OMG!!! Tim Hardaway!!!!

TroyMcClure

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Two things:

(1) It is interesting that Hardaway has no problem with other types of immoral behavior but has such a strong reaction to being gay (I am assuming he believes this is immoral). He admits to being homophobic so at least he is being honest.

(2) I think Amaechi has some rose tinted glasses on when he says that whites who stood up for blacks during the civil rights movement were viewed as heroes, etc. I am sure that whites who did this were discriminated against at the time when so many others were fighting to enforce Jim Crow laws, etc. In fact, the shunning was probably much worse in communities where this issue was divisive. They are looked on as heroes today when 99% of the public fully supports the idea of equal rights for all races. That wasn't the case when the civil rights movement was in its infancy much like the gay rights movement today.

• Moderators

On a more serious note, most people who come out face serious backlash from the community and/or family and there is not much social upside so I don't understand why anymore than a true fringe % of people who choose to be gay over choosing to be straight. Plus, choosing to be gay would seriously limit the pool of people you could hook up with.

I can't come up with an explanation for why someone who is married with children or who is a conservative christian leader would choose to be gay.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I can't come up with an explanation for why someone who is married with children or who is a conservative christian leader would choose to be gay.

One explanaition is that they are married with children or a christian leader as a coverup for being gay so they don't feel a backlash from the community. It is kind of like how just about every politician is married, not necessarily because they love their spouse but because if they weren't married they would lose votes to the public. Everyone knows about those kinds of "fake" marriages.

I understand that rationale but that supposes someone who is born gay and tries to cover it up because they choose to try to live a heterosexual lifestyle but can't deny their genetic leaning.

• Moderators

Quote:

But I can supplement it with saying there certainly are people who choose to be gay but still live a heterosexual lifestyle because of certain motives (not wanting to dissapoint the family, not wanting to be looked upon as different, trying to be active in the community...) that drive them to coverup being gay.

In the example of the person who never engages in any homosexual sexual activity what is the motive for choosing to be gay but living as a heterosexual. I certainly understand motives driving the coverup of being gay. I don't understand, however, why someone who follows that rationale and covers up being gay wouldn't just choose to be heterosexual. That seems like it would be a lot simpler and more satisfying than choosing to be gay while living a heterosexual lifestyle.

he said what he said. he conveyed what many Americans feel but simply don't have the balls to say themselves.

he did go overboard with the "hate" stuff but in the end it is what it is. if you have a problem with it don't wash your car at his carwash in Miami.

seriously.

I think it is sad that Hardaway said what he said. I think it shows that he has his own issues to deal with if he hates gays that much. So Amaechi is gay. So what? If Hardaway is comfortable in his own sexuality and his own life I dont know why he even has to bother thinking that much about Amaechi and his choices. Hardaway was worshipped in a place with a large gay community in Miami and it displays immaturity for him to come out with this in my opinion. Gay / Straight / Whatever. Come on this is 2007 for crying out loud.

Quote:

he said what he said. he conveyed what many Americans feel but simply don't have the balls to say themselves.

he did go overboard with the "hate" stuff but in the end it is what it is. if you have a problem with it don't wash your car at his carwash in Miami.

seriously.

That's pretty much where I stand on the situation.

Quote:

Quote:

seriously.

this is a classic case of the media making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

seriously.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if he had used 'Jews' instead of 'gay people,' or maybe "whites."

IMO, there's a sickening tolerance of discrimination towards gay people in this country. The NBA, on the other hand, is a pretty forward-thinking league, IMO. If two black head coaches in the NBA were going up against each other in the Finals, it probably wouldn't make the news at all (compare to the NFL.) It's sad that hate and bigotry are the tolerated norm.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

seriously.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if he had used 'Jews' instead of 'gay people,' or maybe "whites."

IMO, there's a sickening tolerance of discrimination towards gay people in this country. The NBA, on the other hand, is a pretty forward-thinking league, IMO. If two black head coaches in the NBA were going up against each other in the Finals, it probably wouldn't make the news at all (compare to the NFL.) It's sad that hate and bigotry are the tolerated norm.

which brings us back to my stance. why the hell does anyone care what Tim Hardaway thinks of whites, jews, gays, etc? really?

Quote:

Quote:

If two black head coaches in the NBA were going up against each other in the Finals, it probably wouldn't make the news at all (compare to the NFL.)

im pretty sure the fact that SUPERBOWL was held during BLACK HISTORY MONTH... had something to do w/ it.

it was also the first time it happened in the NFL, ever. whereas, the nba has had previous black coaches win the championship.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't believe in the "born gay" argument

Neither do I. The whole phrase "I am gay" (or straight) perturbs me as well. Affection, intimacy, and sex are all choices we make, and it's the fact we have a choice that gives them their meaning and value. (You don't 'be' gay or straight, you 'do' gay or straight things).

Quote:

why the hell does anyone care what Tim Hardaway thinks of whites, jews, gays, etc? really?

Thank you. And why was he dumb enough to tell his opinion?