Gibson vs Rondo

exodus

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

most guys in the L that play the minutes that Kidd play, have the ball in their hands as much as he does, could avg. 15 ppg. I'm not knocking him for that...simply stating that he can't shoot very well...yet people respect his game as a pg..

Oh, no doubt he couldn't shoot a jumper to save his battered wife's life, but his ability to drive and run the break is what makes him a phenomenal PG - and what makes defenses respect his game.

rondo was the most impressive i saw last night. did you see those hands?

if at draft time he's not projected as high as we pick, maybe we can work a trade to get 2 lower picks. i would really like someone like shelden williams in addition to a gifted point.

i think rondo will learn to pull up and pop that thing.

• Premium Member

I don't think that the value of Rondo will be high on this board because many of them think that having a PG that scores 21 ppg is the way you go...

For those, I offer you Tyronn Lue. He was a prolific scorer in College. He scored 21 ppg and had about 5 apg.

However, I like Rondo better. Speed + Hands + BBIQ + PGing ability.

Gibson is good too, but I would prefer Rondo.

I would like Rondo better if he wasn't so skinny. Looks like he will get pushed around very easily, making it tough to penetrate and to guard stronger players.

Of course I haven't seen that much of him but that is just my impression.

I don't care much for Gibson either. Last year he looked a little like JT to me. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was a freshman and 2 of their main scorers were hurt. He was forced to be a scorer.

Last night he couldn't use that excuse. He scored 17 in the first half, shot extremely well, and looked horrible. He had 6 turnovers in the half and could have had more if his team hadn't recovered some loose balls.

• Moderators

On Rondo - he does not shoot a good jump shot but easily gets by his man and does a good job penetrating and finishing (which is why he led the U-21 team in FG%). Bear in mind he scored 17 and 19 points in his first two games and was leading the team in scoring, assists, rebounds, and steals coming into last night.

One thing that was unusual about Rondo's game last night was that he pulled the ball out to set up the offense rather than press for fast break points much more than usual. I am convinced that was a deliberate strategy and that it hurt Rondo's ability to score since he is much better in the open court than in the half-court as a scorer at this point in his career.

One other thing that is a staple of his game that people didn't see last night is that he usually connects for 1-2 alley-oops per game - on the receiving end. They ran one but he was fouled right as he started going up. He has great elevation.

The Brevin Knight comparison fails for me based on a couple fronts:

(1) Height/Physique: Knight is 5-10 and Rondo is 6-1. That is a significant difference. In addition, Rondo's hands are so big they allow him to do things on both ends of the floor that most PGs cannot.

(2) Athleticism: Rondo is faster and more athletic.

Where the comparison is good is that both were successful college PGs who did not have good outside shots. However, I wouldn't use Knight as the baseline for the expected career of the PG whose HS coach said he was better than Rod Strickland (who he also coached) and who set records as a UK freshman last year.

• Premium Member

I think all those who try to compare Rondo to Brevin or probably the same one who tried to compare Paul to Brevin.

First off, Brevin was a very good college PG and he didn't lack scoring. He put up about 16 ppgs... and he was above 40% in FG% and 3pt% as a collegiate. Not to mention that he is such a floor general.

I think Brevin's problem coming out of his second year in the NBA is that teams found out that they can be physical with him. He's still an awesome play maker who can go for 15 assists any night of the week. We should have made a play for Knight.

Rondo is different though. Rondo is faster. Rondo is slightly better defensively. Rondo is a better rebounder. Rondo will penetrate. Their games are definitely different. The only real similarity is that they both are pass first kind of guys who win. I would happily take Rondo!

Rondo's "kryptonite" is his FT shooting. As a guard, you'd like his FG shoting to be over 75%, but he shoots in the high 50s%. I've seen Kentucky games last year, in which Tubby had to take Rondo out of the game during situations in which the other team started fouling to cut a lead down.

It's just strange to see a PG shoot that low from the FT line. Other than that, his game is pretty dang good, even with the suspect jumper. He's easily on of the quickest, most explosive guards in college right now.

A PG, who is supposed to have the ball in his hands at crunch time, shooting 57% from the line? Why that's downright Shaq-like!! Remember how Chris Paul salted the game away against the Hawks with his FT shooting? You won't get any of that with Rondo that's for sure.

After watching Rondo play last night and seeing how bad his FT% is I'd rather just grab the best PF/C available in the draft and then sign Speedy Claxton to a reasonable contract to run the point until we can get a future stud like Paul. That's the same formula the Hornets and the Bobcats took (the Hornets had Speedy before they drafted Paul and the Bobcats had Brevin Knight before they drafted Raymond Felton) and I think it would work just as well here.

well it's not like he's a concensus pick to be the top PG picked. Most have brewer as the top pg, some have gibson. It's pretty much a 3 horse race.

It's much too early to decide on anything.

I had low expectations of Bogut a year ago and would have given anything to get him come draft time. These guys have a year to prove their worth

Don't waste your breath. It will be Gay or Adam Morrison. The draft sites already have us picking Gay. (Of course we could trade Morrison to the Celtics for anyone we want plus their pick - they are still looking for the next Larry Bird. Adam M is not far off.)

How about Hernandez?