• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The difference between Marvin and the others...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Before you start, this is not a slam or a criticism of Marvin... This is a criticism of our drafting policy last year.

It has been stated that the other 2 picks of past years were projects with this label..

Stromile Swift, Tyson Chandler, Jay Williams, Darko Milicic, Emeka Okafor and Marvin Williams.

But there's a fundamental difference between just about all of them and Marvin.

The difference Is...

MARVIN was taken to fill a position that we already had filled.

I think the only other player that some consider project from this list who fit that category is Darko.

When Vancouver (Billy Knight) picked Swift, Swift was picked because they needed a big.

Quote:

The Grizzlies are hoping Swift will be a nice complement to small forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim's scoring, plus the play-making of guards Mike Bibby and Michael Dickerson.

One down side is the Grizzlies have got even younger. Swift joins a lineup that includes Abdur-Rahim, 23, Bibby, 22, and Dickerson, 25. The oldest starter is center Bryant "Big Country" Reeves, 27.

Knight denied acquiring Swift opens the door to the Grizzlies trading Othella Harrington.

Chicago traded away Brand to make room for Chandler.

Jay Williams was definitely suppose to be the PG for the Bulls.

Okafor came to the Bobcats as their cornerstone piece.

Marvin and Darko are the only two who went to teams as projects and landed dead in the middle of a logjam.

The biggest difference is that the Pistons won a championship. They had championship quality players playing with and in front of Darko.

Atlanta has more holes than we can measure.

So the point is that we wasted an opportunity to make our team more complete by picking a project at #2 instead of a truly needed player.

Stromile Swift, Tyson Chandler, Darko Milicic are bums! Darko is worst of all because he is a bum with no talent!

Jay Williams, Emeka Okafor and Marvin Williams arent comparable Jay Williams was on route to stardom before he ruined his life in that motorcycle crash and Okafor is a player I would trad half our roster to get, he rebounds , blocks shots and plays D. Just because he is hurt doesnt make him a bum. Marvin hasnt even played a full season although I am less than impressed with him, I am not ready to star comparing him to the Danny Ferrys of the world.

But your right We have 4 Small Forwards at least 2 have to go and I recommend Harringto and Childress.

Quote:

Before you start, this is not a slam or a criticism of Marvin... This is a criticism of our drafting policy last year.

It has been stated that the other 2 picks of past years were projects with this label..

Stromile Swift, Tyson Chandler, Jay Williams, Darko Milicic, Emeka Okafor and Marvin Williams.

But there's a fundamental difference between just about all of them and Marvin.

The difference Is...

MARVIN was taken to fill a position that we already had filled.

I think the only other player that some consider project from this list who fit that category is Darko.

When Vancouver (Billy Knight) picked Swift, Swift was picked because they needed a big.

Quote:

The Grizzlies are hoping Swift will be a nice complement to small forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim's scoring, plus the play-making of guards Mike Bibby and Michael Dickerson.

One down side is the Grizzlies have got even younger. Swift joins a lineup that includes Abdur-Rahim, 23, Bibby, 22, and Dickerson, 25. The oldest starter is center Bryant "Big Country" Reeves, 27.

Knight denied acquiring Swift opens the door to the Grizzlies trading Othella Harrington.

Jay Williams was definitely suppose to be the PG for the Bulls.

Okafor came to the Bobcats as their cornerstone piece.

Marvin and Darko are the only two who went to teams as projects and landed dead in the middle of a logjam.

The biggest difference is that the Pistons won a championship. They had championship quality players playing with and in front of Darko.

Atlanta has more holes than we can measure.

So the point is that we wasted an opportunity to make our team more complete by picking a project at #2 instead of a truly needed player.

Diesel you are right. However this has been rehashed on this board a hundred different times this year.

What the hell is the point of posting this???? Diesel, youre the most pathitic repetitive loser, I've ever encountered. I know you've achieved some sense of fame by stubbornly repeating the same few things over and over no matter how many times you're proven wrong, but just give it up man. there's more to life than being hated by a basketball messageboard.

• Premium Member

Quote:

What the hell is the point of posting this???? Diesel, youre the most pathitic repetitive loser, I've ever encountered. I know you've achieved some sense of fame by stubbornly repeating the same few things over and over no matter how many times you're proven wrong, but just give it up man. there's more to life than being hated by a basketball messageboard.

Wow. Just wow.

My only beef with Diesel is that he uses lots of run-on sentences and comma splices.

He used to post a link to his blog with some drivel like "and ye shall find the truth at Diesel's blog". The blog was a logic vacuum, filled with half-baked conspiracy theories and horrendous sentence structure.

