gsuteke

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Did he make mention of what the 1st would be?

2007 unprotected?

Bernie didn't give any of the parameters of the deal or the other team involved...he just stated that it was done and would be announced on Monday.

So did he or didn't he say the deal was with INDY? or did he just say the Al deal is done?

• Premium Member

The pros and cons of the proposed indy deal.

Pros:

1. It leaves us with a lot of capspace next year.

2. The pick should be a good player seeing that it's a deep draft expected.

Cons:

1. We obviously don't do well with Capspace, Capspace is for acquiring..

2. We should be beyond acquiring young talent.

Inn short, the Indy trade to me seems like a trade that doesen't fit our blueprint... i.e. it's good we got something for Al. That being the case, I can't be too excited about it. It's just one of those times where we lost but at least we got something.

I do not bother listening/reading the whiners and complainers on this board. I read it sometimes and if it too much. I may reply to it. Ever since the draft this year. I can tell who to take seriously and who not to take seriously. If I took every post seriously. I would have been ban from here a long time ago.

The only reason to trade Al for players right now is if we believe that there is a player that can really fill that sallery slot and make a huge contribution to the team THIS year.

By acquiring more assests or in Walter's terms draft currency, we become serious players in the RFA and FA market next year. A package of one of our forwards plus a pick is very enticing for a team that may loose an FA or gets us to an RFA.

I agree that this year it sucks not to get anything splashy for Al, but it doesn't seem that there was really that much we could get and stay within the parameters of the screwed up ownership.

Quote:

The only reason to trade Al for players right now is if we believe that there is a player that can really fill that sallery slot and make a huge contribution to the team THIS year.

By acquiring more assests or in Walter's terms draft currency, we become serious players in the RFA and FA market next year. A package of one of our forwards plus a pick is very enticing for a team that may loose an FA or gets us to an RFA.

I agree that this year it sucks not to get anything splashy for Al, but it doesn't seem that there was really that much we could get and stay within the parameters of the screwed up ownership.

you overlook the FA landscape in 2007. big men will be at a premium once again and there will be very few teams with capspace. if we trade for a Mihm type contract we'll have massive bargaining power next offseason.

Quote:

Cons:

1. We obviously don't do well with Capspace, Capspace is for acquiring..

2. We should be beyond acquiring young talent.

Inn short, the Indy trade to me seems like a trade that doesen't fit our blueprint... i.e. it's good we got something for Al. That being the case, I can't be too excited about it. It's just one of those times where we lost but at least we got something.

I have thought about this and maybe BK is not trying to continue to acquire more talent from the draft. This trade with Ind might be to put a bigger package together when the FA market is a lot deeper.

I am trying to only look at the positives because if the deal is done we all just to just live with it.

"Yes...but when Bernie said look for big news on Monday...one of the host on Rude Awakining said you mean the Al Harrington deal will be on Monday...and Bernie replied...yeah, it's already done...then they kept on joking with Bernie by telling him to call 680thefan first instead of AJC so that 680thefan won't have to find out about the deal in the newpaper the next day." quote

The guys on the radio are dolts. If they treated the Hawks better, maybe they would give them the inside info. And they were more concerned about themselves getting the info than answering questions for the listeners. Egos with mouths.

I am not at all surprised about the Indy deal. Have thought for a week that what we got is what we are gonna take into the season. At this point it is about developing the young gusy and creating the chemestry.

Want to re-post something I said last week. The average age of our young bigs is 22 or 23. I think getting Lo Wright was huge so he can mentor these guys. Show them how to handle themselves inside. I think it's like getting a player and a coach all for the same price.

• Premium Member

I do believe that BK has been fiscally conservative since he has taken over. However, the only reason to have capspace is to use it. Most teams won't allow a good free agent to get to the market. So it's possible that we'll be looking at Swift or at best Mihm...

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but why does the Indy pick have to be unprotected? If they add Al to their lineup, they will be in the playoffs. Protecting the pick does not add value (in a realistic sense).

Personally, a non-lottery pick for Al is not getting adequate compensation for the young and talented Forward. However, IF this deal involves enough budgetary relief to make a big move in Free Angency next year, then do the deal.

Quote:

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but why does the Indy pick have to be unprotected? If they add Al to their lineup, they will be in the playoffs. Protecting the pick does not add value (in a realistic sense)...

Agee gman. Indy has the talent to make the playoffs no-problem. Plus, Indy is a basketball town, so if a key injury were to occure - Bird would do whatever he could to keep them competitive during that span. They aren't tanking the season in Indy. We'll be looking at a pick around 20 probably. Not great but better than nothing.

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot here , but I've heard the Hawks may get a lottery protected pick in 2008 or 2009 , may not be the 2007 pick.

Rick Carlisle was on local radio Aug 9th, WNDE The Drive sports talk program and pretty much said it was a done deal.

