OK...

Diesel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I'm glad we're winning now, but imagine, we'd be a winning playoff team had we picked Paul.

Your statement makes it sound as if Marvin has contributed positively to our winning. I would say he has contributed negatively. Those wasted minutes he was on the floor could have gone to Chillz or Smoove.

Had we gotten Paul, we'd have about 12-14 wins by now.

I'm sort of torn on it to be honest with you. In one hand, you have Chris Paul lighting it up in New Orleans/Baton Rouge/Oklahoma City and in the other, you have Marvin Williams, while stilling learning and having flashes of good play, he still finds himself riding the pines behind Smith and Childress. Despite the disparity of minutes between Paul and Williams, there is no question that Paul has had a greater impact on his team so far. Just how many more wins would the Hawks have right now if Paul was on this team, getting the ball to guys in the right spots where they can best succeed? While I mostly agree on the upside of Williams, you can only go so many years with a glaring weakness on your roster (PG/C) and not make a conscious effort to address it. If Marvin Williams becomes all that we think (and hope) he is in a couple of years, then it was worth it, only if the right move is made with Harrington to bring in a PG or a big man to compliment Zaza and not any player collecting an NBA check; a good one. If it doesn't.....

• Admin

But when I see marvin play, I see his talent. The guy has a great shot, he's an excellent rebounder and just a very good all-around player, period. he's like the 8th wheel on this team right now. He'll find his way and be a very good player for us. He likely won't have the same type of impact that Paul would have. But he can be every bit as valuable for us in the long run.

• Moderators

I wasn't opposed to picking Marvin, but I am disappointed. The one thing I'll give him is that his points are low because he rarely gets the ball on the offensive end.

But think about it. Smoove was contributing more,faster than Marvin is. Smoove was supposed to be the long term, raw, young kid who needed 3 years minimum.

Its water under the bridge now though, and I think its a good point that with MW's skill set he can be a great player. He solid all around.

Side note: Has anyone noticed that they seem to be paying Bob Neal to pump up the hype on Marvin. Every time Marvin pulls down even the most boring of rebounds you'd think he'd just dunked on Shaq. Bob Neal is like 'look at Marvin Williams get up for that rebound! This kid is some kind of talent'. Its really hilarious.

Bob Neal says that because it is true.

You are also wrong about Josh being ahead of him at this point last year. This time last year, Josh Smith was getting DNP Coaches Decisions. He didn't start getting a lot of playing time till after Antoine Walker was dealt.

• Premium Member

That's a lot of hoping Chillz.

I think that We're better off saying that we'll wait and see than to try to predict Marvin. Because every thing I have seen says to me.. We wasted a good pick.

Marvin would be OK as a 16 pick in the draft.. But not a #2 overall.

Top 5, you're hoping for either a guy who can be a franchise player or a guy who can be an immediate help. Marvin is neither.

Quote:

Top 5, you're hoping for either a guy who can be a franchise player or a guy who can be an immediate help. Marvin is neither.

Believe me, I wanted a point guard as much of the next guy, but what you're saying is disingenious.

What you should say is this:

"Top 5, you're hoping for either a guy who can be a franchise player or a guy who can be an immediate help. Marvin is not yet the former, and certainly not the latter."

The Hawks are rebuilding. They didn't pick Marvin to come in and lead this team to a Championship this year. He was pick in line with the rebuilding process and in a year or two he would come into his own and help this team reach and go deep into the playoffs. Granted, Paul came in more NBA, but he was put into a whole different position. He came in on draft day as the starting pg. If Marvin was thrown out there from day one as the starter and the team used him as a primary scoring option his numbers would be better for all of the stats people. It's just like a blockbuster trade we have to give it a year or two to see who got the better of the trade.

• Premium Member

I didn't think that they picked Marvin to come in and lead this team to a championship this year.

BUT I thought that the plan was for him to be an important piece to us getting to a Championship at some point.

Now, BK comes out and says "in his prime, I think Marvin will be a 15-20 ppg player"..

Sorry Live and die.. but you don't use a #2 pick overall (the Highest pick this franchise has ever had) on a guy you expect to only produce 15-20 points at a position that is not a specialty position. That's BUNK and in my book that's a wasted Pick. Hell BK was better than a 15-20 point player in his prime... So what is he saying??

Quote:

Hell BK was better than a 15-20 point player in his prime... So what is he saying??

Probably what he always says: nothing of consequence.

• Premium Member

Uhm.. I looked at the Bobcats and I saw that Howard was off the board when Okafor was picked 2nd...

Now... Are you asking if the Magic regrets taking Howard over Okafor? The answer is NO. Howard has already shown that he will be part of basketball's elite. At this point last yr, Howard had shown that he would be part of Basketball's elite.

Marvin gets into the game and I don't see nothing.

• Moderators

Here's the rookie report on Josh Smith 27 games in last year (Jan. 7th). Tell me Marvin is doing as well. Not that it really matters in the grand scheme, but my point is that Marvin is turning into a bigger project than Smoove despite the hype, high pick, and year of college ball. (I'm still glad we picked him) Notice Smoove started 12 of the first 27 games.

Quote:

7. Josh Smith #5, SF, Atlanta Hawks

Stats: 27 G, 12 GS, 20.2 min, 7.3 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 1.6 BPG

Postives: Can absolutely jump through the roof. At just 6-9, Smith is blocking shots at an incredible rate, ranking 12th in the league in blocks per 48 minutes at 3.69. Andrei Kirilenko is the only other SF in this top 12. Smith cracked the starting lineup at the beginning of December and has put up satisfactory numbers ever since. Since his promotion, Smith has averaged 9.5 PPG, 6.2 RPG and 2.1 BPG, not too shabby for a 19-year old rookie.

Negatives: Ball control; has very little of it. Paul sat down for a recent Hawks’ game and had this to say: “Smith just dribbled the ball off his knee. Do you know how hard that is to do?” Just out of high school, he will have to adjust to stricter defenses.

Outlook: Should be starting for the rest of the season since right now he’s probably the third best player on this Hawks team. Too bad a handful of other players play his same position.

Rookie Rank: 8

My bad on the last post I was trying to do several things at once and post on another board didn't review it before sending...

Anyway...Marvin is not in the same situation as Paul and his game is developing slowing because he is not counted on to be a main focus on the team.

Once he has a full season under his belt and his game is integrated and especially if Al do decides to leave which is a good possibility and he is given a bigger role then we will see what he can do

Quote:

It's really bad to see:

Chris Paul putting up 17/12/9 with 5 steals and leading his team past the World Champions... (and N.O. is not that talented).. and Marvin can't even get past the 4 point mark.

But it's really good to see the Hawks winning some games. Thus, the sting is taken out of the wound left by passing on Paul. So, really, let's just relax and enjoy the wins while we have them smile.gif

Breathe deeply, close your eyes, and focus on what you have rather than what you do not.