• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove VS Marvin (((( The Video Thread))))

pimp

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda asinine to say Marvin is or isn't athletic enough. He's plenty athletic. Smoove is more explosive and has the hops that Marvin doesn't. However, Marvin can do more things as a basketball player due to things like mechanics and basketball IQ. We're blessed to have them both.

smoove has the edge with athleticism- especially hops; marv has the edge with skills- especially handles. both are constanly adding to their game and that's what matters to me. i'm partial to smoove cuz he's lefty but i luv 'em both (not in a lance bass kinda way).

defensively 100% of those blocked shots, while visually spectacular were on plays that either Smoove or another Hawk had been beaten to the basket on.

if Smoove is going to play PF on this team he'll need to be blocking shots while he had the opposing players' shoulder in his chest. he hasn't shown that to date.

• Moderators

There's just no comparing the leaping ability and dunks of Smoove with anyone in the league. It doesn't make Marvin unathletic though. They complement each other well I think.

Truth is that teams don't want to have to play D against a team of JJ,Smoove,Marvin, Chill. It is like BK envisions. They can shoot over guards, drive around 4s and 5s and dunk on everybody. If they can figure out how to stop the other team then we've got something.

You don't have to convince me. I'm not saying Marvin is not athletic enough, or that Smoove is better because his head is always in danger from hitting the rim.

Smoove is just a freak. It's not an insult to say that Marvin can't do some of the things Smoove does. He might be the only player in the league that does them.

In all the predraft combine stuff, Josh Smith tested out with a higher vertical, 39" to 35". Marvin Williams tested out with a quicker lane agility time and faster three quarter court sprint. Marvin's lane agility time was around 11.18 compared to Josh's 11.44, I believe. I'd have to look those numbers back up. Marvin had a better lane agility time than all of the point guards in that draft except Raymond Felton.

No one is saying than Mwilliams is not athletic!!

He is not like Doug Edwards or someone like that. wink.gif

It was just that in another thread some people were saying that Marvin = Josh in athletic abilty.I jost dont see it.

Quote:

You don't have to convince me. I'm not saying Marvin is not athletic enough, or that Smoove is better because his head is always in danger from hitting the rim.

Smoove is just a freak. It's not an insult to say that Marvin can't do some of the things Smoove does. He might be the only player in the league that does them.

Marvin and Smoove bring different things to the table at this point in their careers.

i don't know if Marvin will ever be as explosive around the rim as Smoove. Marvin doesn't seem to have the killer instinct and highlight reel mentality Smoove has. if Smoove would play the game as smart or smarter than Marvin he'd be an All-star in 2 years. if Marvin takes a page from Smoove's book and becomes aggressive ala the SL we may have 3 All-stars in 3 years.

Quote:

No one is saying than Mwilliams is not athletic!!

He is not like Doug Edwards or someone like that.
wink.gif

It was just that in another thread some people were saying that Marvin = Josh in athletic abilty.I jost dont see it.

people just want to feel good about the team so they want to validate Marvin by saying he's as good if not better than Smoove, who is already an accepted player and not a lightning rod for discussion on this site.

• Admin

since we're still talking about this. what exactly do you people call athleticism? jumping ability? Quickness? Speed? A combination of all those things?

It seems to me that everyone who is saying "yep, Josh is more athletic" are looking at some flashy dunks as if that is one of the traits that make up athleticism.

The numbers from the combine are pretty definitive and they say that while smooth has a slight better vertical, Marvin has much better quickness and agility. If you correctly label athleticism as a combination of all the above traits, then they are about dead even.

I'd have to disagree Pimp. During Josh's rookie season at the beginning he was eerily similar to Marvin. He hesitated a lot (he was called numerous times for traveling), and while he dunked for almost 80% of his points(just a guess statisticians), he was a lost puppy for some time. The more confidence Marvin got in his rookie season, the more he showed his "athleticism." Marvin dunks easily. He is not a thunder dunk artist so this may be the misconception that he's not what Josh is.

You cannot discount speed/agility when you talk athleticism. I would never complain about Josh's "hops," but it doesn't make him more athletic. He was just given a gift to jump out the gym!