• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dion Glover. What's his future?

KB21

Over the Hawks past 6 games - all of them starts for Dion - Dion Glover has played real well. Glover is shooting 52% from the field and averaging 10.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.5 apg, and 1.3 spg over the past 6 games. What doesn't show up on the stats sheet is that he has been playing good defense. How much of this is because he's finally healthy for a change?

So, what do you think his potential with this team is?

Do you think he will be in the team's future plans if he continues to play like this, or does he have to show continued improvement? Will the Hawks dump him out of the starting line up when Ira Newble comes back?

Personaly, I feel Dion should start the rest of the season at the SG position. He's playing better defense and gives the team much more offensive production than Newble at that position. Any evaluations on his future should be made based on what he does the rest of the season as a starter.

I would like to see him continue his improvement throught the rest of the season. He might be seeing what his role is now. After sitting for an NBDL player for so long, I would think that he would pick up on things that Ira was doing and trying to add it to his game. I guess it would all depend on if he keeps up the play or starts to lack again. If that happens, we may see a rotation of SG starters or we might go back to just Ira. Another thing that might change the outlook would be if we trade for Snow. If that happens, sorry Glover, back to the bench you go.

peace.Jon

• Admin

I was calling for Glover to get some shots at starting after the 2-3rd week of the season. He has the ability to be almost as good a defender as Ira, and he's not offensive void that Ira is. I love Ira, and I think he's still going to be a better defender than Dion. But we don't need an A level defender who is a D- offensive player. Dion gives us a B level defender and a C level scorer, with the potential to be a B level scorer.

Just notice that since Dion came into the starting lineup, We've won more games than we've lost. Some of those against VERY GOOD teams. Dion has also had some very big games and hit some very big shots.

I think it will be a test for Stotts as a coach when Ira comes back. Will he be like Lon and give Ira his starting job back just because it "was his job" or will he stick with what has been working best for the team and continue to start Dion?

I've said this earlier, and others have echoed it, but Ira's a three - he guards them better and that's much more within his limited offensive capabilities.

He's a poor man's Marion, very poor man's but the same type of player. You put Marion at the 2, and you're in trouble.

I agree ever since Dion went to the starting lineup we have been winning. whats up with his 3's, he has been knocking them down, when he has his feet set he can hit that shot, he has been playing great D. He stuck with Miller like white on rice, yes he did have open jumpers, but Dion was on him and disturbed any rhythm he could of had. In the last 7 games we have let the star do his thing and still play good D on him ,but we arent letting the Garrity's, Miller's, Snow's, Mckie's beat us, and that has been the difference. In the past we have been beaten by these guys and looks like Stotts has corrected this.

Dion should start the rest of the season and have Corey back him up and have Ira back up Big Dog. Thats the best plan. I like Dion's and Corey's game at SG. They both play solid D, can take to the hole and can shoot jumpers.

• Premium Member

I still believe that he has more potential than anyone on the team.

And I'm glad that Ira got hurt so that we could see how stupid it was to play Ira in front of Dion. All of you who said "Dion represents Points off the bench"... Can be quiet now. He's not Ed Gray or Vinny Johnson. He has the potential to be NIQUE at SG. He has the Strength and now he has some defense to go with it. What he really needs is an opportunity. During Lon's yrs, I thought it would take him being traded for him to be able to show his potential, but hopefully, he can be used the right way and be a part of this Hawks team.

As far as Ball handling. I was at the Cleveland game. I think he handled the ball nicely in the end, but I wouldn't expect it all game... But who knows?

So Dion started the last 6 games and the Hawks won 5 of them. CC was activated 6 games ago and it could be said that the Hawks are 5-1 since he was activated, but he hasn't played even one minute. My point is that stats don't tell the whole story. Dion will not be on the Hawks roster next season unless he shows he can consistently produce from both ends and he can't do that. And he won't be here next year.

• Admin

He's well rounded. He can shoot, drive, handle, defend and rebound. He may not be all-world at any of them yet. But he presents a facet that this team hasn't had out there yet. He's doing what we felt DJ would be doing. He's shooting the highest 3pt% on the team and since he's been starting his defense and scoring have REALLY improved. You can see it on his face, he's enjoying himself out there. He doesn't look pressured as he has in the past.

