. But I understand it.

Just because you believe in a guys ability and potential, doesn't mean you think he'll take your young, unproven team and make it a playoff team in two years.

I think it might be a both the picks and the ownership struggle. Protecting the picks is insurance against stinking and a smart move. Even with JJ there is a great possibility we end up in the lottery in the next few years.

We could be the baby Bulls except that we have traded away our pick that would have been Ben Gordon.

• Premium Member

Quote:

when there are 2-3 cant miss big time center prospects.

If there are 2-3 "can't miss center prospects," then they will go top3. There certainly is a chance that the Hawks miss out on a center prospect, but there's an even greater chance that JJ will end up a better player than both draft picks.

Again, worst case scenario assumes that the youngest team in the league doesn't improve in the next 2-3 years at all.

• Premium Member

If the trade goes, we still have 1 of the 3 picks in the next two years and BK could probably work out another pick.

However, we can't think that we can get anywhere with draftpicks alone.

problems, regardless of whether this deal goes through or not. A 2007 #4 pick means that we have reached Clipperland as a franchise. That would be EIGHT STRAIGHT YEARS not even getting near the playoffs. It would also mean that the Joshes at least, and maybe Marvin, are likely not going to be as good as many of us think they will be.

Honestly, I have little to NO interest in a high lottery pick for 2007. Going into 2007, assuming we have JJ, the Joshes, Marvin, ZaZa, Salim and whoever we draft next year all under the age of 26, I think that is plenty of youth and potential to go forward with. All we'll likely get at #4 is ANOTHER young guy who probably won't be ready to play at the NBA level for another 2-3 years.

• Premium Member

As easy as it is that we could be picking 4th, we could be picking 27th...

It's a meaningless argument.

The only thing that makes sens in our situation is to get the most talent that we can.

A bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush...

We shouldn't hold up our future based on "the possibility" of picking fourth...

• Moderators

I think top 3 protection in 2007 for Atlanta's pick is too much risk. However, that doesn't mean that once the deal is announced the analysis stays the same. Once your GM and rest of management commit to JJ, then you do major damage to your franchise by trying to block the deal. At that point, you go ahead and do the trade and kick some tail behind the scene for going behind your back.

This partnership is broken beyond repair and Belkin must go - even though I agree with him on the lack of protection in 2007.