Stop feeling sorry for yourselves as Hawk fans

TheNorthCydeRises

• Premium Member

Quote:

It is incredable for Adults to go the lengths of emotions about a Sports Team. It is Sports. It is supposed to enjoy. It is entertainment. It should not be life or death. Some post as it is life or death. That is sad. People come here and vent Hate towards people because a difference of opinion, gosh. People (some call themselves Christians) call management out of their names. It is insane what is said here.

These guys making their living and youse guys having ulcers. It's just sports. Enjoy the ride.
elefant.gif

Couldn't agree more.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Hawks are a bit like the "Baby Bulls" were. A lot of talent but noone that really knows how to win. The team needs a couple of vets to show the way like Ben Wallace is doing this year (admittedly with a team that has grown a LOT in stature). You cant just wait for these guys to suddenly make huge strides. The culture of losing has turn around. So get a veteran enforcer and another highly skilled vet and pay. Then the cycle can change.

And I also agree with what Gray, Seano, and GSU said.

When people are talking about trading our young talent, you don't trade them to get MORE young talent. You trade them for proven vets. The key word there is PROVEN. Not guys who we think that can play ( i.e. - Ridnour ). Guys who we know can play, but just couldn't take their current team to the next level.

That's the pattern of the NBA. Build up your talent base through the draft and see if the vets you add to the team can get you to the next level.

So when people talk about trading Marvin or Chill, they shouldn't try to get another inconsistent young player with upside . . or a draft pick with upside. Get a good starter who may have worn out his welcome on his current team.

Quote:

Because other than the four straight 50+ loss seasons (longest in the NBA), missing the playoffs for eight years in a row (longest in the NBA), not drafting an All-Star since Hall and Oates was a headline act (longest in pro sports), and not making it to an NBA Finals since JFK was in office (longest in the NBA), this franchise is on the up and up. After all, the leadership being shown in the front office and ownership box has been a shining example of how winning organizations are supposed to be run. Yeah, right.

Short of this team packing up and leaving town, this is as low as I've ever seen them since they jobbed out in 1975 to draft David Thompson with the #1 pick, only for him to bolt to the ABA.
Sorry if I sound pessimistic but a fella has to have MORE proof that things are going to be better other than saying that the young guys will one day come around. I want that day to occur while I'm still alive.

Just charging the season off to injuries just doesn't fly with me.

Just curious Dejay . . when did you start feeling like this about this season?

Did it start in November and early December, when this team was 8 - 9, and looking like they can hang with anybody in the league?

Did it start when people started dropping like flies from mid-December to mid-January, and we only won like 2 out of 14 games in that stretch?

And let me pause right here. Because the night we lost to the Hornets . . a Hornets team that were basically without all of their starters . . just about everybody, including myself, damn near went off the deep end.

Then we turn right around, get Smoove back, and beat the Pistons.

So what then? Was the team still in shambles at the all-star break, even though we'd won 11 out of 18 games, and had everybody back on the roster, with the exception of Speedy?

Did it start after the all-star break, when we lost 8 out of 9 in our toughest strech of the year on the schedule, with every game with the exception of road games at Chicago and Dallas basically coming down to the final 2 minutes?

Did it start after the March 4 game home win streak, which cut the 8th seed decifit to 3.5 games?

Or did it start after we lost 9 of 10 games after that streak?

When did this collection of Hawks become the "low point" of the franchise?

Please.

There's no way any Hawk fan can say that he feels worse about the Hawks now, than 4 years ago, when we had veteran players here constantly finding ways to lose. And that team was healthy ( Big Dog, JT, Reef, Ratliff, Glover, etc )

You're trying to tell me that this Hawks team, as it is right now . . even if we don't add anybody . . is going to REGRESS? Come on now. This is the type of stuff I'm talking about.

Fans knew that this wasn't going to be a quick fix. And the injuries have delayed our progress ( much like it has delayed Milwaukee's ).

