• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's With the Trade Childress Talk?

BusBoyIsBack

Childress had a ridiculous field goal percentage last year, especially after we stopped trying to change his shot. He finished with a whopping .552 for the year. He's over .500 for his career.

I thought it was interesting that NBADraft.net compares him to Reggie Miller on his Draft Bio. Although, he may not be the shooter than Reggie is, he's definitely more athletic. That's the thing about CHildress that I don't like. He is kind of timid with that athleticism. He may not be as athletic as Smoove or Marvin, but he does show some explosion on fast breaks and on drives to the basket every now and then.

The point is, there is nothing wrong with Childress. I think BK seems him as a 2 guard and he definitely shoots the ball well enough to be one.

Speaking of Childress running the 2, I don't know why some people think JOe JOhnson should be our 2 guard. He was in a category with AI, Wade, and Lebron in points, steals, and assists. Clearly, he wasn't holding us back.

Of course there is nothing wrong with Chill. We don't want to give him up. If were to in order to get LaMarcus Aldridge. Then you do it. Hawks need depth at the PF/C position. They have plenty of depth at the wings. Chill bring the most value back. Smoove and Marvin are going nowhere. Therefore Chill is the oddman out.

I hate his jumpshot. smile.gif I love so much about his game, but his outside shot, while very accurate, takes an eternity to get off, and looks awkward.

But like HawksChSmMa said, the trade Chill talk is more due to Marv, Smith, and JJ being pretty etched in stone at the 3,4, & 2 spots. Alot of people think we have too many needs to afford the luxury of Chill as our sixth man.

I don't hate his jumpshot because it goes in. It will limit his game though. He needs to be wide open to get it off, which happens a couple times a game. He really can only improve as a scorer by taking his man off the dribble, or perhaps developing some post moves. I like Chill, but if someone has to go, it is him.

Quote:

I don't hate his jumpshot because it goes in.

thats how i see it. REGGIE MILLER is the perfect example of how you should NEVER JUDGE a player's shooting motion. As long as it goes in- thats the bottom line.

I like Chill a lot. He has a high basketball IQ, doesnt do anything hes INCAPABLE of doing, has great shot selection (which translates to his high fg%), and can provide talent/hustle off the bench for any team in the NBA.

the reason why we pick on him is b/c he has the most trade value. if we want to trade BATISTA, we're not going to get much in return.

if we can address another need (PG/C) by trading Childress, im down. but theres no need to trade for the SAKE of trading.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Chill bring the most value back.

I understand why you say this (below),

Quote:

Smoove and Marvin are going nowhere. Therefore Chill is the oddman out.

...but the facts are that MW would bring the most value back while costing us the least value (positional redundancy).

W

Marvin has the most trade value but he also has the most potential upside. Therefore if it came down to trading either one of them I would think Chillz would be the one to go since it looks like he's just going to be a great 6th man / role player like Shane Battier.

There were experts that thought Marvin could potentially be a better player long term than Carmelo Anthony, and while that is still to be determined IMO it is much to too soon to trade Marvin. I wouldn't want the same thing that happened when Diaw left and became a star to happen to us again with Marvin.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Marvin is going nowhere. Chill has the most value of the 3.

I agree if you insist that MW will not be traded, he cannot have the most value. However, I-F MW can be traded (and he CAN), he has significantly more value. Also, regardless, Al has more value than Chill and Al can be traded.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Marvin...also has the most potential upside.

But not more potential upside than JS who plays the same position or if so he's NEVER demonstrated it statistically.

Chill is extremely valuable as a 6th man playing the 2 and 3. He's more valuable to us than MW as a BU 3. I agree that MW is a better prospect than Childress and everyone's so defensive about MW that I have to phrase this carefully:

Marvin Williams is the player who by trading we most help the team (high value) and least hurt it (positional redundancy and less potential than Josh Smith).

Quote:

Therefore if it came down to trading either one of them I would think Chillz would be the one to go since it looks like he's just going to be a great 6th man / role player like Shane Battier.

So expect a role player in return. Trade MW and expect an equal prospect at antoher position (alah Livingston)

Quote:

There were experts that thought Marvin could potentially be a better player long term than Carmelo Anthony.

Fire them now.

MW will not have Diaw's fate until after several years of backing up JS, forcing JS out of position and thus hurting his ability to reach his potential, or playing out of position himself. Then we'll trade him (or JS) for less than his #2 status would indicate is his worth.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

I think Smoove has more value than both, but I don't think there is a person here (myself included) who wants to even consider trading him.

Trade the most valuable, redundant asset, the player that most helps the team and least hurts the team by trading him. While JS and MW are both Sfs, JS is not the most redudant asset as he has been consistently 25% better than MW and appears to have that something special above being just a decent player.

W

• Premium Member

If MW could get us any of the following:

1. Livingston.

2. Devin Harris.

3. Omeka Okafor.

4. Dwight Howard (that's just a wish.. not serious).

5. Swift + #10.

6. Bosh

7. Villanueva

8. Frye + #20.

9. #4 + Jack.

10. Brad Miller + #19.

11. Ben Gordon + #16.

Quote:

I think Smoove has more value than both, but I don't think there is a person here (myself included) who wants to even consider trading him.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and tell you I would consider trading him. Unlike most of the people on this forum, I don't think Smoove is going to be our PF. What I saw of him late last season makes me think Smoove is trying to establish himself as a SF, and really doesn't desire playing as a 4.

Quote:

Well, when JJ, Smoove, and Marvin start playing the entire game and never get ill or injured THEN I'd be willing to trade Chill. We do need a bench. That combo could be a hell of a rotation.

My point exactly every good team has a great 6th man. JChill is a great player and people on this board are foolish for wanting to trade him b/c he has value.

• Premium Member

Yep.

There are too many here who want the fantasy to be real that Smoove is Pf... Smoove doesn't play like a PF and he has developed his Sf play.

I wouldn't trade Smoove simply because I don't think MW will ever be better than Smoove. But neither guy is a PF.