The Hawks will receive the future #1, cash and the famous future considerations in the deal. At the time he said picks so he may be alluding to a #2 pick also. Currently the Pacers have no #2 pick next season. He said the Pacers had a couple more moves planned perhaps something gained there is part of the future considerations.

Just thought I'd relay what has been said here.

Thanks for the info i-d...I suppose a 2008 first wouldn't be so bad from a strategic perspective for the Hawks. Personally (and for selfish reasons), I'd like to see it be a 2007 pick just so draft time next year isn't as depressing.

It'll be depressing enough to hear "with the __ pick in the draft (acquired in a trade with Atlanta), the Phoenix Suns pick_________.

As far as a second round pick from Indy (a team that will likely be in the playoffs no sweat) - who cares.

Quote:

I caught far from everything, but some of the comments he was making about Shelden made it sound like Shelden would have to earn a starting job. I may have heard that wrong, though. Did anyone else hear what I was hearing? That was around 8:3something.

He did say Sheldon would have to earn the spot but he also stated that they are hopeful that because of his maturity he's ready to assume the starting position.

I also noticed that when he talked about depth, he mentioned everyone but Grundy and Edwards and I'm hoping that means Edwards will be going with Al. He also mentioned Solomon and said that he wouldn't have any pressure and would have time to develop. Does this mean NBDL for him?

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but why does the Indy pick have to be unprotected? If they add Al to their lineup, they will be in the playoffs. Protecting the pick does not add value (in a realistic sense)...

Agee gman. Indy has the talent to make the playoffs no-problem. Plus, Indy is a basketball town, so if a key injury were to occure - Bird would do whatever he could to keep them competitive during that span. They aren't tanking the season in Indy. We'll be looking at a pick around 20 probably. Not great but better than nothing.

If Indy loses Jermaine ONeal for the year like Phoenix did Amare last year or SA did Robinson during his prime, etc. then the lottery protection becomes huge. If everyone is healthy and performs near expectations, then I agree protection isn't an issue. However, I value the pick significantly more without protection because all it takes is Indy to miss the playoffs and a lucky bounce in the lottery to turn into a franchise changing player.

• Moderators

Quote:

He also mentioned Solomon and said that he wouldn't have any pressure and would have time to develop. Does this mean NBDL for him?

Yes. He said last week Solomon wouldn't be getting minutes this year in the NBA. He also said the team was not expected to sign Grundy but would look to sign him if a roster spot opened due to injury.

Quote:

...If Indy loses Jermaine ONeal for the year like Phoenix did Amare last year or SA did Robinson during his prime, etc. then the lottery protection becomes huge. If everyone is healthy and performs near expectations, then I agree protection isn't an issue. However, I value the pick significantly more without protection because all it takes is Indy to miss the playoffs and a lucky bounce in the lottery to turn into a franchise changing player.

Well you have a point AHF - I think the odds of something like that happening are V.slim to none - but it is in the realm of possibilty.

Of course Indy knows that too so I would imagine the pick will be protected at least to a degree.

Jermaine O'Neal's recent injury history is a main factor Bird/Walsh steadfastly were refusing to make the 2007 available expecially unprotected.

If Al Harrington were not acquired and Jermaine went down , you are looking at Stephen Jackson as the top scorer. I actually like Stephen but not as your #1 option on offense.

Getting Harrington , added to Danny Granger and Jackson (if he's not moved) is protection offensively if J.O. goes down. Plus at 26 , Al is still young , is O'Neal very good friend and was here only 2 years ago and should be able to fit in quicky . The Pacers have acquired 8 nba vets since the end of the season, Harrington's familiarity is vital.

The Hawks end up getting potentially a good player with the #1 for the future, plus future considerations (remember the Pacers acquired the trade exemption in large part to future considerations) for Harrington a free agent who could have walked away leaving the Hawks with nothing for him.

Its not the package the Hawks fans or management would have preferred but its far better than nothing.

• Premium Member

Harrington was never leaving Atlanta for nothing. He needed the Hawks to get him a six year deal and he wasn't going to take a MLE deal when his pricetage was much higher.

If the deal is only a 2007 protected first rounder and some chump change to the ownership it is a bad trade for the Hawks and for Hawks fans. Absolutely no help for the team this year and only more of that "p" word for the future.

• Moderators

Quote:

If the deal is only a 2007 protected first rounder and some chump change to the ownership it is a bad trade for the Hawks and for Hawks fans. Absolutely no help for the team this year and only more of that "p" word for the future.

Agreed.

Expecting Al to walk away from millions of dollars and leave Atlanta without anything is unrealistic. Al needs the Hawks and any team that wants to get Al needs the Hawks. The issue is the right trade value and it needs to be an unprotected pick for a guy who has shown what he has at age 26, IMO.