When you look at the East right now, before the draft, Milwaukee and Atlanta are the teams that should be watched in the East. When healthy, both team can win 1/2 of their games next year . . or more.

Cry and sulk about the Hawks if you want to. The future is nowhere near dim or bleak for us.

Quote:

Quote:

Losing is indeed the problem, it has left only a handful of posters here, left smacking of the obvious....losing. What insightful genius. This Board USED to be one of the more insightful and informative. Maybe some new people will start posting here, when the obvious does not happen next season.

the other half is the agenda driven posters that remain who beat the same subjects over the head over and over again with a rubber mallet.

there are 3 or 4 posters that put up the majority of posts on Hawksquawk and I don't have to read their posts to know what they've written.

Right on the money GSU.

Quote:

Because you simply don't get it.

We are AT BEST a mediocre team in the coming years and at worse we remain LESSER mediocre team. We have nowhere to go but nowhere without a miracle.
This is the NBA! Mediocrity is a graveyard and you like what you see!?!

Our rebuild is on life support, the people that have tried to take it's life are not only free but continue to preside over it's care, The court may in effect pull the plug on it anyhow with 4 year contract limits, etc., and you want us to be grateful for the tihings we have been given. Good work Halmark.

W

Walter, you're like those UT Vol fans that constantly complain about the program, no matter what they do. Even when expectations aren't nearly supposed to be high, you're the type of fan that has them waaaaaaay too high in the first place.

As Dennis Green would've said about the Hawks . .

"The Hawks are who we thought they were."

So if you know what the team is, why the constant complaining?

Like GSU said, it's the same thing . . day, after day, after day, after day, after day, after day, after day, after day, after day, after day

after day ..

you get the picture?

As long as you're going to be the poster child of negativity on this board, I'll be here to counteract what you say, and put a positive spin on it.

LOL . . the forces of negativity and evil shall not prevail.

For the rest of you, I'll ask again . . would you feel better about the Hawks if they won 36 - 40 games, like they probably would've won this year, barring all of the injuries?

Or better yet, 36 wins, even with the injuries?

Or does that 30 win mark blind you in such a way that you can't even see that we still can be a .500 team right now, despite our deficiencies?

I haven't given up on the Hawks. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I'm going to do what you probably do every year and that is not buy season tickets. I guess the fact that you don't have tickets means you never were much of a fan, at least by your own logic.

BTW, if you want my seats they are still very much on the market. Just fork over $11,000 and they are all yours. Plus, you get a parking pass. If you do buy my old seats you may discover that you actually care about whether or not they are well coached. You may also care that BK blows draft picks as well because when your financially invested it's a little different. Remember, even though you will discover that you just pissed away some pretty good coin that it's only a game. And it's only money. Your money.

I have a hunch that it won't be you that sits in those seats next year.

Quote:

it has left only a handful of posters here, left smacking of the obvious....losing. What insightful genius. This Board USED to be one of the more insightful and informative.

Very well put. I agree on the drastically changed quality of the board.

Quote:

BTW, if you want my seats they are still very much on the market. Just fork over $11,000 and they are all yours. Plus, you get a parking pass.

Hahaha, something tells me your hunch will come true. This is the surest bet I've seen since this one.

11 Gs, no wonder you're so angry. It's official, you're the one guy on here with a legitimate right to be so pissed off.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Even when expectations aren't nearly supposed to be high, you're the type of fan that has them waaaaaaay too high in the first place.

So, us being the lowly Hawk fans, we should dumb down our expectations even more so that 30 wins will seem like some sort of masterful acheivement. Nice. That's how losing dynasties are made. Acceptance of incompetence and failure.

My expactations were for 34 wins. That's just about right. However, when you rebuild you are rebuilding to contend and our rebuild is on a ventilator.

Quote:

LOL . . the forces of negativity and evil shall not prevail.

Would you not agree that "they" have to this date? Then perhaps you should LOL at yourself.

