• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Player predictions: Marvin Williams

macdaddy

• Moderators

I think everyone agrees that Joe Johnson is the Hawks best and most important player. But for our success in the upcoming season I think Marvin is the next most important piece in terms of raising his game. Will he breakout? I don't really know.

Smoove, Chill, Zaza we kind of know what to expect. But I don't see any of them being a consistent offensive force in the 20 ppg range. That's what Marvin is here for. If he can become an offensive threat then it will take pressure off JJ. My actual prediction though is that he will be better than last year but may still struggle taking guys off the dribble.

Thoughts?

I agree with most that has been said thus far except that he is the next most important piece in us becoming a better all-around team. That is going to depend largely on how much our defense has improved in the paint with Zaza, Sheldon and Wright.

Now I'll go ahead and take the burden off of you know who and you know who's perpetual negative spin on Marvin and say that he'll never put up any #'s close to Al and he was and still is nothing but hype and a huge mistake by this organization. Yep, that about does it.

I think Marvin will improve this year, but I think his breakout year is one year away. I think his progression as a player will be similar to Chris Bosh's. This year, Marvin will probably jump up to the 15 PPG, 6 RPG range. Next year though, I believe Marvin will arrive as a star on this level.

Replacing Harrington's production will not be that hard though. Fans have a tendency to make the mistake of thinking that production needs to come from one player. It doesn't, and it won't at this point. Last year, the Hawks actually averaged about 5 points per 100 possessions more without Al in the line up than they did with Al in the line up. The points differential was also greater as well.

Al is a good player, but he had a strong tendency to slow the ball movement of the offense down. With Marvin and Josh getting those minutes, that ball movement won't slow down.

I do not recall either; but 14pts, 7boards, and 1blk is not out of reach. I do think he will have some big 20pt, 10 board games this season; but as with all young players, consistency will only come with reps. Which he should get this season. He will show great strides this year.

I expect next season he will be near Al's equal on offense. He is already a much more tenacious rebounder and defender

(does not back down and just watch); but he gets caught out of position sometimes and that part of us game will improve with experience also.

I'd would very much like for Marvin to raise his game by extremes this season, but I think we're at least another year from that happening. I honestly think we have one other piece that is even more important

Mark my words...

This is will be the year Josh Smith blows up. He will be an All Star but if he isn't, he'll be up there in the running. With Walker and Harrington now fully out of his way, there will be no holding him back from taking his rightful place alongside Joe as a Star in ATL.

I'm predicting...

PPG = 20-24

RPG = 9-10

APG = 4-5

BPG = 3-4

SPG = 1-2

Quote:

I'm predicting...

PPG = 20-24

RPG = 9-10

APG = 4-5

BPG = 3-4

SPG = 1-2

So we'll see. I hate the fact that the one thing we needed to make MW and JS a legitimately viable starting 3/4 Sf combo and we didn't even try out the potential such players, look at FAcy, or sniff a trade for one. Just lame.

W

I'm actually just taking the last month of last season and adding a little for his continued growth through the off-season. His stats for the last month of play where...

PPG = 17.5

RPG = 7.6

APG = 4.2

BPG = 3.4

SPG = 1.5

His "Post All-Star" stats were also similar...

PPG = 15.0

RPG = 7.8

APG = 4.1

BPG = 3.1

SPG = 1.0

You add those numbers to the fact that he still hasn't reach his potential and will have a little more time to play without Harrington in the lineup and I think my numbers are quite realistic. Then again, it's only my opinion.

i think marvin will have periods of taking over games. not consistenly in the beginning, but in spurts. i think the same will be true for josh smith too. i think that the trimverant of jj, josh s and marvin will be a force to be reckoned with by feburary. the other pieces will compliment them.