• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The uncomfortable truth

exodus

Quote:

Yeah Stackhouse at the time he played with Iverson wanted to be Iverson, Van Horn just sucks, Coleman and Big Dog played with him towards the end of their pathetic careers so if thats the best he has played with, it more than proves my point that Iverson has never played with anyone NEAR the caliber of JJ. But you are right that he does want to be the main focus of the Sixers and rightfully so. But I disagree that he would come here and say this is my team. It would be both JJ and Iverson's team. He would notice that the minute he stepped on the court with JJ and realized his talent. Your just making assumptions really. A change of scenery might be all he needs and of course another star to play with. But we will never know so its really pointless argueing about it.

21 points per game. 45% field goal shooting. Say what you will about Big Dog as a player, but those numbers are a LEGITIMATE SECOND OPTION. Right now, our second option (Lue) is 15 PPG 34%. Our third option is Zaza. All four of the players seasons I put up there are better. Hell, all four of them played better defense, and (with the exception of Big Dog) passed the ball better too. And yet, Joe has no problem chugging along, putting up stellar numbers with his motley crew.

And if the Olympic team was Iverson's team (Not this one over the summer, but the one that was an embarrasment), then what about Joe would change Iverson's mind? His professionalism?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Quote:

But you are right that he does want to be the main focus of the Sixers and rightfully so. But I disagree that he would come here and say this is my team. It would be both JJ and Iverson's team. He would notice that the minute he stepped on the court with JJ and realized his talent. Your just making assumptions really.

You realize you are just making assumptions about this, right? wink.gif

Quote:

I think most of you can agree that no team has really EVER made the NBA Finals with only one star player except Iverson in 2000

Iverson had the Sixth man of the year, the Defensive Player of the Year, and the Coach of the Year the season he went to the Finals.

AI has played on some crappy teams, but that 2000-2001 team wasn't one of them.

Dikembe avgd 14 & 14 in the playoffs that year and along with Aaron McKie, Theo Ratliff and Eric Snow that Philly team was a tremendous defensive club.

Quote:

Quote:

I think most of you can agree that no team has really EVER made the NBA Finals with only one star player except Iverson in 2000

Iverson had the Sixth man of the year, the Defensive Player of the Year, and the Coach of the Year the season he went to the Finals.

Dikembe avgd 14 & 14 in the playoffs that year and along with Aaron McKie, Theo Ratliff and Eric Snow that Philly team was a tremendous defensive club.

Theo and Deek didn't play on the same team.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're absolutely right.

Of course it does not change the argument.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're absolutely right.

Of course it does not change the argument.

No, but it distracts from the fact that AI had a very good compliment of talent on that team. Not at the level of say the Pistons supporting Billups or even the Pippen/Grant combo Jordan enjoyed but they were a stifling defensive crew that hit the boards and were a great match with AI's style of offense.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe the second scoring option should be Salim

A turnover prone, undersized 2 is best suited as a scorer off the bench.

I like how you took just one part of that statement. I finished that statement by saying that he is a natural scorer. The criteria for the second scorer was that he needed to be a good shooter and be able to drive the lane effectively. Salim can do both. His turnovers seem to be a result of his being a little too overzealous sometimes, but I feel that is due to his incosistent minutes. He feels that he needs to make the big play whenever he gets the ball in order to stay in the game. Lately, Woody has asked him to concentrate on scoring and his play has actually improved. He seems a little more under control now. I still don't get what so hard to grasp about Salim being a second scoring option. He's a natural scorer. He can create his own shot on the perimeter and finish in the lane over taller defenders. Maybe it's time Woody really gives this guy a look. Really....I'm not joking grin.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I still don't get what so hard to grasp about Salim being a second scoring option.

Very simple. He is an undersized 2. He can't play the point at all on offense and can't guard 2s on D.

Let's revisit this after the game.

Quote:

is that the Hawks future depends on Marvin.

JJ is a star, no question. But he can only do so much himself. Smoove has the makings of a very strong all around player, but his skills are too limited to be a go to scorer.

I think Shelden will become a solid complementary scorer as well.

However the Hawks need a secondary scorer who is capable of averaging 20 ppg, who can shoot from the outside and break down the defense. I don't see them getting this player from the draft. It is doubtful they will be getting any more top 5 picks and it is also unlikely they will be able to acquire such a scorer through free agency or trade.

That means that it falls on Marvin to become that player. If he doesn't mature into a big time scorer then the Hawks aren't going to be contenders any time soon even if they do get help at center and at pg.

I think it falls on the shoulders of Marvin AND Smoove.

I think in his prime Smoove is capable of averaging 20/10/5/3. The more he works on his perimeter jumper and handles, the more dangerous he will become. He is an elite athlete. So elite, that even right now with his limited dribbling skills, if he drove to the basket more often and rose to the rim, he could easily draw fouls or take a very high percentage shot. No one can jump with him.

Marvin on the other hand is not as freakishly athletic as Smoove but I agree he has more refined skills.

But I don't see Marvin carrying the load alone. I think Smoove and Marvin will both emerge as supporting stars to JJ.

This may take 2-3 years but JJ will still be very fresh with many years to go in the tank.

This is a championship team by 2008 if we can re-sign all the pieces.

He wants to be the missing piece, but wherever he goes, he is going to disrupt the chemistry of that team which will ultimately be the downfall of that team.

I can already see what's going to happen if he gets traded to Denver. That will put two shot chuckers who play very little defense on the same team, although at least Carmelo is efficient in his offensive game.