• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who Will Emerge as the 2nd Option On Offense?

BusBoyIsBack

With Al Harrington's 19 PPG all but gone from this team, who will fill the shoes as the guy who takes pressure off of Joe Johnson by being the 2nd threat offensively?

Will it be Josh Smith our high flying phenom? Will it be Speedy Claxton our uptempo PG? Or could it be a more than pleasant surprise and be the guy replacing Al's position at PF in the lunchpail rookie out of Duke University?

Who do you see emerging as the complimentary option to Joe Johnson?

Loosing Al's scoring may hurt, but in this situation I beleive trading Al(Even for as little as the rumor has it)may be addition by subtraction. Al has a tendency to force things on the offensive end, causing a bunch of turnovers for the Hawks.

There is no doubt that the 4 players around Joe Johnson will have to step their game up a bit, but maybe having a mix of guys taking good shots and not forcing things is better than one talented post player who does force things.

It will be up to Speedy, Smoove, and Marvin to score the ball more. But if they don't force things, I think We'll be fine.

...That's in half court sets. This year, we should be on the break alot.

Expect alot of energy on the defensive end with Al gone. Forcing other team to turn the ball over, and helping our wing players score on the break.

I'm guessing Marvin will average around 16ppg, Smoove around 15ppg ,and Speedy, ZaZa and Chillz around 12ppg. I'm sure we'll also have games where Salim and even Lue are our leading scorer for a game. So I see us as a balanced team with one leader as opposed to last year where we had two main shooters and lotsa role players. I'll be happy with 7ppg and 6rpg on 22mpg outta Shelden. Even with all his college experience, he'll have to earn his way in the NBA.

In the long run, it will be Marvin Williams. I don't know that Woody will put him in that role at the start of the season though. I think the offense will run through Joe Johnson, and the secondary options at this point are likely Speedy Claxton and Zaza Pachulia.

It all depends upon whether or not they decide to take the schackles off his game at the start of the season. They told him the summer team was "his" team, and he flat out dominated. It will be interesting to see if they give him the opportunity to take that secondary role to Joe Johnson this year.

I would like nothing more than that KB. I think he CAN do it. One of the advantages of Harrington not being around is that there wouldn't be any deference left unless it's to Joe. I think it'll probably be Johnson, Smith and Williams. (Marv is my favorite player though).

Guest Walter

Everybody seems to discount Josh Smith with Speedy helping to run the show. Josh is really going to step it up this year. Perhaps not your prototypical 2nd option, but I see him in that role.

W

it's gotta be marv. he's the most natural and gifted scorer besides jj. although speedy or smoove can drop 20 on any given night. i just think marv has too many offensive weapons to be stopped- given the shackles have been completely removed. he just has to stay outta foul trouble!

• Premium Member

Quote:

JJ = 23ppg | 4rpg | 4apg

JS = 16ppg | 8rpg | 4apg | 3bpg

MW = 14ppg | 7rpg | 2apg

SC = 10ppg | 2rpg | 6apg

JC = 10ppg | 5rpg

ZP = 8ppg | 9rpg

SS = 7ppg

SW = 6ppg | 6rpg | 1bpg

TL = 6ppg | 2apg

At least, that's what I figure...

I think that Salim averages double figures & so does Zaza

Quote:

Everybody seems to discount Josh Smith with Speedy helping to run the show. Josh is really going to step it up this year. Perhaps not your prototypical 2nd option, but I see him in that role.

W

If Smoove is our second option than we are [censored]!!

This would be his fg attemts every game:

5-20

7-25

3-15

8-19

He would shoot more than SLim would trust me.

LOL . . Smoove bet not EVER take 25 shots in a game, if he's missing like that.

I think the 2nd option on this team, will be whomever has the hot hand. Until somebody steps up and proves that they can consistently hit big shots when called upon, the 2nd option will be the guy who is "on fire" at the time.

If Marvin can get to the line at 75% of the rate he got to the line during Summer League, then he would have to be the candidate for 2nd option. Even if you're not hitting shots, you can score points if you can draw fouls. If Marvin is the best guy who can do that, he'll be the #2 option.

As far as Speedy being the #2 option . . . NO CHANCE. One of the things that most of you will find out about Speedy, is that he doesn't have the best jumper in the world. Lue is a far better shooter than Speedy and Salim is a better jumpshooter as well.

Speedy can get to the hole though, which is an asset for us when the outside shots aren't falling.

Quote:

In the long run, it will be Marvin Williams. I don't know that Woody will put him in that role at the start of the season though. I think the offense will run through Joe Johnson, and the secondary options at this point are likely Speedy Claxton and Zaza Pachulia.

We finally agree on something.