• Raised $390 of $700 target

Q&A with JJ

BornandDieHawks

'WE KNOW WHAT WE NEED TO DO'

Q and A: Hawks' Joe Johnson

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/30/06

Hawks captain Joe Johnson has seen his life and career take dramatic turns in the past year. He went from a complementary player on a championship-caliber club in Phoenix to the focal point of a rebuilding team in Atlanta, for a hefty $70 million in a sign-and-trade deal that could come to define this Hawks era.

Johnson is weeks away from playing for Team USA in the World Championship in Japan and a couple months from the start of his second season leading the Hawks. He sat down with staff writer Sekou Smith after practice at the national team training camp in Las Vegas and reflected on his first season with the Hawks, the future of the franchise and more.

PAUL CONNORS / Associated Press

(ENLARGE)

Joe Johnson says he'll be 'ready to go' for Hawks training camp after playing for the U.S. in the World Championships later this summer.

Q: Your season has been done for a while. Have you had a chance to think about what happened? Any regrets, mistakes?

A: Me coming in here last season, basically taking on a role I'd never been in before, was a bit of shock. It was for me, just like I know it was for Zaza [Pachulia] and just about everybody else. We got off to a rough start because we really didn't know our roles. And then we lost Jason [Collier] days into training camp and the whole thing just flew off the track. We were scrambling after that, emotionally and every way else.

It could have happened to any group of guys in the same position. It just so happened to be us. And it was obvious that we all struggled at the start. I have to give Coach [Mike] Woodson a lot of credit for keeping this thing together the way he did, because last season could have been a total disaster. But he refused to let us slip away.

Q: Are you confident the roller coaster that was your 26-56 season has cured whatever early-season ills plagued this team?

A: This year, I've got a whole new approach and there's no way we start 2-16 or 2-21 or whatever. Last year, we had some stretches where we looked good. And some stretches where we looked [bad]. But we were a young team, with guys playing in roles for the first time in their careers. But you've got to take the bitter with the sweet. And guys have to come back ready to go, hungry. And I mean from the first day of practice.

Q: You're a returning captain, the only one if Al Harrington's sign-and-trade deal ever gets done. Have you communicated with the rest of your guys what you just told us?

A: I've talked to just about every single guy on the team at one point or another this summer. I talk to Josh [smith] all the time. He's been working hard. He's ready. I think he's going to take a giant step this season. And Marvin [Williams], he's like a little brother to me. He's working hard.

All these guys, we know what we need to do. We know we have to be ready to go. There's no more time to waste. Not being in the playoffs this year and watching other teams play made me realize that. None of this is guaranteed. One year you're in the Western Conference finals thinking this could go on forever, and the next year you're at the house watching. I hate watching.

Q: Speedy Claxton, Shelden Williams and Solomon Jones have been added so far. Is that enough to push this team into contention for a playoff spot?

A: I think those guys are definitely going to help us. But I wouldn't say that alone is going to turn it around, although it could and hopefully it does. But I still think we need another big body down there. We're a "big" away from where we should be. We need another big guy to keep Zaza and Shelden and Solomon, and really Josh and Marvin as well, from having to shoulder more of a responsibility down there than is necessary.

We've all got to keep working. And management has to keep looking around at what's out there to see if there's someone that fits the needs we have and can come in here and make an impact.

Q: It sounds like you think the Hawks are a bit closer to returning to the playoffs than many critics. Is it as simple as another player or two or is there a cultural change that has to take place for an organization that hasn't been to the postseason in seven years?

A: The main thing this season, us being the Atlanta Hawks, we've got to work harder than everybody else. Last year, we had a tendency to be too cool. We'd go out there and let people jump out on us and then we wanted to pick it up. Sometimes we'd come back and sometimes we wouldn't. But we've got to change that about ourselves.

We've got to be more aggressive. We've got to be one of most aggressive teams in the league. Coach Woodson talked about it all the time and I don't think some of these guys understood where he was coming from when he said that. And that was our fault. Because what he's saying is exactly right. It's not good enough to be here. You've got to want to work to be one of the best once you reach this point in your career.

Q: Speaking of being here, this U.S. national team experience is a new one for you. You've spoken at length about how excited you are to be here but are you worried at all about the toll the competition could take on your body?

A: Man, I'm not worried at all. This is what I do. I'm always playing ball, whether I was doing it for the national team or doing in my mama's driveway or doing it in my sleep. This is what I love to do. And I've worked hard to get in the best shape possible, so my body will be fine. I've taken care of myself and it's not like any of us are going to be playing 40 minutes a night in the tournament.

Nobody needs to worry about me. I'll be ready to go when training camp starts.

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/index.html

Anyone else happen to notice that Joe didn't make any reference to Childress. Could it be that the rumored Childress for Magliore may actually happen? I'm hoping we get a little more out of the deal if it happens because I'm not too incredibly excited about Magliore.

What about Childress for Wilcox (Seattle could use the depth)?

Childress for Mihm (Kobe/Childress to Jordan/Pippen)?

Quote:

A: I've talked to just about every single guy on the team at one point or another this summer. I talk to Josh [smith] all the time. He's been working hard. He's ready. I think he's going to take a giant step this season. And Marvin [Williams], he's like a little brother to me. He's working hard.

That's my favorite part. laugh.gif

He shows maturity. There are definately things that are important to learn in life and can't be learned without hard times. I think he is definately more prepared to lead.

I also like his comment about if we are ready. Sounded honest and also referrenced getting a big. Training camp will be a totally different atmosphere this year.

• Premium Member

It doesn't sound like he's just talking either. To me, it almost sounds like this is the way he wanted to come to the team last year...but perhaps couldn't assume as much of a leadership role with a "co-captain."

It's WAAAAY early, but JJ is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite Hawks...! lol

Im tellin you the NBA should really be played all year long...enough with the summer hiatus...I'm going through withdraw BIG TIME right about now...and its articles like these that don't help my situation...I'm ready to see the team in action...to see everyones developments and improvements...to see the Hawks shock some people

I'm really excited now (ofcourse it never takes much to excite me) GO HAWKS!! woohoo!!