I would fire Woodson on Thursday.

mrhonline

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am conflicted on this.

I think that continuity is tremendously important. HOWEVER, if it is clear that Woody just doesn't have it and will be gone after this year, we might as well go ahead and replace him so next year's team has more experience with the new coach. And I am increasingly thinking that Woody just isn't going to cut it. He is not the reason that we are bad, but I think he is a large part of the reason that we are far and away the worst team in the league. I can handle losing, but I can't handle being completely clueless on both sides of the floor for most of the time. I honestly can't imagine any way in which Woody could be worse.

He's not winning, he's not particularly developing the young players, he's not preventing locker room divisions, so what is he doing really?

Now of course inside sources would know much more on exactly what he is bringing to the table and how likely it looks that he will be a good coach, but it's not looking good from the outside. I am willing to be patient with him, but only if he is showing reasons to have confidence in him behind closed doors. If he's just not that good and only here because of BK, then let's start the healing ASAP

My question is, who will replace him in the long run? We need a veteran. We need Paul Silas

Should be interesting to see how this plays out

Quote:

Quote:

Is it fair to just fire Woodson and not Knight?

For now, yes. Salim looks like a good pick, the owners were excited about Marvin, and JJ looks like a good acquisition.

Woodson, on the other hand, has taken a bad situation and made it laughable.

One thing at a time.

What you've said is all true, but I keep thinking back to what d*ck Vitale said (ranted) on draft night: Woodson should have demanded that his employment last the length of Marvin's contract, since the Hawks were, by all opinions both expert and amateur, passing on players who could help the team in the short term.

At this point, Woodson has to feel like one of those besieged Roman generals stuck in impoverished backwater towns who slowly went insane. Woodson clearly seems to be fiddling while the Hawks burn.

Quote:

No doubt...

But y'know...if it weren't for his distrust of the youth, I'd almost say his anti-star philosphy is perfect for this squad. It's the kind of team that LW works best with.

Hahah, if he were here, who would he play if he didn't trust the youth? smile.gif

"Alright guys, we're running a Delk-Lue-Harrington 3-on-5 attack. The rest of you neophytes watch and learn!"

• Premium Member

Couldn't agree more...

We are showing ZERO progress and no kind of consistency...and the team seems to be in a huge mess. They are saying things like nobody has a problem with anyone in the locker room...but how long until it escalates into that?

Somebody needs to do something.

• Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing...but I didn't want to write that and give anyone any ideas...

"Hmm...maybe, y'know since this is a team full of young guys that Lenny would have to play SOMEBODY..."

lol

NO WAY, JOSE!

Quote:

It would be like he gets the final laugh on Babcock...

He would trade Delk for Rebraca

He would play:

Lue/JJ/Al/Zaza/Rebraca.. for 37 mpg...

They'd learn team chemistry...

Rebraca who is out with a heart problem? Good idea.

I think Woodson isn't the only problem, but something has to change, and he's the only "asset" the franchise has that hasn't shown enough "potential" to be moved. I haven't watched a single game yet where I came away saying, "man, the team isn't that good, but Woodson sure had them playing all out the entire game". He's never wowed me with strategy, offensive style or defensive intensity.

BK has made some miff jobs. I'm as big a Marvin supporter as you can find, but I think we made a mistake not getting Paul, Felton or Jack somehow out of the draft. He's made some mistakes for sure, but I like enough of his acquisitions that it tells me he might be the right guy.

All the players have shown what they can be at some point. You can make an argument for almost every player on the roster for why we should keep him around.

I just don't feel that way about Woodson.

The only continuity were maintaining with him around is a negative one.

He's lost the team, every day he remains on the job digs the whole deeper.

We need to give these kids a spark, and a new coach could do that. I'm not sure it will work if Herb or Drew take over, but it might.

the bigger question would be which parts of the team has he lost??? the vets or the young bucks? how did this happen?

Woody's 'blame' depends greatly on what's going on in the lockerroom, something I wager most of us have no true idea about...

The team is struggling...but I wager that nearly each poster has a different opinion on what our 'starting lineup' should be, who should be playing where down the stretch, etc...

in regards to the losing being the coaches fault...I somehow keep wishing for one ofgreymule's insightful/vague posts about a baseball manager who 'couldn't get it done'...and then that person turning out to be Joe Torre

citing Diesel's recent thoughts on the subject...the thing that this team, and indeed the entire organization, needs more than anything (at this point)...continuity."

You can have continuity when you have somebody that can

dothe job correctly... It doesn't appears as if Billy and

Mike can do so.The team you could argue is currently in

his biggest hole ever.

Sorry for the repost but this applies here too. I guess it really boils down to consistency. I guess changing my tire every time the road gets bumpy does not work for me. I say that to say, you have to take the growing pains. I hate to see us loose. I was with all this change only because I was tired of us getting to the second round of the playoffs and loosing. That was just getting on my nerves. So now what, 50 players and 5 coaches later we are begging for what we used to have. How do we get back there? Do we keep applying band aids, do you put your kid up for adoption because they are failing in school. I don't think so. I think we let the wounds heal. Let the growing pains occur. You have to find a way to put the fire under the people. Don't fire them. Start docking pay or something. Make people want to play or coach for another reason if winning a game does not work for them.

Quote:

Sorry for the repost but this applies here too. I guess it really boils down to consistency. I guess changing my tire every time the road gets bumpy does not work for me.

I think the better analogy is, shouldn't you change the tire if it's flat - even if you just drove it out of the shop. You shouldn't ignore it just because you only put five miles on it because in the end you might end up paying for alot more than the tire.

The Bulls did it three times trying to get it right (rebuilding) and they are only just now clawing their way to respectability. Sometimes you have to start over - whether thats 10 years or one week into it.

• Premium Member

Neither of those analogies apply...

Mudderfudder..

Your analogy suggests that you believe that the car should come out of the shop without a flat tire?

We are a young team with a young coach... If Flat Tire means a team that wins.. I don't think that the expectation is that of a team that would come out the gate winning.

Me myself personally thought and said that if we adopt an offensive philosophy we would score points and win games.

However, that's not the road that Woody took. Does that make Woody a coach that needs to be fired? NO. However, Woody has been given a team of undeveloped potential and asked many of you expect Woody to win automatically.

I say that we should win the games we can win.

Moreover, until the Phoenix game, we haven't looked bad.

if Anything, I say that the only issues that makes me question Woody's coaching are:

1. His ability to handle the lockerroom.

2. His statement about not being able to coach Diaw.

However, for us to win something... we have to show some kind of consistency..

BUT... if he has lost control of the players, it's time to get somebody with a deeper voice.

Quote:

if Anything, I say that the only issues that makes me question Woody's coaching are:

1. His ability to handle the lockerroom.

2. His statement about not being able to coach Diaw.

I think Woodson is essential bajs (ask a Swede), but he can't be blamed for #2. Diaw was an uncoachable unless he was in the absolute perfect situation where he wouldn't pout and refuse to work.