• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New NBA DRESS CODE!

cyman3

Of course. Well not just selling ads, but selling period. Selling ads, selling tv ads, selling luxury boxes to big businessmen. Just selling.

This will help sell to people who are bothered by the current image problem, while street types are not going to stop buying NBA jerseys or seats because of this. If anything I could see jersey sales increasing.

As I've said before, the NBA allied itself with hiphop because it saw an untapped market to help them sell. Now they feel they're too far in that direction, so they're trying to rein it in somewhat by having guys dress better in the arena. The only color that matters here is green.

They don't like JWill dressing hiphop and he's white, they don't like Duncan dressing like a bum and he's not hiphop at all. Same for Nash. Just because most people affected are black doesn't make it racist. Most NBA players are young and black, so any rule can be interpreted as racist if you just looked at who it impacts. That's not what makes a rule racist or not.

They feel that professional clothes will help sell their product and I'm sure they're right. Nothing wrong with that.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

There is conflict if the move was just to sell. I think it's image but not just to sell because believe it or not, the Thug image sells just fine.

If you go to the mechandizing depts in Sports..

Football.

1. Randy Moss = Oakland

2. Micheal Vick = Falcons.

3. LT = Chargers.

Basketball

1. Allen Iverson = Philly

2. Shaq fu = Heat.

3. Lebron James = Cavs

After Jordan Left Basketball, Allen Iverson perched himself on top of the Merchandizing depts in basketball. Only one year was he surpassed by Shaq and another year by Jordan since Jordan left the Bulls. I would say that's a good track record despite Image. I think Duncan/Kobe has never cracked the top 10.. In fact, I think Kobe was close to dead last last yr!

Yeah, the NBA should be worried about the fact that are

getting shamed in a game they played a part in making

popular in the first place. That should be a concern, as

should the league having too many teams.

1.The League is too young

2.The League has fundamental issues

3.Something needs to done about GM's terrible spending

habbits in giving players contracts that will cripple

the franchises. This matters I think even more so because

having to give one or two players EXTREMELY high contracts

causes little spending elsewhere which obviousally makes

teams more watered down.

4.MJ currently haunts the NBA. While he was great, now every

body wants to be like him and just hold the ball all the

time.

Just a few problems. The NBA has enough problems right now

on court... But they are worried about how the players dress

when they aren't playing? I guess they are more worried about selling to their sponsers than they are the NBA fans.

Thinking about it more, it does seem like the NBA is just

out to please the sponsers.

My point is the NBA should be worried about the oncourt stuff first.

Quote:

They tried to adress these things by putting in an age limit, so that players come in older and with more schooling on fundamentals..

Quote:

teams more watered down.

They tried adressing that by making max contracts shorter and cheaper. The problem is that they always have to fight the player's association. Still, they were able to take max contracts down by a year.

Quote:

time.

That's true and there isn't much they can do about it. They removed the ban on the zone to encourage ball movement and shooting, and no longer have it bue a 1-on-1 isolation league by rule.

Quote:

when they aren't playing? I guess they are more worried about selling to their sponsers than they are the NBA fans.

That's not a fair statement. They have been adressing those issues. They can't snap their fingers and suddenly have the players be less selfish and better shooters. Alot of the problems are occurring before players come to the NBA, as you see international players still coming in fundamentally sound whereas US players are not. What more do you want them to do on top of what they're doing?

That being said, they are adressing the image problem in part. It's not instead of the other problems, it's on top of it. I don't see what the problem is. Also it's not just for corporate sponsors. There are also alot of fans (particularly older people - white and black) who are put off by guys looking like bums on the bench, or looking like arrogant @sses with their sunglasses on for the post game interviews. I don't see what's wrong with them doing that, it's not like they haven't been adressing the other issues

Ive read some pretty entertaining posts from some of you guys. I wanted to post a few times, but chillzatl pretty much hammered out everything i wanted to say. chillz... you have a good head on your shoulders.

I think Cuttino Mobley should have a school where players go to learn how to dress. Have you ever seen this guy sitting on the bench in his suits? He could easily have his own show on MTV or ESPN where a guy like Ricky Davis comes over and is turned into Colin Powell. The unintentional comedy would be paralyzing.

Quote:

Quote:

They tried to adress these things by putting in an age limit, so that players come in older and with more schooling on fundamentals..

Quote:

teams more watered down.

They tried adressing that by making max contracts shorter and cheaper. The problem is that they always have to fight the player's association. Still, they were able to take max contracts down by a year.

Quote:

time.

That's true and there isn't much they can do about it. They removed the ban on the zone to encourage ball movement and shooting, and no longer have it bue a 1-on-1 isolation league by rule.

Quote:

That's not a fair statement. They have been adressing those issues. They can't snap their fingers and suddenly have the players be less selfish and better shooters. Alot of the problems are occurring before players come to the NBA, as you see international players still coming in fundamentally sound whereas US players are not. What more do you want them to do on top of what they're doing?

That being said, they are adressing the image problem in part. It's not instead of the other problems, it's on top of it. I don't see what the problem is. Also it's not just for corporate sponsors. There are also alot of fans (particularly older people - white and black) who are put off by guys looking like bums on the bench, or looking like arrogant @sses with their sunglasses on for the post game interviews. I don't see what's wrong with them doing that, it's not like they haven't been adressing the other issues

Yes, they have done somethings. The problem is that alot

of the damage is done. I don't think this new dress code is

going to change many peoples attitude other than the sponsers maybe. People are still going to realize suits and

ties aren't all the NBA players personality. I don't think

that seeing Iverson in a suit and tie is going to change

peoples opinion of him.

Yes, they aren't all white men that have a problem. I was

arguing with an older black woman about this subject just

a few months ago. But as I said, I don't think this dress

code is going to effect many peoples opinion.

I just think the NBA should be more worried about improving

the game even futher oncourt and perhaps try to come up

with a solution for the sometimes shotty job by the refs.

One thing they've seen to be focused on his flops. I've read

that flopping will not be as easy to get away with and that's a plus.

But you're acting as if they've spent years working on this instead of working on other issues. They haven't. It occurred to them that this is a small easy thing that can help, and that the player's union agreed. If it can help even just a tiny bit, why not do it? It's not taking away from any other efforts.

I don't think it will help that much... Mostly because players probably will still get in offcourt problems. You

think that many more people are going to watch just because

somebody wears a suit sitting on the bench? I don't.

I think taking steps to help prevent offcourt troubles

would help.. But I don't know how the league should go about

that.

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't think this new dress code is

going to change many peoples attitude other than the sponsers maybe.

The sponsers are the most important opinion in the eyes of the NBA. They could totally agree with your statement and would still be sold on the dress code.