• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Most controversial thread ever...

CBAreject

Here's a simple but controversial question in the spirit of this tank-talk.

If you were presented with the following 2 scenarios which would you chose?

1) Hawks win 30 games and lose their draft pick to Phoenix

2) JJ has a mild injury that causes him to miss 3 months. He returns to full health by the summer, and he never suffers from any problems related to the injury at any subsequent point in his career. The Hawks finish with the worst record in the NBA and get the #1 pick in the draft.

Remember that you may answer this with anonymity. Nobody will be able to "question your fandom".

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect poll as worded. I still chose the wins but it's close, actually if you added the option and Oden decides to declare for the draft, that might have swayed me to take the pick. If JJ did go down, I think we'd battle Philly down to the wire for worst record, but then you have the lottery which might leave us with the 4th or 5th pick.

To be fair, if you had just asked me straight up:

Would I prefer the Hawks won 30 games this year or had JJ go down with an injury that kept him out 3 months and the Hawks win 20 games, I'd take the 30 wins. By loading it up with other assumptions, you've biased the poll (e.g. the injury doesn't affect JJ later, the Hawks get the #1 pick with the worst record in the NBA, the Hawks don't get a top 3 pick with 30 wins).

Quote:

What fools voted for 30 wins? Be a man and admit it. What kind of a moron would want a left over ham sammich of a team instead of the chance to draft a franchise changing big man??

i didn't vote. i think this poll is an example of how dire the situation has become around here unfortunately.

• Premium Member

Its the nadir of the franchise. Our only hope is failing enough to have a chance to get a top three pick and hoping said pick is truly a great young center. We have no hope of improving through trades or free agent signings with the ownership situation like it is.

Quote:

This sounds like a Walter poll. Only giving us skewed options that try to make it so your opinion is shown to be more favored.

Agreed. This is well below CBA's usual standards. We all swing and miss sometimes. And here I was hoping I'd get to vote on what the most controversial HS thread ever was...

We will tank without trying. What's the controversy? BK will promise someone other than Oden the pick anyway. I have zero faith in our GM to make a great pick.

BK will be like the Houston Texans and pass up the best player just because his warped viewpoint will annoint someone other than Oden. I wish I was kidding but I can honestly see that happening.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Its the nadir of the franchise. Our only hope is failing enough to have a chance to get a top three pick and hoping said pick is truly a great young center. We have no hope of improving through trades or free agent signings with the ownership situation like it is.

I'm dumbfounded that people having NO IDEAS as to how to improve this franchise other than a top 3 pick would reject it out of principle. In the same vein as those who argue real, patriotic Hawk's fans wouldn't "tank", I'll take loving the Hawks franchise over silly franchise-d@mning principle, thank you".

W

Guest Walter

My Hawks' team would win significantly more games over the next 10 years should we win a top 3 pick than your Hawk team would.

It's about giving up on the franchise for 5-10 years or giving up on this team this year only. Why is there even an issue here?

W

I think you flatter yourself with the idea of most controversial thread. Desiel is pretty good at creating controversy without even trying.

Personally I think they will be in a good position in the lottery without JJ getting hurt. I've posted this before, but I think it's time for STern to do his conspiracy thing and pull our name out of the hat for a top three pick. If we are in that position it could make us or break us and I think Stern knows it. It is very important for the NBA to excell in our market. I think the NBA needs Atl.

Typical response from you. The poll is designed to be a tough choice. It's not supposed to be skewed. If I'd known so many people would chose #2, I might try to make it less palatable. Do you wish an injury on your best player if it's best for your franchise? That's the question. I never gave my opinion, btw. I would hate to see JJ be injured.

On the one hand, you say we get 30 wins (which I will assume gets us the 5-6th worst record since thats about what happened last year). That equates to roughly 20-29% chance of us retaining our pick.

On the other hand, you have us get the worst record and then the first pick, which has a 25% chance of happening.

The first situation has a 71-80% chance of happening with the pick, the other one has a 25% chance of happening with the pick. Now gee, I wonder how one could see that as being skewed. Get real CBA, these "scenarios" are completely biased.

Guest Walter

which results in only a 15.1% chance of keeping a top 3 pick. The team with the most loses has a 25% chance of keeping the #1 overall pick or a 65% chance of keeping a top 3 pick. That's > a 4 times increase in keeping a top 3 pick. If Mendoza's batting average were quadrupled, he'd be TWO Ted Williams' in his best year. If Wilt Chamberlin's scoring record were quadrupled, he'd have scored 400(+) pts. A 400% increase in opportunity is HUGE!

Get real CBA, these "scenarios" are completely biased.

Yes, you're right. Perhaps these scenarios don't go far enough in demonstrating the benefit of "tanking" to acquire a top 3 pick and eventual franchise center over empty, franchise-d@mning moral victories.

W