Dukegotgame

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Well....they're still playing. I doubt the people on their board are counting the days to the lottery.

Give it a week. Well...they won't be lottery watching because they do no have a lottery pick.

Unfortunately Pheonix got the better of this deal. Two 1st rounders and Diaw was too much for even the great JJ. Don't get me wrong I like acquiring JJ, he is a stud, but we didn't have to give up that much to do a S&T.

Also, the Hawks organization gave up too soon on Diaw. We all saw potential and you don't give up on potential that early. He was drafted in 2003. Give the man at least 3 years before you give up on him. Most players take 3 years before they start to reach their potential anyway. That is why I laugh when people are already putting Marvin in trade talks.....foolish talk. The man hasn't even played a year and people are talking about trading him.

You will be even more sorry trading Marvin than trading Diaw!!! Talk about not sleeping at night....go ahead an trade Marvin. We will be having nightmares!!

• Moderators

Quote:

You guys don't get it.....

Diaw played like crap in Atlanta because of the COACH!!!!

Plan and simple and nothing else!! Diaw is very talented!! Not as talented as JJ but very talented!!

Don't you guys remember Coach Woodson telling Diaw to pass on layups and short jumpers? Remember him jumping on the court and waving his hands in front of Diaw's face when he was shooting free throws?

Seriously, the key issue in assessing Woodson's fault in failing to get the most out of Diaw in Atlanta (IMO) is looking at whether Diaw would ever have been successful as a PG-SF player and whether any team other than Phoenix would have made him their starting Center or Power Forward. IMO, a significant part of his success is due to him being mismatched against bigger players who can't match his skillset. On the flip side, he is part of the reason that Phoenix is critically overmatched in the post (along with injuries to Stoudamire and Thomas).

Anyway, the trade has been talked to death but I think the only thing I would have changed would have been providing greater protection to the 2007 pick beyond top 3. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with including Diaw (who I don't think would have been a success as a 1-3 in Atlanta and who I don't think Woodson or the vast majority of NBA coaches would ever play at PF/C) or the Bos/LA pick. The bottomline is that JJ is so good for this team that the deal would be well worth it as long as we don't give up a chance at a star in the draft next year.

Quote:

...Anyway, the trade has been talked to death but I think the only thing I would have changed would have been providing greater protection to the 2007 pick beyond top 3...

Agree AHF...can you imagine if we end up in the same situation record-wise as we were in this year...battling it out for the 3rd or 4th worst record in the league? If that happens we'll see some SERIOUS tanking. smirk.gif

Nobody said anything about changing coaches. I am simply telling you why Diaw didn't succeed in Atlanta. BK knew he had skills and huge potential. I will never forget when Diaw first came here, Theo Ratliffe and Abdur emphatically said that Diaw will be very special after a few years and the kid can really play.

Hell didn't you see Kobe Bryant in his last press conference say Boris Diaw can flatout ball. He is an excellent player.

Diaw has always gotten praise from everyone except one person and that person is Woodson. Now you tell me why he wasn't successful in Atlanta!!

This particular coach couldn't get the best out of Diaw....plan and simple.

And don't give me the Stotts BS about he couldn't even get him to play. Diaw was a rookie who couldn't barely speak English under Stotts and Diaw played like a typically rookie would play which wasn't bad.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

...Anyway, the trade has been talked to death but I think the only thing I would have changed would have been providing greater protection to the 2007 pick beyond top 3...

Agree AHF...can you imagine if we end up in the same situation record-wise as we were in this year...battling it out for the 3rd or 4th worst record in the league? If that happens we'll see some SERIOUS tanking. smirk.gif

"Joe Johnson has played an unreal amount of minutes this season and he has been suffering from chronic fatigue/back problems/etc. We are going to rest him until we feel he can return 100%. As for the Josh Smith and Marvin Williams, we have sent them on special assignment to perfect a slam dunk routine for next year's All-Star game. We are confident the league will want both to participate next year after seeing this routine. Really, this is public service to the NBA and the community and the Hawks have a special commitment to this special event after having three previous champions - more than any other organization.

With this in mind, we have been inspired by Diaw's success at PF/C and will be playing Donta Smith at C the rest of the season to see if he can fill a similar need for our squad as Diaw has in Phoenix. With a frontcourt of D.Smith, Batista and Bargnani and a backcourt of Salim and Childress we will see what our young players have down the stretch. Note that we are also concerned about Salim's shoulder and if he starts hitting too many shots we may be forced to rest him on the bench or prohibit him from shooting in order to develop his ball-handling and playmaking skills.

Rise up Atlanta!"

Quote:

Remember him jumping on the court and waving his hands in front of Diaw's face when he was shooting free throws?

I don't even know where this is coming from. Diaw's FT%:

03-04 .602

04-05 .740

05-06 .731

IS IT A COINCIDENCE THAT HE SUDDENLY SHOT MUCH BETTER FT'S WHEN WOODY CAME ABOARD? I THINK NOT!! IT WAS ALL WOODY BABY!

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Remember him jumping on the court and waving his hands in front of Diaw's face when he was shooting free throws?

I don't even know where this is coming from. Diaw's FT%:

03-04 .602

04-05 .740

05-06 .731

IS IT A COINCIDENCE THAT HE SUDDENLY SHOT MUCH BETTER FT'S WHEN WOODY CAME ABOARD? I THINK NOT!! IT WAS ALL WOODY BABY!

See - Woody was developing him just like I said! (Actually, that came from the previous post noting his much higher FT shooting in Phoenix which I assumed to be true for purposes of my post but which doesn't really matter for the main point of my post. Nevertheless, I totally concede I screwed that one up!)

My prediction is that he will be a solid player with a big contract, and thus a franchise disappointment.

Here's the scenario. Next season he gets significantly less minutes, but continues to play well. Some fool team will offer a gigantic contract, and Diaw won't be able to deliver.

• Premium Member

If it were the coach and the coach alone, then there would be other good players here playing like crap??

Why is it though that JJ, Al, Zaza, and even Lue seems to be playing Better under Woody??

Well Woodson's evaluation year is next year. He should have all the pieces for a playoff contending team. So we will truly see how well Woodson can coach.

However, I will always say giving up on Diaw after 2 years was a mistake. You have to at least give a potentially good player 3 to 4 years to truly see what they can do. Especially if you know that player has potential which the Hawks organization knew he had.

I bet they could have gotten JJ with 2 1st round picks and the MLE.

Quote:

Well Woodson's evaluation year is next year. He should have all the pieces for a playoff contending team...

I dunnoo eme...I mean I hope he does but as of now he has the same guys as this year plus he will almost certainly lose Al. No guarrantee draft pick will have any impact and with the ownership mess we may not be strong players in the FA market.

IF he has all the pieces next year BK will have done a good job.