• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Portland and Atlanta???

Diesel

• Premium Member

IN an article I posted yesterday, it mentioned Atlanta not doing a Mourning trade because of better, younger options in PTL and Sea... well, I looked around and I found discussion on an interesting deal... with some reasons why... So Let's talk about this deal.

Portland sends Derek Anderson, Zach Randolph and a 1st round pick in 2003 for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

I think this deal is fair and it makes a lot of sense.

Here's why...

#1. PTL is tired of Kobe Stopper and is looking to get rid of him. They also have Pip on the trade blocks.

#2. PTL gets Reef and plays him at SF... Moves Bonzi back to SG.. NOW they have the biggest team in the NBA...

GP/Bonzi/Reef/Wallace/Davis.

#3. My guess is that Pippen may end up in Seattle... GP/Booth? If Seattle falls out of the West, they would want to build around Mason/Lewis. PTL has always fantisized about getting GP and this might be their chance. They also get a huge chunk of Cash at the end of the season in order to go after Oneal/Allen or whoever floats their boat.

#4. For us, Anderson is a steady player to play beside JT. Hes got PGing experience and he can gaurd 2s.

#5. Young Randolph could play PF for us. Signalling the end of his team behind Wallace.

#6. Having Reef also sets the table for Wallace to be moved if they have to move him. Woods is still in the wings.

I think it's a deal whereby everyone prospers.

I love that trade, I really do. D@mn you Diesel, I'm just savoring right now over that deal. Derek will compliment JT just great, Zach has really shown alot when they were down in Atlanta, plus he has really kept his weight down , which is great, plus a 1st round pick, love it.

Diesel did you really see that deal somewhere or just playing with our minds? I love that trade. Best trade you have ever come up with.

2 thumbs up for you bro. Where is Babs, make it happen.

• Premium Member

Here's the discussion. (From a PTL board).

In reply to:

Trade idea

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the Hawks seeming so ready to shake things up, we could try to get Shareef Abdur-Rahim from them. My idea is Derek Anderson+Zach Randolph and a 1st round pick in 2003 for Rahim. The salaries should almost match. The Hawks would get a decent SG to go along side Jason Terry, and a promising young PF who will be a good post threat for years to come.

Portland would get an awesome young SF, and could move Wells back to SG.

Our lineup:

Pippen/McGinnis

Wells/Daniels

Davis/Sabonis

Wallace/Patterson

Rahim/Woods

CeltClaymore

(2/3/03 10:05:00 am)

Reply Re: Trade idea

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh lordy, check out the Hawks forum, they are ready to ship out Rahim for crap from New York! And get this latest rumor, Rahim to the Spurs for STEVE SMITH! Bob Whitsett could not let this go down, it could shake the balance of power in the West to the spurs favor overnight. The Spurs always get the most out of their talent. With my trade idea, the Hawks at least get 2 serviceable players!

Here's the URL to the Smith for Rahim story.

www.woai.com/spurs/story....0C51241D11

talman

(2/3/03 10:54:03 am)

What in the sam-hill is Babcock thinking??

Assuming it's true (highly unlikely) that'd be one of the most lopsided trades that I can ever remember.

CrimsontheCat

(2/3/03 11:09:29 am)

Re: Trade idea

That's enticing. Losing DA would hurt Portland by ...

* losing a solid ball handler, and possibly our best replacement for Pip next year at point

* woresening their already horrid outside shooting

* losing a very good guard, capable of breaking down a defense off the dribble

* losing a stellar free throw shooter

SAR would make Portland an even better defensive and rebounding team. Not sure, how this would effect the offense.

The reason I wouldn't do this is that they're also losing Zach. The subtraction of them for SAR makes this impossible to do ... right now. I need to see how THIS team performs for the entire season, before making that kind of a move.

Now, if the Spurs are considering this, I might change my mind.

How much better would they be with SAR?

Edited by: CrimsontheCat at: 2/3/03 11:30:26 am

schilly

(2/3/03 11:22:24 am)

Well I am a big proponent fr bringing in SAR. Bringing him in would allow Wells to move to the SG spot as he truely has struggled at times at the 3. Lineup.

PG Pippen

SG Wells

SF Rahim

PF Wallace

C Davis

Good Lord! If we couldn't win the Championship with that then it aint in the cards and we would need to blow the whole dang thing up. What Atlanta wants though is expiring contracts.

EdwardO

(2/3/03 11:27:03 am)

I'd do DA + ZR for SAR. Throw in draft picks as necessary.

