• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

More Iverson talk.. catch this...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Rumors continue to circulate that Iverson -- who reportedly would not be opposed to a trade -- could be headed to Atlanta, one of his favorite offseason spots, Denver, Minnesota or any place in between.

Atlanta may be the most likely destination since at least a portion of Hawks ownership apparently wants Iverson (did someone say ticket sales?).

The Hawks also have salary cap flexibility. They're projected to be about $20 million below the cap for 2006-07, meaning they don't have to match the money up. They could trade a young player (maybe Josh Smith) and say a draft pick for Iverson, despite the fact that Iverson will make $18 million next season.

• Premium Member

I was unaware that a portion of our ownership wants Iverson.. however, it's the right thing to do.

Forget Development. Go for the gold and the guys will develop on their own.

Like i have said before, I would push for both Iverson and Dally...

It might be something like:

Al/Lue/#5/JChillz for Sammy/Al.

What we gain is a defensive C to go with our offensive C.

And the most marketable player in the game.

• Admin

Quote:

I was unaware that a portion of our ownership wants Iverson..

I'm sure they are as well.

Quote:

however, it's the right thing to do.

No it's not..

Quote:

Forget Development. Go for the gold and the guys will develop on their own.

That roster would be bronze or silver at best. Gold would not be in their future. Fortunately none of the outspoken owners have shown an interest in only selling tickets.

Quote:

That's just horrible. We could get one of the highest paid players in the game, who is actually almost worth his money. And then one of the leagues best examples of guys who are paid more than their talent deserves. Dalembert is a half trick pony. He rebounds and blocks shots. But he's not a great defender.

But to be honest. If it had to happen, that's the package I would use. I would not package Marvin, Childress or Zaza in order to get this done.

• Moderators

Quote:

That's just horrible. We could get one of the highest paid players in the game, who is actually almost worth his money. And then one of the leagues best examples of guys who are paid more than their talent deserves. Dalembert is a half trick pony. He rebounds and blocks shots. But he's not a great defender.

But to be honest. If it had to happen, that's the package I would use. I would not package Marvin, Childress or Zaza in order to get this done.

Deisel is proposing to package Childress and the #5 pick along with Al and Lue.

This is why Deisel isn't a GM and has no business talking about basketball. Every trade he has ever come up with has done nothing but completely wreck the Hawks future due to the salary constraints that are placed upon the team. Basically, he thinks like Isiah Thomas, and well, you know what that makes him. Pretty much, a mindless bafoon.

I'm still skeptical. I remember some of the other "stars" that Babcock brought in: Moses, Big Dog, Dikembe, Theo, and Shareef. And just how did they do? Did any of them live up to what we hoped? So, I'm not so keen on AI. There is a reason he's available. So please don't give up much to get him and be ready to dump him.

Quote:

I'm still skeptical. I remember some of the other "stars" that Babcock brought in: Moses, Big Dog, Dikembe, Theo, and Shareef. And just how did they do? Did any of them live up to what we hoped? So, I'm not so keen on AI. There is a reason he's available. So please don't give up much to get him and be ready to dump him.

Hm, I don't know much about the Moses era. Still, Dikembe didn't really underperform, and Robinson/Ratliff/Reef aren't really stars on the level of AI. There's not really a comparison to make.

Deke was a good pickup, but I still agree with Yeti's post. An AI move, would be a nice splash on the newspapers and on Sportscenter, but he doesn't fit with what we have so far, and would only make us a little better short term, and make us worse in the long run.

I'll pass.

Quote:

Think about some other teams that have made trades of this proportion...The heat with Shaq is working out well...the Pistons with Rasheed also.

Horrible comparisons. Shaq has won everywhere he has been. Philly has only made some noise one year with Iverson, and that is when they had a team around him of defensive role players.

There is no way to legitimately compare one of the most dominant big men in league history to a 6' shooting guard who is one of the biggest ball hogs in history and who is a weak defender.

The Rasheed comparison is a joke also since Detroit was already a good team before they got him. Plus he was an expirer so they could see how he fit in with the team before the offered him a long term deal.

• Premium Member

I'm amazed that you can get your head out of Marvin's ass long enough to make a reply.

Moreover.. The move takes into consideration that without a Draft pick this year or next year that we need a defensive big...

What's your answer there.. Some great 2nd round pick will be our defensive big that we have needed since BK came in?

Come on KB... Stop using BK's brain to think with and think for yourself...

If we spend the #5 pick on Iverson...

#1, we will not have enough money to bring in a quality Big.

#2, we will not have sufficient defense to make a difference.

Say what you want about Dalembert, he plays defense and he and Smoove could be a good defensive combo.

Where else do you see it coming from? THE SKY???

sm-LOL.gif

It makes me laugh when I read posts that say bringing Iverson is going to stunt our long term growth. Long term growth? How bout long-term embarrassment. We've won 39 games the last two seasons! Bringing in Iverson gives us instant credibility. Everyone knows he will put butts in the seats and play hard every night. Who cares about what is going to happen three years down the road? No one knows!! All I do know is that the Hawks are awful right now. It's amazing to read that some of you would not want to make your team better right now. I for one am sick of this pathetic display of basketball, and when you have a superstar like Allen Iverson available, you have to try something. It's common sense. And no, you can't compare Shareef, Theo, Big Dog as all-star busts...not one of them can even be compared to Iverson.

Quote:

This is why Deisel isn't a GM and has no business talking about basketball. Every trade he has ever come up with has done nothing but completely wreck the Hawks future due to the salary constraints that are placed upon the team. Basically, he thinks like Isiah Thomas, and well, you know what that makes him. Pretty much, a mindless bafoon.

Dang man. You sould just like the dumb@ss GM telling people they have no business talking about basketball. crazy.gif

Quote:

Horrible comparisons. Shaq has won everywhere he has been. Philly has only made some noise one year with Iverson, and that is when they had a team around him of defensive role players.

There is no way to legitimately compare one of the most dominant big men in league history to a 6' shooting guard who is one of the biggest ball hogs in history and who is a weak defender.

The Rasheed comparison is a joke also since Detroit was already a good team before they got him. Plus he was an expirer so they could see how he fit in with the team before the offered him a long term deal.

I agree with both points. Shaq is in a class by himself, and Rasheed was never asked to come in and be a saviour like AI would be expected to do.

Iverson was sitting at home watching the playoffs this year just like the Hawks. The reason for that is that their defense sucked, and he was a big reason for that. He has never been a good man defender and doesn't pressure the ball at all.

The Hawks big weakness last year was their interior D, and Iverson won't help that at all. In fact he would prevent the Hawks from persuing free agent bigs because his contract is so big.

It is funny how people automatically assume AI would make us a playoff team when his team is in the lottery after he had a career year.

• Admin

while everyone seems to think that Iverson is ready to be more of a team player and point to his assists as proof of this. few people care to point out that he's playing next to one of the hottest up and coming players in the league in Iguodala. A guy whose stats haven't budged in two seasons, both as a starter.

You'd think that if he were so much more interested in the team concept he'd go out of his way to share the ball with the 2nd best player on his team.