• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Salim for Watson?

exodus

Just curious if you guys would do this trade. Denver is probably shopping either Watson or Miller and we have already covered a Miller trade.

Denver needs a shooter and they have a big pg in Miller to play Salim at the 2. Watson is a very tough defender at the point and likes to push the ball, although he isn't a shooter and is a little turnover prone.

I am undecided. Plus Watson is a base year player, and to be honest I don't even know what the rules are trading base year players.

Denver is looking for a 3pt shooter and Salim fits the bill.

Everyone here seems to think Lue can't play the point. I guess they must not be too impressed with Watson either.

Denver seems to be the only team that has a pg to trade and they need shooting. If they would take Lue for Watson that would be fine but I don't see that happening.

• Premium Member

are you outta your mind???? Salim for Watson??? Watson is sitting on the pine. Salim has the outside shooting ability that the hawks have never had. No Salimn isn't going anywhere unless that idiot of a GM we have is on crack!

Yeah what an awesome trade idea. I say do it. Matter of fact, trade Marvin, too. And I am sure we can get rid of Al and Lue as well. Then we fire Woody and promote Nique to coach. Then we can finally have a winless season.

Quote:

If you guys think the Hawks have any chance to get a quality pg by trading Harrington or Childress you need a serious reality check. Most of the trades I have seen posted on here are ridiculously homerific.

Or completely retarded...like Salim for Earl Watson.

Exodus, I agree, that is a good theoretical trade proposal. I'm with the other guys, I wouldnt do it but you are right, it's not gonna be easy to just pick up a good point. I think Salim fits well in the backcourt with JJ to finish off games. Add Marvin, JSmoove, and ZaZa and that's how I want us to close out games the rest of the year. I'd still like to see us pick up a good running point guard to start and to get us easy baskets during the game. We'll probably have to draft Rondo to get one.

I think Miller would be the best PG we had since Mookie. We need an another PF / C and he is better than anyone we have now anyway. I don't think Childress is a core piece and Harrington is a free agent to be. Salim may be the only one we should not trade, but it takes talent to receive talent.

You guys are missing the point i believe. Nobody has even touched on it. Granted this is not a no brainer trade but it is a much better trade than you guys seem to think.

The reason goes back to a question: What is more important in basketball, offense or defense? The answer is defense, for a very simple reason. Even the best offensive players/teams blow hot and cold. That is the nature of shooting. Even the best shooters have days when they can't buy a bucket, and usually it affects the shooting of the rest of the team.

Defense is different. A strong defender is generally a strong defender night in and night out. Some days a player may be tired or less motivated than others but overall their defensive performance will be much more consistent than the performance of a good offensive player. How many off nights do Ben Wallace and Bruce Bowen have on D? If you combine their off nights and add them up for a year they won't equal the number of off shooting nights guys like Ray Allen or Kobe Bryant have in a month.

Earl Watson is one of the best defenders in the game at the point position. Salim is a scorer off the bench. Which will be more valuable night in and night out?

Quote:

You guys are missing the point i believe. Nobody has even touched on it. Granted this is not a no brainer trade but it is a much better trade than you guys seem to think.

The reason goes back to a question: What is more important in basketball, offense or defense? The answer is defense, for a very simple reason. Even the best offensive players/teams blow hot and cold. That is the nature of shooting. Even the best shooters have days when they can't buy a bucket, and usually it affects the shooting of the rest of the team.

Defense is different. A strong defender is generally a strong defender night in and night out. Some days a player may be tired or less motivated than others but overall their defensive performance will be much more consistent than the performance of a good offensive player. How many off nights do Ben Wallace and Bruce Bowen have on D? If you combine their off nights and add them up for a year they won't equal the number of off shooting nights guys like Ray Allen or Kobe Bryant have in a month.

Earl Watson is one of the best defenders in the game at the point position. Salim is a scorer off the bench. Which will be more valuable night in and night out?

LOL . . actually . . Salim as a scoring threat is much more needed for the Hawks than Watson as a defender. If Watson comes here, he's going to have to provide points as well as his defense. Because we'll still not be able to stop people on the interior, it will be important for us to still put points on the board.

Part of the problem with the Hawks, is that they go through long scoring droughts ( 3 + minutes at a time ) in which the game usually gets out of hand. It's not the other team's PGs that are usually torching us on offense, it's the forwards and centers. Salim isn't a horrible defender like Lue, but he isn't Earl Watson on defense either.

Once Harrington is dealt, we're going to need someone to score on this team outside of JJ. Salim may be forced to be that guy.

Quote:

LOL . . actually . . Salim as a scoring threat is much more needed for the Hawks than Watson as a defender

Not really. The last I checked the Hawks were second to last in fg% defense. They have guys who can shoot they just aren't hitting so far.

Defensively every position plays a role. The Hawks ALWAYS get killed by teams with a quick backcourt. Last year the Wizards and the Bulls owned them for this reason.

JJ is a good defender and adding Watson would make them one of the best defensive backcourts in the league.

The Hawks D will improve if Harrington gets dealt. Then Smith will move to the 4 and Marvin would start at the 3. Then after the season they could sign Przybilla and they would be a good defensive team.

There are so many quick, penetrating point guards in the league and the Hawks have nobody that can handle them.

Salim is not a great all around offensive player. He doesn't have the size or moves that Gordon has to free himself for a shot. He struggles against taller players and also has trouble finishing at the rim.