I like ZR a lot, and I think DA's our third-best player (behind Wallace and Bonzi; Pippen's produced better than them, but with his age and expectation of injury, that's how I rank them), but getting SAR for these two guys would be too sweet to pass up.

I know the team's got a good thing going, but adding a player like SAR isn't something that's possible every day, and if you can do it without messing with your best player(s), I'd say you should do it.

Ed O.

ripct

(2/3/03 11:49:02 am)

No question I would trade Anderson and Randolph for SAR. Talent wise, that deal might look somewhat reasonable if Atlanta decide they are giving up on SAR (I don't know why thet would). The problem is, I don't think Atlanta want to get back quality players that have some years left on their contracts. If that was the case, they would keep SAR. Atlanta is looking to trade for expiring contracts. I would love to get SAR, but what expiring contracts do we have to trade with Atlanta? One possibility is we would have to take on Alan Henderson's contract. What players do we have to trade that equals SAR and Henderson's contracts? Even if we do find the right combination of players to match SAR and Henderson's contracts, I'm afraid it wouldn't be a good idea, as it would tinker with our chemistry too much.

ripct

(2/3/03 12:09:42 pm)

CrimsontheCat

Quote:

The reason I wouldn't do this is that they're also losing Zach. The subtraction of them for SAR makes this impossible to do ... right now. I need to see how THIS team performs for the entire season, before making that kind of a move.

I think having SAR on the team would more than make up for the loss of Randolph. SAR is a good rebounder as well as a good post player. He's also only 26 year old, making him an ideal player to build for the future as well as a player that can help the team contend now.

I think your concerns about losing DA's ball handling is well reasoned, but I don't think losing DA's outside shooting is a real concern. DA is too much of a streaky (bad) shooter to be considered an outside threat. I think both SAR and Bonzi are good enough outsider shooters to make up for the loss of DA. Bonzi moving back to SG is going to be the key, IMO.

CrimsontheCat

(2/3/03 12:27:56 pm)

So with a lineup of Davis, Wallace, SAR, Wells, and Pippen, who backs up Wallace?

Patterson?

If Pip retires or goes down with an injury, do you trust Stoudamire or McInnis to fill in?

I think I'd be okay with McInnis as a short term, maybe even long term solution.

Where would Woods fit in then?

Who cares.

You know you all are convincing me that this would help the team. If any GM's bold enough to pull this off, it's Whitsitt.

Masbee

(2/3/03 12:56:58 pm)

Who backs up Wallace?

SAR.

SAR would start at the 3, but would slide over to the 4 when Wallace sits. When SAR rests, Wallace mans the 4, Patterson the 3.

Terrible

(2/3/03 2:44:59 pm)

Has anyone noticed that when Bonzi misses shots or doesn't get things going the way he likes he checks himself out of the game very much like Sheed does? This is not a good sign for hub player for your franchise. Although I think DA is fragile, he doesn't leave the court mentally when challenged. For that reason alone, I'd trade Bonzi and Zach to ATL for SAR over DA. DA has the ability to lead cause he's even tempered. I truly don't think Bonzi is after watching him for two years as a starter.

CrimsontheCat

(2/3/03 3:24:01 pm)

Terrible - I think there could be a number of reasons other than Bonzi not being up to the challenge. I haven't caught what you've seen in Bonzi, but consider, Bonzi's ...

* playing out of position

* probably injured

* carried a huge load with Wallace out

Despite this, he's managed to (in the past 10 games)...

* shoot only 2% points worse than DA

* average the same number of assists

* steels two more balls than DA a game

* grab 5 more boards than DA a game

His shooting from the line and 3-pt land is horrendous, and he's turning the ball over, but let's wait until after the All Star break (giving him some rest) before passing judgement. I think the dude's tired and injured.

schilly

(2/3/03 3:44:50 pm)

Another option to backup Sheed

Davis at the 4 Sabas at the 5.

What if Portland were to bring Dickau back too?

Atlanta trades:

PG Dan Dickau (2.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.9 apg in 9.2 minutes)

PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (20.1 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 38.4 minutes)

Atlanta receives:

PF Zach Randolph (7.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 16.0 minutes)

PG Antonio Daniels (3.6 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.4 apg in 12.8 minutes)

SG Derek Anderson (14.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.4 apg in 33.9 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +3.2 ppg, -0.7 rpg, and +1.4 apg.