I always had faith that Dion could be better than what we was last year. Heck, he was better earlier in the season. It's good to see him getting some time to show it.

I think the biggest difference in his play is that he's finally doing more than one or two of those things on a given night. He night be doing all of them, but he's been multi-faceted and playing with his head in the game.

Obviously much of it probably has something to do with this being the first time he's been playing at this point in the year, i.e., he's finally injury free for a decent amount of time.

If he wants to be resigned, or get a decent offer elsewhere, he HAS to continue to do what he's been doing lately. Playing within himself.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

My point is that stats don't tell the whole story. Dion will not be on the Hawks roster next season unless he shows he can consistently produce from both ends and he can't do that.

You're right... Stats don't show you. That's Hotlanta dudes failings... However, I will say this... The team runs better, plays better, with better continuity with Dion out there as opposed to Ira. [censored], with Benjamin out there as opposed to Ira.

As far as weather or not Dion will be here next yr, I think it's too early to say? If we have a run and Dion is a big part of that run, I think you are mistaken... AS FAR as him "not being able to produce on both ends?? I think you need to watch the games. He does a good job on both ends now. With more confidence, who knows what kind of player Dion will be ... even by March.

I said this before, I like the combo of Dion starting at SG and Corey backing him up. We have 2 guys out there, 6'5 & 6'6, that can defend, rebound, play solid D, shoot the ball well, drive to the hoop with success and aren't intimidated. Team wil make game plans to leave Ira open, they can't do that with Dion. Dion brings a different asset to the game, he is probably the best slasher on the team, thats something we need.

Now is his shooting as of late, well since he has been starting, is it a fluke? I don't think so, before coming off the bench Dion will try to prove himself and he will force the issue. Now he just lets the game come to him, he knows he will get 30 mpg and he will get his shots. Another thing I like about Dion is that he can really bring it in here against the trees. He can slash and is great around the basket. He is definitely the starting SG of this team. Ira is good for about 15 mpg to relieve Big Dog. Our offense is much more spreaded with Dion on the floor, it gives Big Dog and Reef space to do their thing.

But our winning is not only Dion's insertion into the starting lineup, it has definitely been the defensive intensity. We have been on guys and we dont let the non-stars beat us.

I think we should hold off on trades for now, maybe a little tweak here and there. But I am all to keep Theo in this team, he showed on sunday what he can do, he really took control of the game defensively. Intimidator? He11 Yeah. He did the same thing in Philly. Lets hold of on trades. Traing theo for Snow will only mess the good thing we have going on now. Snow will probably start and JT will be the SG, which I rather see him at the point with Dion at the 2. Lets hold off on trades, I like what I am seeing.

You're right... Stats don't show you. That's Hotlanta dudes failings..."

Maybe you should look in the mirrior...blah blah averages

this on bad teams so he must be a great player.The only

thing you have went by is stats so maybe you should

shutup.

Lakers will not make the playoffs.....hahahaha Your a

joke.

JTFan,

Teams still leave Dion wide open.

Heck, yesterday they left Big Dog wide open when they threw the triple teams at Reef. That was part of our success.

We were able to effectively involve Reef, without involving Reef. That is the intangible that he brings, teams gaurd him. And if he can consistently get the ball out... he can get people open looks.

Back to Dion, the only thing I see him doing too much of, but it hasn't hurt us yet... is standing underneath the offensive basket. He cuts and slashes, which is well and good, but he rests himself down there. A long rebound could lead to a fast break unless he is a little further out. Of course, he has shown tremendous speed and recovery in those situations. I hope it continues.

Play.

• Premium Member

All you do is watch the Boxscores and try to talk based on that? Watch a game man? If you watched the games, maybe some of what you say would be more reasonable...

Also, why is it that you ONLY post when there's bad things. I think the more the Hawks win, the less we would here from you? Is that being a fan.

Maybe the truth is that you are a fan of the Hawks LOSING...

All you do is watch the Boxscores and try to talk based on that? Watch a game man? If you watched the games, maybe some of what you say would be more reasonable..."

is this the same guy that said alot of [censored] last year

and didn't watch games the second half of the year?

All you do is toot your own horn and I call you out

on it.

"Also, why is it that you ONLY post when there's bad things. I think the more the Hawks win, the less we would here from you? Is that being a fan."

Because the things are bad.What is the win/loss record

over the last 4 years?