Quote:

For the rest of you, I'll ask again . . would you feel better about the Hawks if they won 36 - 40 games, like they probably would've won this year, barring all of the injuries?

They wouldn't have won that many games.

Quote:

Or better yet, 36 wins, even with the injuries?

We on 30 games "with the injuries". Why do we need a hypothetical that isn't any different from our actual? All that does is make our actual look worse.

Quote:

Or does that 30 win mark blind you in such a way that you can't even see that we still can be a .500 team right now, despite our deficiencies?

LOL. We're blind because we don't see a .500 team? You are a fringe, non-sensible ASG and BK apologist.

W

It started when 4-1 became 30-52 while teams that didn't have as good a start finished with much better records. In fact, it started before the season started when I and others knew that the team wouldn't compete for a playoff spot (and being only four games back in February doesn't count) ONCE AGAIN. Sure other teams had the horses to be better than ours but that isn't what we should expect from our guys, shouldn't we? After all, we've been the youngest team in the league since...since...

Pro basketball and the Hawks aren't my entire life as evidenced by my posting less than 300 replies despite being here since the forum started. I've had my case of myopia as everyone else (the announcement of the SAR trade comes to mind) but when there are bad moves being made by my favorite basketball team, I'm not the one to say 'everything's okay, relax, we'll be good one day, let's wait on the young guys to jell'. I simply have higher expectations than being estatic about 30 win seasons, especially when this 'process' of BK's has taken forever and a day.

The fact is that this franchise should be much further along in this 'process' than many will admit to. We should at least be talking about the playoff run we're having or had instead of relying on ping-pong balls to bail out the GM for his jacked up draft picks. If that's being 'negative' or being a cynic, then let it be known then.

Spinning excuse after excuse about why our team stinks out loud isn't what this forum is about. It's about sharing our opinions on our favorite pro basketball team, even it isn't what you'd like to read or hear.

GAME, SET, MATCH.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The reality is the Hawks have the worst ownership situation in professional sports history, have a coach and GM with terrible track records and have only 2 bona fide NBA starters.

But other then that, the team is in great shape!

Winner.

Quote:

Quote:

BTW, if you want my seats they are still very much on the market. Just fork over $11,000 and they are all yours. Plus, you get a parking pass.

Hahaha, something tells me your hunch will come true. This is the surest bet I've seen since this one.

11 Gs, no wonder you're so angry. It's official, you're the one guy on here with a legitimate right to be so pissed off.

I agree. Except for one thing, Lascar. You forgot the part about you being a effing retard. I showed up. I loved playing with and against Exodus. There were 4 of us. I didn't see you there. Not so funny now, is it?

What type of person are you? I'm trying to show a little friendship here as Hawks fans, trying to get a conversation about playing going. How can you respond to my thread about playing ball and then post this.

What an @ss you are. And a dumb one.

Here... refresh your memory.

Quote:

Where was everyone? ATL set it up and we had 4 people. C'mon guys! We talk about basketball everyday, we might as well play a little. It was a lot of fun. ATL, Ex, BossTweed and myself had a nice run.

I've got to say, Ex knows the game. We were the last two to leave the gym out of the squawkers. We did man up, and while doing so neither of us scored on the other. I Hope he can play again next time he's in town.

BossTweed can board, people! He was in the right spot on many occasions. Lo and Shelden could learn a thing or two about fighting for a rebound from Tweed.

ATL BALLER is solid. He can knock down the 3. Shoots it like Chris Crawford, I think!

All in all, it was a blast. Let's do it again, and try to get 10 next time!

Quote:

Troy & Boss, you're generous-- [Re: TroyMcClure]

#203786 - 03/17/07 11:47 PM Edit Reply Quote

I didn't bring my A-game - or any game for that matter! I'm heading back to the gym tomorrow, to sort things out. Alot of work to do...

As for you guys:

Troy - very nice fundamentals, sweet stroke, does all the little things well.

