• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Foster will not help our team

timdawg777

I am having a hard time understanding why you guys want Foster on our team. I have watched him play, and haven't found anything to be impressed with. I hope its not just about his contract size. I am at a point where I really want this Al trade to improve our team, and I don't think that Foster would be the answer. I don't know that much about Magloire, but isn't older, and his contract is about up, so I am not seeing how he is going to benefit us in the long term.

Hes the best choice that we can get.. if Indiana offer us Harrison.. i would be fine with it... Foster just need 2 start to improve.. give him sometime then he be alrite.. Jaamal is overrated.. I dont trust him. hes not worth it.. hes gettin old.. and hes not a long term for this team.. Just give me a 1st round 2007 unprotected/Cash/Foster.. then i be fine with it.. Draft a Center next year...

What some people don't seem to understand is that the defensive end would be more beneficial to us than anything else. We have guys who can score. If we trade AL and get Foster, we would have depth and rebounding with the addition of Shelden (not my favorite-but I support him), this is necessary. Hawksquawkers have proven more knowledgeable about what Foster brings than not. That is a first on the squawk!

This came off of RealGM board:

Dallas is lookint to trade for Anthony Johnson as backup to Terry. The rumor had a swap with Armstrong, who may retire but the talk is that they include Podkolzine. He could then be included in the Al trade. He's huge and a 21 yr old BK wants.

Talk on the Dallas board is divided. Some think he's a stiff, but others see him coming around. Did well in summer league and Dallas is gonna have to part with someone because they don't have enough slots open.

Probably a pipe dream, but at least a new rumor since there hasn't been anything in a while.

• Moderators

Quote:

The rumor had a swap with Armstrong, who may retire but the talk is that they include Podkolzine. He could then be included in the Al trade. He's huge and a 21 yr old BK wants.

If you remember what Bill Walton said about the guy you'd think he is the next coming of Hakeem. smirk.gif

You haven't watched him play much, have you?

Jeff Foster is one of the better rebounders in the NBA. He had one of the highest rebounding rates in the league this past season. He's a player that comes off the bench, gets around 25 minutes a game, and still almost gets double figures in rebounds per game. He's also a good positional defender in the post.

Oh, I see. He's not a flashy athlete, so he won't help us.

If Foster is not in the deal, makes me wonder if talks with David Andersen are productive?

If you look at what we will lose with Al and his production and what we have added: Speedy, Shelden and Solomon we certainly don't come out way ahead. Agreed that the young guys will pick up some slack, but you have to think we still need another addition, or two.

The great think to BK's credit, is that we will pretty well have our team set for the next few years with young talent and reasonable contracts.

All I can say is when I see Foster play against us, he makes a positive impression. He hustles his ass off every play and quite honestly, gives us fits. Now many teams give us fits because we're not that good yet; however, you can't deny his aggression and productivity on the defensive end and rebounding. We would win more games with him and you can take that to the bank.

I think the combination of Marvin Williams and Josh Smith will more than offset the the offensive production Al Harrington gave the team. I believe they will also be more efficient offensively than Al was, and with these two, the ball movement offensively will not come to a halt.

At first I was thinking "JEFF FOSTER?!?!?!?!? you've got to be kidding me" but the more and more I think about it I don't think it would be half bad starting or coming off the bench he knows both roles well. He definetly helps as far as rebounding his concerned especially defensively and like whoever mentioned it before me he does give a lot of effort no matter what he hustles his butt off and I believe in every game that the Hawks played against Indy last year he was a major factor for both teams...I mean don't get me wrong I don't think that Jeff Foster is the end all here I don't think he himself is gonna get the Hawks into playoff contention but at the same time who actually is thinks thats what he should do?? I mean he is nothing more than a role player and always has been always will be...getting him would AT LEAST help with the depth issue at the 5 position

I can completely understand the logic that a player who brings scoring won't help us. For example, AI would just eat up shot attempts, albeit at a lower percentage. However, the logic that extra rebounding won't help us is ABSURD. You can always use more rebounding and defense.

It's hard for me to believe you've watched Foster play, given that you say he can't help us. If Zaza could board like Foster, I would project him as a perennial all-star.

Foster has logged over 20 rebounds in a game before. The only reason he doesn't do it more often is that Indiana has JO to eat up 40 mpg at PF and David Harrison to develop at center. They are a better team with Foster on the floor, however.

As the starting center in 17 games last year, Foster averaged:

MPG FG% RPG PPG

26.8 57.5 10.5 7.5

No Foster doesn't block a whole lot of shots, and he doesn't score a lot. What he does do is bring intensity, high percentage garbage baskets, and a butt-load of rebounds.

I have wanted to acquire Foster for this team for over 5 years, just like I wanted Bo Outlaw many years ago. Now we are talking about him and folks are saying he won't help us?

Agree 100%. I would love to have Foster on this team. Sure he doesn't have alot of talent, but he maximizes what he does have. He is the epitome of a "hustle player." He does not get outworked. He is very seldom out of position and fundamentally sound.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Its addition by subtraction. Moving Al opens up things for other players such as Smith, Chill and Marvin to step up and become more focus points of the offence.

additions. Trading Al can only remotely be seen as add by subtract because our recent draft history has created such a glut at forward. Had we drafted elsewhere in many cases, keeping Al would be a no brainer and I believe the team overall better.

W