• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How much should we pay Smoove?

Diesel

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say let the market determine what he gets. I have no problem waiting and letting him become a rfa. No way would i resign him to a $13 million/yr deal since that is practically a max deal and nobody is likely to offer that.

I would offer 9-10 million per year. If he doesn't take it then make him wait.

• Premium Member

I think when you consider what he brings to this team, i see him as being more valuable than JJ.

As the future rolls around, he will be probably the best or second best guy out of his draft.

With Howard rumored to get 5 years 87.5 million, I think that giving Smoove 65 million over 5 is pretty good and reasonable. However, if we make him wait, I think he might take his game elsewhere. Losing and being underappreciated is a bad mix.

The math doesn't make sense though. Think about it.

JJ signed a max deal, $70 million for 5 years or $14 million/yr. Now all of a sudden the max goes up to $17.5 million per year? Doubt it.

They probably are talking about a 6 year deal for that amount.

• Premium Member

Well, one thing I know is that Orlando will have the money. Hell with Grant Hill off the books, they will have goobs of Money.

According to Coon, In 2006, Howard (same circumstance) would have been able to get 12.455 million max or 25% of Orlando's cap. However, we're talking about 2 years later & a rise in the amount that he can get... If the cap in 2008 is 58 million. That means he can make 14.5 million to start according to COON... 2006 cap was 53.135 per team up from 49 million the year before.

• Premium Member

I think Jefferson's future is all messed up.

I doubt Gordon gets big bucks from Chicago.

I don't know if I think Okafor will get big bucks either. Especially if Charlotte lands in the top 3.

Quote:

I say let the market determine what he gets. I have no problem waiting and letting him become a rfa. No way would i resign him to a $13 million/yr deal since that is practically a max deal and nobody is likely to offer that.

Letting the market dictate is how Phoenix lost JJ. They could have had him for 50 million the year before had they not been tight wads.

Quote:

Quote:

Letting the market dictate is how Phoenix lost JJ. They could have had him for 50 million the year before had they not been tight wads.

And $50 million is what we would be offering Smoove.

Quote:

I think Jefferson's future is all messed up.

I doubt Gordon gets big bucks from Chicago.

I don't know if I think Okafor will get big bucks either. Especially if Charlotte lands in the top 3.

How is Jefferson's future all messed up? He is playing great. I think he was just NBA player of the week/month. He is turing into a monster.

If Okafor does not get big bucks from Charlotte then I hope that the Hawks step up to the plate and pay him well. He is a touch undersized for a center but he plays big like Alonzo Mourning. He is exactly the type of player the Hawks need - enough offense to keep the defense honest and top level rebounding and defense.

Gordon will get paid well by someone. He won't get a max deal but with the way he is performing it is hard to say he is not worth the same type of money as JJ and Redd. On a per minute basis Gordon averages more points, rebounds and assists then JJ.

the only problem with Oakafor is that he is a walking injury. We have that in Speedy right now, so I don't know if Emeka is a good option, but this is two more years down the road so we'll know more by then.

I have no problem with the Hawks giving Josh over 10 mil a year. He is becoming a super player.

Quote:

the only problem with Oakafor is that he is a walking injury. We have that in Speedy right now, so I don't know if Emeka is a good option, but this is two more years down the road so we'll know more by then.

I have no problem with the Hawks giving Josh over 10 mil a year. He is becoming a super player.

I agree that there is a certain amount of risk in signing a guy like Emeka Okafor because of his history with injuries. But big men are so hard to come by that you have to gamble (you do not have to gamble on back-up point guards but I digress). If a guy like Okafor becomes available the Hawks need to make ever effort to get him. There are legions of young big men with injury problems (most without Okafor's production)that can still turn their fortunes around: i.e., Chandler, Nene, Curry, Amare, etc.

I wouldn't pay him over 5 million, he sucks, only idiots think he any good.. he is below average at best and is worth 5 at max... anymore for him is ricdicous.... I'll happily trade him for some role playing talent... he one diminsonal at best not really worth more then 4 mil a season to be honest.. from reading alot of post on this site I come to a realazation that most of ya'll have no clue about basketball... Joe Johnson is a great role player on a team that wants him be a star.... SW is a joke.. Marvin talented but needs to improve on all aspects of the game... Chillz is good but not on the right team for his skill set....

no player on the Hawks is worth 10 mil cept for Joe, pay anybody anymore then that a that organizational sucide and ya'll don't want that...

how is smoove one-dimensional?

how many players have EVER put up numbers like he has some games?

i think only 2 had in the past 20 years for one of his games a few weeks ago...

he can be a better, less-injured ak47 in the next year or two

lol @ one-dimensional when talking about smoove