• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How many players will bad coaching cost us?

Wurider05

I look at all the players that we have lost and who are doing well in the playoffs. I mean honestly guys we have had some talent here in Atlanta. While we have helped other teams have win championships with ex hawks we haven't really improved that much. I mean even though we doubled our wins this year we should have more to show for the talent that we have had and traded away from here. I am a true fan but you have to get upset when you see guys who we all knew could play the game end up blossoming somewhere else while we remain cellar dwellars in the league. I know that I should be glad for what we have and I am but I just feel that we should have more to show for the talent that we have given up. We haven't had one established coach here in years (since Lenny). The coaches that we have had were unproven coached and had unproven systems and when the players that we didn't fit into there systems they got traded. If we would have gotten better coaching from the start we would be than we are now. We still don't know if Woody is the right fit.

a lot of that is the players fault...Woody is doing just fine too...

People have to understand that MOST professional coaches are good at what they do, some better than others. But a coach is going to make a team that was good just be terrible. He may make some bad calls at times but the type of players you have for a system and the combination of types of players fitting together make a huge difference.

Jason Terry is a complimentary player, not a main option. We didn't have main options. Diaw is a punk who although was asked by coaches, gms, teammates and even fans in the street to shoot more, refused to do so until he was moved. Is Big Dog even still playing? Abdul Rahim, see Jason Terry above. Nazr got more playing time and experience.

• Premium Member

I think System can make all the difference in the world.

Just ask Kobe.

Last year without Phil he was a 41% shooter.

This year with a system that he's comfortable with, he's MVP material.

• Premium Member

Well, Diaw was supposed to be "the man" in France right?

I mean we'd hear about him winning Eurochampionships and slam dunk contests...

Then he put on the Hawks Jersey...

1117033084.jpg

2 pts, 5 rebs, 3 assists in 31 minutes.

That doesn't change the fact that he is a punk who cried while he was here instead of doing what the coaching staff asked of him. Diaw tries so much harder now that he is on Pheonix - his effort level has at least doubled from the effort he displayed with Atlanta.

Guest Walter

vs the players getting better after leaving the Hawks.

The imbalance favoring getting better after leaving the Hawks should at least suggest something negative about either our personel decisions or recent coaching.

W

• Moderators

Every good player will seem better when they get on a good team. Big Dog did a good job for the Spurs in the playoffs last year.

Look at Rasheed. He was a great player in Portland but many fans considered him a hinderence. Hell, the whole Detroit team was not highly regarded at their previous stops.

When Nazr was here he played well in limited minutes, but when he did have the starting job he struggled.

JT was very good when he was here. In fact, I don't see where he's elevated his game (it was already good), he's just surrounded by good players.

I totally agree with your comment Diesel. It is like when guys put on a Hawks uniform they just underachieve. Why not let Boris be the type of player he wanted to be if it helped the team it was not like he was going to take 30 shots a game. I mean damn he plays within the team. Instead of looking what a player can't do a true coach would capitalize on what a player can do. You work with what you got you don't whine about we need this and we need that or he can't do this or he can't do that. Just make do with what you got a good coach can make it work some kind of way.

• Premium Member

That terroritory rides into coaching philosophy.

Some coaches do just that... let a player do what he wants to do.

However, other coaches are saying " You play my way or you don't play".

I don't have a problem with either philosophy... Especially if it works. Interestingly enough, I have seen both work and both fail misraebly.

So again, I think it comes down to LUCK...

Because LB's philosophy can work to a tee with Detroit and fail with Indiana.

Quote:

That terroritory rides into coaching philosophy.

Some coaches do just that... let a player do what he wants to do.

However, other coaches are saying " You play my way or you don't play".

Ummm, ok, but what the hell are you talking about. BK decided to sit Delk. Woody as a coach, just wants to win and would have played Delk. BK didn't want to play him because he wanted the young guns to get more experience. The only time when it didn't really make sense was right before Delk was cut but oh well

• Premium Member

You need to read the thread more closely.

In this portion of the thread, we were talking about Diaw and why Woody didn't play him more and then he went to Phoenix and blew up under D'Antoni.

However, if you want to talk about Delk, it's very simple. Delk was held out because BK wanted him held out. I think it had very little to do with looking at our young players because when Lue and Salim were injured, Woody sounded like he wanted to play Delk and he should have.