• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou: more precamp scoop

DrReality

Sneak peek at new faces

By Sekou Smith | Monday, September 25, 2006, 04:05 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

I don’t know if it’s the smell of the gym or if I’m just anxious for training camp to start, but can we get started already?!

I made another pit stop to the Hawks’ practice court this morning. It was a fact-finding trip as well as yours truly just being a snoop and wanting to see who’d already made it back to town. There was a good crowd, many current players and most of the guys who will be on the training camp roster.

There’s nothing major to report beyond the fact that Speedy Claxton was there working out, busted finger in the cast and all. Josh Smith was there, too. And I can verify the added muscle (he said he’s up to 240 with an eye toward shedding at least five during training camp). Tyronn Lue showed up as well, looking fit, trim and toned up (said he’s down to 177, his lightest weight since college) for his second full season with the team.

Al Harrington even dropped by after most of the full court runs were over; he’s heading to Indiana in the morning but wanted to get some shots up one last time before leaving town.

But I was honestly more interested in the new faces on the floor, the guys who’ll round out the training camp roster. The Hawks have just 13 players under guaranteed contracts for the upcoming season. So theoretically, there’s room for two more guys.

Most teams elect to leave a roster spot or two open to maintain some flexibility once the season starts. I expect the Hawks to do the same. But there are some guys on the training camp roster that will make them think hard about that. Here they are, in alphabetical order (with some general observations):

Cedric Bozeman, 6-6, 207, guard: The former UCLA star impressed on the Hawks’ summer league team and has been in and around the practice floor each and every time I’ve been there this summer. He can play both guard spots and even some small forward. But the Hawks are stacked at his spot; so making the team will take some work.

Andre Brown, 6-9, 245, forward: Brown is a classic power forward with plenty of experience. He’s explosive, too, as he showed with numerous dunks and dunk attempts over people Monday. He’ll push the young guys (Shelden Williams especially) during camp.

Lionel Chalmers, 6-0, 180, guard: You might remember this guy from Xavier’s NCAA tournament run a few years back. He was the explosive point guard that teamed up with Romain Sato and carried the Musketeers to within a game of the Final Four. He’ll help out while Claxton recovers, but has Lue and Royal Ivey blocking his path.

Kaniel Dickens, 6-8, 215, forward: This former Idaho stars epitomizes the life of those NBA training camp “tweeners” who, for whatever reason, bounce around from training camp to training camp and minor league to foreign league with the occasional call up to the NBA. He seems to have everything you’d want from a player except the guaranteed contract. Go figure.

Matt Freije, 6-10, 240: More than any other guy I saw Monday, this former Vanderbilt star (who spent time his rookie year with the New Orleans Hornets) will make it tough to send him home. Freije has the size, skills and experience to make a roster, provided he stays healthy and there is an opening. He can stroke it from deep and nasty enough to go to work inside. Keep an eye on the former second-round pick.

Andreas Glyniadakis, 7-1, 280: He’ll no doubt be the biggest guy in camp. A second round pick (No. 58 overall) of the Detroit Pistons in 2003 and a training camp participant in 2005, the Greek big fella makes you take pause and take notice of him. He can shoot it, like most international big men. And he’s not afraid to mix it up, he showed as much Monday and in the NBDL last season. His size alone will make him hard to ignore.

Beyond that, we’ll just have to wait until next week before we know anything else.

Quote:

Andreas Glyniadakis, 7-1, 280: He’ll no doubt be the biggest guy in camp. A second round pick (No. 58 overall) of the Detroit Pistons in 2003 and a training camp participant in 2005, the Greek big fella makes you take pause and take notice of him. He can shoot it, like most international big men. And he’s not afraid to mix it up, he showed as much Monday and in the NBDL last season. His size alone will make him hard to ignore.

So we got the greek giant after all. He's a stiff by all accounts but...I like Matt Freije. Honestly, I'd just assume see who gets cut elsewhere with most of these guys.

W

IMO this is the best Training Camp Roster the Hawks have had in some time. We have got 2 or 3guys(Bozeman, Freije, & The Greek guy) who could all find a spot on our roster. We couldn't have said that over the past 3years or more. I hope we keep Freije & Bozeman. Why can't Ivey go on the IR list? Just cause Billy was silly enough to pick up his option doesn't mean he should have guareenteed minutes over someone trying to make the team.

It was a joke, I think I am being a prettyr good sport about you all calling me a racist. I was saying something negative about a white player and before I did I established you and your buddies would claim it was part of a racist agenda. My point is clear, that guy is 7'1" but I have heard nothing about him. Usually any clown 6'10" or taller is all over the map with interest from lots of teams but this guy has none.

Quote:

Sneak peek at new faces

By Sekou Smith | Monday, September 25

Al Harrington even dropped by after most of the full court runs were over; he’s heading to Indiana in the morning but wanted to get some shots up one last time before leaving town.

Am I the only one who found this to be hilarious? Didn't he miss enough shots here already?

Quote:

It was a joke, I think I am being a prettyr good sport about you all calling me a racist. I was saying something negative about a white player and before I did I established you and your buddies would claim it was part of a racist agenda. My point is clear, that guy is 7'1" but I have heard nothing about him. Usually any clown 6'10" or taller is all over the map with interest from lots of teams but this guy has none.

whether or not you are a racist is not important to me. what is important is that it's a distraction to the board.

Matt Frieje can really shoot the basketball. I don't think he has very many auxillary skills, but he can flat out shoot it. I saw him play live at Vandy a couple of years ago when Mississippi State played Vandy in Nashville.

I'm also glad Cedric Bozeman is in camp. He's a guy that deserves something good to happen to him.

Not Exactly true. RealGM had an article about this Greek guy a few weeks back. The Hawks and 2 other teams were all interested in this guy. He still may very well be a stiff, but he did have some interest other than the Hawks.

Quote:

Where are you when I need you Johnny Bravo? How can you work stiff into this guys name?

I tried to stay out of this since someone will post my comments a few weeks ago when I advocated bringing him in. (I got him confused with the starting center of the Greek National Team)

That being said, I shall dub him Andreastiff Glyniadakis