• Premium Member

Quote:

My only beef with Diesel is that he uses lots of run-on sentences and comma splices.

He used to post a link to his blog with some drivel like "and ye shall find the truth at Diesel's blog". The blog was a logic vacuum, filled with half-baked conspiracy theories and horrendous sentence structure.

cool.gif

gk_structure_pkg.jpg

Quote:

Quote:

Wow. Just wow.

This would have been a great post by deez had we not already heard it a 1000 times. I also agree we should have made a pick to fill a need, but at the same time, wont bash marvin and can see that he is a highly gifted player that will be a future all star.

I come to this post to see if anyone has heard any rumors as of late or to see what people thought of the way the Hawks played the night before since I can't watch them...Things like that. All I get though is the same people starting stupid ass threads that are the same thread they started last week and 8 times before that! Just cause you haven't posted an idea in 3 days doesnt mean we want to see it again. I get really tired of the random trades that people suggest...Who sits at home all day and thinks of impossible trades and posts them on a board? Wait, I can think of a few.

Quote:

yikes, and you think the Bulls are more wise in this sense?

We're stocked at the 2 - JJ, Salim, Childress at times, Donta

Overstocked at the 3 - obviously

We have some pieces at the 4 - Al, I think Zaza would be an awesome PF next to a legit center, smith and marvin are still both possibilities at the 4, Batista is a longshot but ya neva know - he's a rookie too

We're still under stocked at the 1 and 5. Getting a 5 can make our PF situation look very secure if it allows zaza to play some PF as well.

Is this the most efficient way to build a team, I don't think so, but it has some merit. We're building complete security in one area at a time without ditching someone we should be holding onto. Its better than tossing away a complete stud (brand) and gambling on an unknown (Chandler). We took Marvin, we are pretty damn sure we're set at the 3 for a long time. ASSUMING that we move forward and address each and every position in this manner, it will work. I think your concern is that BK will always be addressing the SAME position. That's some scary sh*t if true.

We have a load of talent at a few positions, that gives us insurance, and assurance that we have at least built SOMETHING. We get a full season to truly evaluate what we have in the forward dept. and to decide which pieces should stay for the long haul.

Again this assumes that BK is willing to trade at least a couple of Al, Smith, Childress and Marvin, in order to fill the other positions.

Quote:

I think saying "more balanced" is a better choice of words than "complete". If you look at our players as assets I don't think Marvin has lost any value, I think he still possesses the potential he always has had. If some combo of our current players is equal to a player on another team that balances out the Hawks, then we are on the right path.

If we had drafted Marvin and he had a horrible first season like Darko (the pro-Pistons perspective), or was subjugated to the end of the bench like Darko was (the anti-Pistons perspective), then we might have destroyed our new asset's value making the choice a terrible one. Marvin is still valuable to use as a player or for a trade, and I don't think he's lost any value in that sense. It doesn't show for that much in our record (honestly, neither does the acquisitions of JJ and Zaza), but when you look at our roster of mostly inexpensive, young, good character, flexible and talented players, we have a lot to work with.

My point is that it ain't doomsday...assuming BK uses what he has and balances it out.

It was very strange. JJ was way off and Peja was very hot.

However the Hawks played better on D. They were doubling the post quickly which seemed to take JO out of his game. They also got him in foul trouble.

Childress was money. He hardly missed a shot and made both of his 3s which was big.

Al missed a couple of free throws late with the Hawks up 1 which gave Indy a chance to win with 10 seconds left. Fortunately they missed.

they already had filled.

Stromile was drafted #2 because he was considered to be the best player available. Obviously Reef could have played PF (as he has done for most of his career) if Vancouver had wanted Miles. I don't think anyone else was being considered for one of the top 3 picks.

If Elton Brand doesn't equal having a position filled, I don't know what does. Krause thought that Chandler was going to be better than Brand. obviosuly, he was wrong. We will see if BK was wrong in his thought that Marvin will be the best player from last year's draft.

Jay Williams was definitely drafted to be the Bulls' PG of the future but he was also considered to be the consensus 2nd best pick in the draft. It was a no-brainer for them to take him. Still, he was nowhere near ready to be a starting NBA PG and when they drafted him, they KNEW he was going to need time to develop. His rookie year showed some flashes but he wasn't even a factor when looking at ROY. He was a project with a lot of upside.

Darko was obviously a project and DET already had Ben and Sheed.

Okafor was obviously not a project but he was also obviously one of the top 2 players in the draft. Who else was CHA going to take once ORL went with Howard?