Boss - a load to handle down low. Nice work around the hoop - tough boards, perfect putbacks.

Exodus - an absolute beast. Lock down defender, great strength and quickness.

I'm up for another game anytime soon - just let me know. I need to redeem myself. And yes - we expect a better Sqauwk showing!

p.s. DJ, thanks for showing up. After you left, someone let us in the gym. Next time we'll see what ya got!

Damn, TP! I didn't know they were fleecing you for that much. You made the right move.

Hahaha. He's never met you but got so tired of you saying things like "I bet you never played ball" that he bet you $100 and spotted you 8 points out of 21 to shut you up. And you didn't take the bet. That's that. If you weren't the one involved, you would see how funny it is that one person keeps calling another out about not being a ball player and then refuses to bet when challenged.

The fact that you guys went to play while I was out of town is irrelevant, you refused to bet, which was a sure thing from the get go, and that was my point in the previous post. I'm sure you're a nice guy in real life. This is the internet and on here you act like a jack@ss for the most part. As do most posters on here. You take this stuff way too seriously.

But hey I'll extend the same bet to you that exodus did. $100, I'll spot you 8 points, you name the place and time any weekend I'm in town. I'm in town this weekend and badly out of shape. Or maybe you don't want to win because you're tanking.

Quote:

How can you respond to my thread about playing ball and then post this.

Because the one has nothing to do with the other. I'll play with anyone anytime, and wouldn't mind meeting anyone on here. That doesn't change the fact that exodus' bet was hilarious.

That was a heckuva fleecing. I could have put that money in a college fund or something. What have I been thinking?

Now everybody knows why I'm so bitter. LOL.

I sat right behind Woody so I know quite a bit about what goes on during games. I know Woody's glad I'm gone. I remember one time last year where he forgot about Smith for about a 5 or 6 minute stretch and Smith had it going good that night. I finally screamed at him to get Smith back in the game. It was like he had brainfarted and forgot him, then realized he had been out too long. The funny thing was after I yelled he looks down and gets Smith.

I remember thinking, there is a great coach for you. Forgets his ace that night and then immediately responds to a fan in the stands. I won't miss Ole Woody I can tell you that much.

Quote:

Hahaha. He's never met you but got so tired of you saying things like "I bet you never played ball" that he bet you $100 and spotted you 8 points out of 21 to shut you up. And you didn't take the bet. That's that. If you weren't the one involved, you would see how funny it is that one person keeps calling another out about not being a ball player and then refuses to bet when challenged.

The fact that you guys went to play while I was out of town is irrelevant, you refused to bet, which was a sure thing from the get go, and that was my point in the previous post. I'm sure you're a nice guy in real life. This is the internet and on here you act like a
jack@ss
for the most part. As do most posters on here. You take this stuff way too seriously.

But hey I'll extend the same bet to you that exodus did. $100, I'll spot you 8 points, you name the place and time any weekend I'm in town. I'm in town this weekend and badly out of shape. Or maybe you don't want to win because you're tanking.

Quote:

Because the one has nothing to do with the other. I'll play with anyone anytime, and wouldn't mind meeting anyone on here. That doesn't change the fact that exodus' bet was hilarious.

You are a loser with no friends. I have plenty. They even play basketball with me. How about you find 4 guys and I get my 4. Let's see who wins.

I accepted the competition with Ex. His argument that unless playing for money, it was pointless, is well... pointless. Who makes a bet over an athletic competition with someone on the internet that he's never seen? Who does that? Oh, yeah. @ssholes who aren't as good as they think they are and have no respect for anyone.( except EX, he is honest with his assesment of his game) Just assuming that I would not show. You're a chump. Read the Squawk. Come to my gym anytime. You may kill me, but I don't give a sh!t if you're 7'3", it won't be easy for you. As far as the pureness of the sport - shooting, I'm sure you leave much to be desired. You see, when you know the game like I do, these ignorant responses from chumps like you, do nothing more than motivate a little guy like me.

