• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How much should we pay Smoove?

Diesel

Quote:

Even if there is no team that can give Smoove 6 million dollars per year... That doesn't mean that you low-ball Smoove 'according to the Market". That leads to Smoove walking for a 1 year deal with somebody and then re-uping for his truth worth elsewhere.
worried.gif

First of all offering him 9-10 million after this season certainly isn't lowballing him. Secondly if he didn't want to resign with us he would have to take a 1 yr tender WITH US, and then he would have to try and find someone he liked who would offer him big bucks.

There aren't a lot of precedents for that among high dollar free agents.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Even if there is no team that can give Smoove 6 million dollars per year... That doesn't mean that you low-ball Smoove 'according to the Market". That leads to Smoove walking for a 1 year deal with somebody and then re-uping for his truth worth elsewhere.
worried.gif

yes you can, it's a business and he is not really worth much on the court, hopefully we will get a new GM and coach, Smoove will be cut and let another team chances of winning fade into obivion.

Quote:

So, JohnnyBravo is a lawyer, nbasuperstar40 is a scout. We've got the big black guy who gets laid every night making guest appearances in this thread, so I guess now would be the time to come out to you:

I'm really Chris Crawford. Having actually played the game professionally, I know more about it that you. And I say that Josh Smith is a force to be reckoned with. Not a superstar, but someone who is in the top 25 percent of the league. And also, for those of you who missed it, he was the Yahoo! Fantasy Sports number one point producer not too long ago. Not to correlate fantasy sports with real life, but there is a vague correlation between "not being awful" and "Being Number 1"

Don't hate on my success. Get out of your mom's basement, take your sily azz to college, go to law school for three years, pay BarBri $2,500 for bar prep, take the bar exam and pass it. No big deal.

• Moderators

nbasuperstar -

Quote:

Name ten teams in the NBA that would not sign him to a contract starting at higher than the $5M you say should be his cap. If he really sucks then it should be easy to find a third of the league who refuse to pay more than he is worth.

In your terms, over $5M would be "ridiculous" so finding 10 teams that would not pay $5,001,000 per year for him should be easy.

not that it will get much of a response as posts that are logical tend to fall by the wayside around here.......

The Hawks won't have to bid against many teams for J Smoove's services. Only a handful of teams will have the salary cap space to sign him outright.

While I'm all for locking Josh up early as he is a great player I think the Hawks have to be careful not to bid against themselves here.

• Premium Member

Let me mention 1 by name:

Orlando Magic.

The Magic will have more money than us.

Smoove and Howard would love to play together.

Who is to say that the Magic doesn't take a shot at Smoove?

I think they will and it would look very good to Smoove if we're not talking right.

The way Smoove is playing now, any team in the league would love to give a huge contract to a 22 year old(he'll be 22 at the end of next year) and getting better everyday player.

There will be teams that are under the cap by that time, pretty much every year a few teams clear cap space.

I think Smoove is worth more money than 5mil, but god damn that kid is dumb at times. 9 turnovers against the Knicks, i watched the game and he needs to stop dribbling the ball up the court after he gets the rebound. I am not sure if anyone told him this already or not but he needs to relaize it. It's anoying the [censored] out of me. Everytime i see him dribbling the ball up the cort it's an automatic turnover.

Quote:

Orlando Magic.

I think they will and it would look very good to Smoove if we're not talking right.

if Orlando want to raise the price obviously the Hawks have to match plus the 6th year.

the point is there won't be 5 teams trying to make a move on Josh Smith. there may be 1 or 2 outside of the Hawks.

btw the Hawks need to make a push for a player that is up for an extension soon so they can bring him in before they have to spend all their cap money on resigning Josh Smith.

Quote:

I think Smoove is worth more money than 5mil, but god damn that kid is dumb at times. 9 turnovers against the Knicks

Dwyane Wade had like 13 turnovers in a game not long ago. Smith is still 21, the turnovers will go down as he gets more experience. We don't have some1 who can guide the team (aka a point guard), so he's going to have the ball and be forced to create things a lot more often, which also results in more turnovers.

Quote:

i watched the game and he needs to stop dribbling the ball up the court after he gets the rebound. I am not sure if anyone told him this already or not but he needs to relaize it. It's anoying the [censored] out of me.
Everytime i see
him dribbling the ball up the cort it's an automatic turnover.

Keyword, everytime YOU see. He actually makes a lot of good things happen when he does this, JJ even complemented this a ton when Smoove got back, it's pretty much the only time we run the break. Sure he turns it over sometimes, but good things come out of it just as often.

Yeah AtlaS...I think JS would be glad to turn the ball over to our PG if we had a PG that we could trust to run a fast break and make the right passes.

He might need some reminding now and then...but as it stands why harp on it. Our PGs don't do any better on the break than him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

i watched the game and he needs to stop dribbling the ball up the court after he gets the rebound.

I think this is the problem that comes with a coach who doesn't know how to run. Smoove and the gang knows that we do better running, Smoove takes it upon himself to start the running process. We've been walking it up for 3 years and it has lead to stagnant offense. Most of our players are made to play in uptempo offenses.

I say fire Woody and get a coach in here who knows how to run.

In the meanwhile, I'm happy that Smoove brings the ball up fast. Eventually, he's going to learn to make good passes while bringing the ball up. Remember Smoove came straight out of HS.. To me, this is his third year at Indy. The kid is learning how to do things that nobody ever thought possible. By the end of this season, he might have developed, a drive through the lane with either a finish or a dish. I watch every game hoping to see him put it together!!

Quote:

Quote:

Orlando Magic.

if Orlando want to raise the price obviously the Hawks have to match plus the 6th year.

the point is there won't be 5 teams trying to make a move on Josh Smith. there may be 1 or 2 outside of the Hawks.

btw the Hawks need to make a push for a player that is up for an extension soon so they can bring him in before they have to spend all their cap money on resigning Josh Smith.

if atlanta said they wasnt gonna sign josh smith then they would be 8-10 teams wanting him because he is rare to come buy. i know some of the owners and they said they like josh smith.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Orlando Magic.

if atlanta said they wasnt gonna sign josh smith then they would be 8-10 teams wanting him because he is rare to come buy. i know some of the owners and they said they like josh smith.

congratulations on post #27

Don't insult Josh like that.

If we don't re-sign him there will be more than 8-10 teams interested in him. More like TWICE that number. 21 year old kid on the verge of all-stardom? Young kid with the ability to change the game on both sides of the floor? I think 75% of the league would want Josh Smith.

Can we afford to give him a max contract?