• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves offseason...

CBAreject

Is this not the most boring offseason in memory? I thought there would be lots of action.

I think the team will be fine, but I thought JS would make a big trade. I'm glad he hasn't budged on LaRoche. Too many teams offered table scraps and not enough meat.

I would've loved a LaRoche for Figgins/Saunders trade, but nobody seems to want to deal young arms.

I agree with you. The offseason has been very quiet. I think it's largely due to John Shuerholtz being handcuffed by payroll constraints due to delay in the selling of the team. I think the Braves will have a good season in 2007. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

This is the best year for the Braves to have little activity. The FA market is unbelievably inflated, we are getting a lot of people back from injury, and we resigned Wickman (our closer) before the season ended.

The one deal that we did was an absolute steal (R. Soriano for H. Ramirez). Because of our tight payroll, we didn't waste our money on overpaid players.

I love what the Braves have done this offseason and we will definitely compete within the NL East!

I predict the bullpen will be the best in the NL East.

I love this 7-8-9 group: Villareal, Soriano, Wickman

I love this lefty: McBride

I like these middle relievers: Paronto, Yates

I think these guys are going to be great: Devine, Stockman

It's really a complete bullpen. This bullpen is so many times better than what we've had for the last 2 years.

The only thing that you might change is adding another lefty, and we may need Villareal to start (which he does well), so that would change our 7th inning guy.

Quote:

Gotta think that the ownership situation has something to do with in???

Of course.

But I'd rather us be sitting here quietly than wasting money as so many other teams have done.

The Soriano trade was a good one. I didn't like the rumors about trading with Tampa Bay or Pittsburgh. Again, I'd rather sit quietly than make a horrible trade just for the sake of saying we did something.

Quote:

It's really a complete bullpen. This bullpen is so many times better than what we've had for the last 2 years.

The only thing that you might change is adding another lefty, and we may need Villareal to start (which he does well), so that would change our 7th inning guy.

I don't like Paronto, Yates, or McBride. We don't have Leo anymore. These guys throw it anywhere they want. Often times it is up in the zone and gets crushed.

I am a little happier than last year. Still, I think McDowell iz lazy. The exact opposite of Leo, and it shows.

Quote:

Hm.. I like nothing at all about the Vulture.

You are wrong. He is the best defensive center fielder ever. His offense has improved dramatically over the last two years. He is also in the lineup EVERY day. He anchors our lineup. Schuerholtz needs to win the title without Andruw or I want him to retire. We have gotten worse for about 7 years. Andruw signed, I think, a six year-90 million dollar deal. That's a bargain. Look at Vernon Wells or Beltran. We will lose Andruw and spend the money on something Tim Hudsonish.

Who you gonna plug in the 4 hole Billy Beane boy?

By the way, Andruw is one of the only Braves to hit in the postseason recently. To rip Andruw and just brush off "the best defensive outfielder in history" because he strikes out(who doesn't these days?)is being a little dumb to the argument.

Quote:

Who you gonna plug in the 4 hole Billy Beane boy?

there is no need to have that discussion right now as neither you or I know who will be available this time next year.

Andruw has stated he will not accept a trade. fortunately for us he'll be playing for a contract this year so we won't be seeing the fat, lazy Andruw that we've come to know and love.

Quote:

Andruw has hit in the middle of the lineup for a decade now. I'm not a huge sentimentality guy, but once you lose too many of these guys and you're not wining, you're not the Braves anymore. See-Atlanta Hawks
frown.gif

let me ask you a question.

is Andruw Jones worth 18 to 20 million dollars a year for the production he provides? keep in mind that is 20 to 25 percent of the total payroll.

before you bring up thrifty spending on Atlanta's part consider they are in the top 10 in payroll, it's not like they're not spending any money.

Yes. How many Jerseys with his number do you see? He's also a huge pull for us in the islands. Kids will WANT to talk to us first. Not after Andruw walks. All that goes away.

Tell me if he was worth it when Bobby is gone in 4 years and attendance is 80's like. Andruw is a reason to go to the ballpark. I was all for trading him a few years ago, but he has carried us for 2 years. If we had any pitching at all, we would have made the wild-card.

Quote:

Yes. How many Jerseys with his number do you see? He's also a huge pull for us in the islands. Kids will WANT to talk to us first. Not after Andruw walks. All that goes away.

Tell me if he was worth it when Bobby is gone in 4 years and attendance is 80's like. Andruw is a reason to go to the ballpark. I was all for trading him a few years ago, but he has carried us for 2 years. If we had any pitching at all, we would have made the wild-card.

i think resigning Andruw to the contract he will command is silly.

you think otherwise. we are at an impasse. i am perfectly fine with that. only time will tell who was (is) right.

moving right along..........