Portland trades:

PF Zach Randolph (7.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 16.0 minutes)

PG Antonio Daniels (3.6 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.4 apg in 12.8 minutes)

SG Derek Anderson (14.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.4 apg in 33.9 minutes)

Portland receives:

PG Dan Dickau (2.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.9 apg in 22 games)

PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (20.1 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 47 games)

Change in team outlook: -3.2 ppg, +0.7 rpg, and -1.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

ThatBlazerGuy

(2/3/03 4:55:42 pm)

Reply RE

I love this trade and i LOVE SAR. I mean, we would finally be able to let sheed go gung-go from the 3 point line. I mean, i usea be very pissed off at sheed shooting 8 3's a night, because in my mind, we were better with him posting up, but if we got SAR, we would be able to let sheed shoot 8-12 3's a night. On D SAR would check SF's and Sheed would check PF's, but on offence, Sheed would be set up to take the role of the SF, and SAR would post up more and shoot short jumpers.

Here are some possible SAR trades

DA/Zach for SAR

DA/Zach/2003 1st Round Pick/Smith or Dudley if needed as filler for SAR/Dickau

Then, if the rumored Bender/Daniels deal went down, look at this roster...

pg-Pippen/McInnis/Damon

sg-Wells/Ruben

sf-SAR/Ruben/Woods

pf-Sheed/Bender

c-Davis/Sabonis

Minstrel

(2/3/03 4:58:50 pm)

I'd do DA + ZR for SAR in a heartbeat. Wait...that's too slow, I don't want to let a golden opportunity get away.

SAR is so underrated, but he's a golden talent. He's on the next level after McGrady, Bryant, Duncan and KG. Talent-wise, he's on a level with Wallace, Pierce, Marion etc. He's a guy who can play both small forward and power forward, he's rugged, he can shoot the mid-range shot, he can defend and change shots, he's athletic. He's a five-tool player: scores inside, scores outside, rebounds, defends, and passes.

And to get such a guy without losing any of the core (Wallace, Wells and Pippen)? Or the team's hard-to-replace center, Davis?

So we lose Randolph. Nice prospect, but let's not exaggerate his importance. His upside is severely limited by two things: his 'tweener size and skills, and his lack of athleticism. He brings hustle and heart, and will probably be a good player in the league because of it. However, the chances of him overcoming those two things to be a superstar are tiny. DA is an injury-prone shooting guard who's a mediocre long-range shooter. Good slasher and mid-range shooter, but you can shake a tree near a YMCA and twelve players who fit that mold will fall out. These are exactly the types of trades that having all these good-but-not-great players enable Portland to do...trade two decent players for a star. And a young one at that.

A future of Wallace, Wells, Abdur-Rahim and Woods is almost scary to contemplate. A present of Wallace, Wells, Abdur-Rahim and Pippen is fun to imagine.

If Whitsitt can make this trade happen, Portland only strengthens their present and their future. How often do you do that with one deal?

goldfinger2020

(2/3/03 5:24:52 pm)

I'd love this trade for Portland. The Hawks have been rumored to ship Jason Terry too. If we could trade DA, Zach, Smith, & maybe McInnis for SAF & Terry, that would be awesome. Terry can relieve Pip at point plus play the 2 if Bonzi stays hurt for most of the year.

DA is way too streaky & is injury prone. Terry is a baller & loves to play tough D. A future lineup of:

1-Jason Terry

2-Wells, Q

3-SAF

4-Wallace

5-Who knows??

That would be one of the best young lineups in the league.

Do we really want to mess with our team chemistry right now? We are playing great ball & we've showed we can beat anybody with the team we have right now. Do we want to start over & go 7-8 like we did at the beginning of the season?

TraderBob

(2/4/03 10:58:08 pm)

Just so you know

Portland sends DA $7.144 mill + Zach $1.09 mill = $8.23 mill

Can only take back about* 115% = $9.46 + $100K = $9.56 mill

Rahim makes $12.375 mill. They can take back less salary... but we can not take back more than about $9.56 mill

Add in McInnis at $3 mill and you get about $12.56 mill and it works

Would you do McInnis, DA and Zach for Rahim???

I would not want to loose DA or a promising Zach... too much in my opinion...

I like DA's GOOD attitude and his hustle and attacking the basket. I wish Bonzi would get back to that mode...

I would rather ship out other players...

and I would love Schilly's idea of getting Dickau too...

Rahim and Dickau for ?????

Damon in Atlanta just sems to roll off the toungue though.....

Portland sends Damon $13.5 mill and Bonzi $5.86 mill = $19.36 mill OUT

Can have a max of $16.43 mill in return

Portland receives Rahim $12.375 mill and Dickau $0.7 mill and another player $3.35 mill or less from ?

