• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tyrus Thomas the next K-Mart or Stromile?

Blunt91

I was talking to a co-worker who watches college basketball regularly and he said Tyrus Thomas is more like Stromile Swift than kenyon Martion(NBAdraft.net comparison). He further stated that if we picked Thomas we will continue to lose like we are now. The scary part is if Thomas is a Stromile Swift clone then it wouldn't be hard to think that Billy Knight would draft this guy. I haven't really watched the guy but for those of you who have what do you say?

• Moderators

I think he is fairl similar to Stromile Swift but that it may not be a good comparison at all. Swift has been limited by his heart and lack of basketball IQ. If Thomas's makeup is very different than Swift's, I think you can expect a very different career.

• Moderators

Quote:

The only thing Thomas and Stromile have in common is that they bothe went to LSU and they're both black. Other than that comparisons aren't even close. As a freshman Thomas has a higher BBall IQ than Swift now, and has played with more passion in one game than Swift has in the entirety of his career.

That and they are both raw power forwards who were considered stud athletes and shot blockers with work to do but a ton of upside coming out of college.

You seriously don't see any more resemblence between Thomas and Swift than you do between Thomas and Chris Jackson (who also went to LSU and is black)?

• Premium Member

KB, you were the biggest draft Swift promoter ever.... You didn't think he had BBIQ and Work Ethic coming out of LSU??

It's easy to be the hindsight guy. But I have been here long enough to know that you have loved every MS/Louisanna player to come down the line...

Bender, Swift, Dampiere, Torrance Bright, and now Thomas.

From that list... I don't think you can ever tell about Work ethic and basketball IQ. Especially if they are from LA or MS and KB is talking.

Put it like this. Tyrus Thomas is Stromile Swift with the effort of Big Ben Wallace. He's Stromile Swift if he actually tried.

If he is on the board, the Hawks should without question pick him. People keep looking at his size. I will be looking at his ability to rebound and help us out with our points in the paint defensively. I don't care if he can't score right now.

We don't need more offensive production, it's defense why we only have 25 wins.

I have a bad feeling about Thomas.

He seems athletic, but he isn't as good as Swift was in college, and I doubt he will be as good as Swift is in the pros.

I think he would be a solid backup power forward, he just doesn't seem to have the basketball IQ for anything else.

This guy isn't a JS clone. He plays great 1 on 1 D, plus he plays alot bigger than 6'9. This guy has passion something Aldridge lacks. If you didn't see Tyrus owned Lamarcus in the paint. Aldridge couldn't get a shot. This guy is gonna be a f/c in this league and be the best player out of this draft. BK is stupid if he doesn't take Thomas if available. This guy will be what Stro shoulda been and more and definately a better baller than Kenyon.

This draft and FAcy period BK HAS to draft for need. Another project is NOT our need.

You can't keep doing the same thing over and over.

Drafting TT would be a serious mistake. Now granted, had we already drafted a center and a PG in the past...he might be a really good gamble.