Portland sends Atlanta $3 mill cash and a draft pick

Atlanta needs to send out $16.83 to get Bonzi and Damon

Atlanta sends Rahim $12.375 mill and Dickau $0.7 mill to Portland $13.075 mill

Atlanta sends Mohammed $4.75 mill to ?

$17.825 mill OUT, works CBA wise

Other team sends a player to Portland with less than $3.3 mill salary

Also send a player of small value out...

They get Mohammed for $4.75 mill

Roster

PG Pippen, McInnis

SG Anderson, Daniels

SF Wallace or Rahim, Patterson, Woods

PF Rahim or Wallace, Randolph

C Davis, Sabas

I am a big fan of this trade Diesel. If you remember when Randolf came out and portand got him at 16 I think? I said he was the steal of the draft, and to this point he has done nothing to prove me wrong.

Jt would finally have a legitimate SG next to him so it should make him 2 times better. To me Randolf is a tougher version of SAR. He is very athletic to be 270 lbs and strong to boot.

This trade is gravy for all involved. Someone email this to Babcock so he can investigate the chances of this happening.

• Premium Member

Late 1st... = Better than Nothing. It's about pick no. 25... Can't complain about it. It would get us a prospect.

Randolph. Randolph is an up and coming PF. Maybe a guy who would replace Wallace in PTL. He's capable of about 16/8 right now if we were to give him starters minutes... The key is that He's CHEEEEEEP. We'd have the money to resign him once Hendu's contract is up.

Anderson. He's not a PG... Or is he? He's playing that in PTL right now and doing so well that they've forgotten about Stoudamire, McInnis, and Daniels for the time being. ON Top of all that... He's averaging 14.6 ppg, 4.4 apg. NOT bad... If you get that and you still have Terry... I think you have a Backcourt that can really do some damage.

There's one place where I agree with you. The losing is not SAR's fault. I guess better would be to get rid of Terry and get a real PG. Trading for NVE would be an instant solution and this three way with Miami and Dallas (to me) is a better solution because NVE/Glover/Grob/SAR/and Theo should reck shop......

However, this team of:

JT/DA/GRob/ZR/ and Theo isn't bad at all. In fact, I don't know which is better on paper?

• Premium Member

And try to sound convincing?

NO trade is a bonafide winner. Zach Randolph is not exactly a maybe. He has shown that he can play the PF position on this level and you are the same one that has been tuting his horn and saying that "PTL would never trade Zach"...

[censored] Chillz... make up your mind... Zach has all the sudden gone from "Untradable" and "important" to " a Maybe"?

How can you say that with a straight face??

Secondly, you realize it LOCKS up the backcourt. That's about 37 ppg of Pure PGing power. JT becomes a Gaurd because he has a PG back there with him. Defensively, it's not such a struggle anymore.

Not to mention a first.

You tickle me Chillz. YOu have gone from preaching "Zach is the future in PTL and a player that can't be traded".... to saying that Zach is a "Maybe" at PF???

Wow.

• Premium Member

I like this trade ALOT! ALOT! Atlanta gets a young player with potential and a role player...

Unfortunately, SAR for DA+ZR doesn't work alone, they would have to add either Antonio Daniels (expiring contract) or Jeff McInnis (2 years remaining) for Dan Dickau (to compensate for trading two ball-handlers to us)...

How would this look for next year?

PG: Anderson/McInnis

SG: JT/Steve Smith (would he sign for the vet's min to retire here?)

SF: Big Dog/Newble???/Draft Pick

PF: Randolph/Henderson

C: Theo/Nazr

We would then have THREE guys who could handle the ball, another 3 pt. shooter from off the bench, and a veteran in Henderson to backup the young guy at PF. Plus, the only offseason moves would be JT's extension and the backup SG/SF spot. Personally, I think Glover wouldn't be resigned because he is useless off the bench...The Portland & Indiana picks would give us two late 1st rounders...

Re: Dickau - I like him and think he will be a starter eventually, but if JT is kept long term and DA is added for four more years, then there is no place for him anyway...

According to Hoopshype, here's the salaries:

Atl - SAR: 3 years, 40.5M (ending in 2005)

Atl - Dickau: 4 years, 4M (team option for 2006)

Port - Anderson: 5 years, 42.2M (ending in 2007)

Port - Randolph: 3 years, 4M (not including player option for 2006)

Port - McInnis: 2 years, 6.6M

We would actually save money this year and next...can you say JT's contract?

• Premium Member

Well, actually adding McInnis doesn't work in the Trade Checker (I don't know why)...So it would have to be Anderson, Randolph, & Daniels for Rahim & Dickau....Remember that Dickau is from the Portland area, so he would be going home...

That would leave us looking for a backup PG in the offseason, but I would rather look for a BU than a starter...

Would they still include the 1st rounder???

• Admin

I never said that I PERSONALLY thought he was a star or going to be anything special. I said that Portland feels he's the future of their team. This is information I got from someone I personally know, who is closer to the game and its players than most of the people whose articles you read to gleen your "insight". So yes, TO ME, he's a maybe. I've seen nothing special from him. Portland management seems to have a differing opinion though.

I also always said that I'm sure they would consider moving him for a HIGH caliber player. They would be stupid to not consider that deal. But from what I've been told, Randolph is seen as their future. They aren't going to keep trying with that group forever. He is "untouchable" for that reason. What team wouldn't want to have a roster like Portland has. But also have someone that THEY consider to be star caliber in waiting?

So I wouldn't do it. I would LOVE to get DA here! He would fix our backcourt up nicely and allow us to keep JT. But is he worth it at the cost of Reef? NO. There just arent' enough post scorers in this league to give Reef up for DA, a pick and a maybe. I would rather take my chances moving JT and filler for a high quality SG and take my chances with a moderately skilled PG.

I love it.

-A JT/DA backcourt would be ideal. Anderson is 6'5", can handle the ball, and play D. Isn't that what we've wanted all along?

-In the 7 games Randolph started during Sheed's suspension, he averaged 12 and 6. If he got starter minutes for the remainder of the season, he would get us 16/8 next year, and be right there with J. O'Neal for best PF in the East in two years. As much as I like SAR, he gets abused in the paint by everyone. Randolph is 6'9", 250. He wouldn't get pushed around.

-A mid-20s pick probably wouldn't help us as long as Babs is in charge. If we had a GM who knew how to draft (B. Knight), we might could get a solid player out of it. If not, it could always come in handy in a trade.

• Premium Member

Diesel, I posted the DA+ZR+Daniels for SAR+Dickau on the Fanhome website (I am assuming that this is where you found the original thread), and most of the posters seemed to think its a great deal for Portland...maybe we could get more in return for SAR from them???

• Premium Member

We would have to get a first out of that deal. I am not sold on Daniels' "Talent".

However, 0ther than that... This deal doesn't seem bad for either team. PTL probably would play:

Pippen/Bonzi/SAR/Wallace/Davis.

Talking about BIg!!

If Pete decides to blow up the team, which I still have some doubts about, I really like that trade. It gives us young talent, an ending contract, and a first round pick. A JT/DA backcourt could be really effective. Given that scenario I would like to see the hawks do this trade to follow that up.

Atlanta trades: C Theo Ratliff (7.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 29.6 minutes)

C Nazr Mohammed (5.3 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.2 apg in 13.8 minutes)

Atlanta receives: C Erick Dampier (8.4 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.8 minutes)

C Derrick Coleman (7.9 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.0 apg in 22.5 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +3.1 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and +0.8 apg.

Golden State trades: C Erick Dampier (8.4 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.8 minutes)

PF Danny Fortson (3.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 12.5 minutes)

Golden State receives: C Nazr Mohammed (5.3 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.2 apg in 26 games)

C Todd MacCulloch (7.1 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 0.5 apg in 42 games)

Change in team outlook: +0.8 ppg, -2.7 rpg, and -0.7 apg.

Philadelphia trades: C Todd MacCulloch (7.1 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 0.5 apg in 19.4 minutes)

C Derrick Coleman (7.9 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.0 apg in 22.5 minutes)

Philadelphia receives: C Theo Ratliff (7.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 48 games)

PF Danny Fortson (3.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 16 games)

Change in team outlook: -3.9 ppg, +1.1 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Atlanta, Golden State, and Philadelphia being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Atlanta, Golden State, and Philadelphia had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of

the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I'm not sure if Philly or Golden State would do it, but I think Philly gets the best talent, and Golden State will save money both in the short term and the long term. This will give us the money to resign JT, as well as two vets for the minimum and still gives us some size down low, without going over the luxury tax threshold A starting lineup of:

JT/DA/Big Dog/Randolph/Damp

might be very dangerous. We would also have two draft picks (Portland and Indiana) which, while late, would be able to provide some depth in addition to Glover and Henderson. If the Hawks could sign Kenny Anderson and Steve Smith to the veteran minimum, and get some size in the draft, that team could compete for a playoff spot in the East.