By the way, I did accept the bet for money, provided it went to Hawksquawk. He doesn't want to do that. His choice.

Quote:

I'm sure you're a nice guy in real life. This is the internet and on here you act like a
jack@ss
for the most part. As do most posters on here. You take this stuff way too seriously.

Dude, this is real life! You are a tool. I'm the same person on this board that I am in your "real life". Perhaps that's the problem. Some of us are real, coming from a real place with our opinions and thoughts. People like you aren't. You're on the "internet". Wooo!

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Here's how they are related. I am trying to organize the event(s), you insult me, and distort the truth while doing so, and expect me to be cool with you? See, this is real life. When someone is a tool like you, I don't talk to them, I don't play ball with them, etc.

The only reason I talk to you here is so other "real" Hawks fans will see you for what you are. We don't need any part of you and your 30 win seasons. Sorry if I'm too serious about wanting the Hawks to not suck as hard as your intellect does.

Is this a WWE throwdown I'm hearing? If so, I can be had for the right price. I can shoot from 30 feet on in, the sweetest stroke you ever saw. Plus, I get the ball where it needs to go, the Nash of the ATL plagrounds.

I can play for either side, just let me know.

Lascar, I think you have been called out. I wanna see how this develops.

Quote:

You are a loser with no friends. I have plenty. They even play basketball with me. How about you find 4 guys and I get my 4. Let's see who wins.

See, this is what I'm talking about. If we were to have met in person, there is no way you would just say I was a loser with no friends when you know nothing about me. But on the internet, everyone's mister tough guy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's funny is all.

But anyhow I'll put a squad together to go against yours, no problem. 5 on 5 or 3 on 3. Game to 15 for $100. Of course we'll have to schedule when everyone's in town, a lot of my friends travel a lot.

Quote:

I accepted the
competition
with Ex. His argument that unless playing for money, it was pointless, is well... pointless.

Uhh, no it isn't. When you act like Mr "I can play ball - I bet you've never played ball in my life" and someone calls you out on it, you should back it up. If there's nothing to lose, there's nothing on the line.

Quote:

Who makes a bet over an athletic competition with someone on the internet that he's never seen? Who does that? Oh, yeah. @ssholes who aren't as good as they think they are and have no respect for anyone.

Well apparently that would include both you and exodus since you're now saying you'll bet with me. But I'm sure for some reason the @sshole part doesn't apply to you or exodus.

Quote:

You see, when you know the game like I do, these ignorant responses from chumps like you, do nothing more than motivate a little guy like me.

Oh man that's too funny. This isn't a Disney movie. You're either better than someone or you're not.

Quote:

By the way, I did accept the bet for money, provided it went to Hawksquawk. He doesn't want to do that. His choice.

He proposed a bet, you said no. Then you offered another bet that you knew he wouldn't take because there were no winners.

Quote:

Dude, this is real life! You are a tool. I'm the same person on this board that I am in your "real life". Perhaps that's the problem. Some of us are real, coming from a real place with our opinions and thoughts. People like you aren't. You're on the "internet". Wooo!

Yeah ok. We'll see if you're talking to me like this in real life. I'm sure you go to people you don't know and tell them you know they have no friends. I'm sure Diesel goes around talking in the third person and telling his friends what the Dieselputer came up with. I'm sure Walter repeats the same sentence over and over and over with his friends. As a matter of fact, let's look at your two first posts, I'm sure this is how you talk to people the first time you meet them:

Quote:

What's laughable is
that you can't refute one point he makes, and still you say Bk is better. You have already said that you were young in the 90's.
You don't know what you're talking about. It's people like you that make this town have a bad fan reputation. You're too stupid to know we used to be in the playoffs.
Virtually every year. Usually a 4 or 5 seed. We are in our 8th year of misery.
Any REAL fan knows
Babcock was a good NBA Gm. He gambled at the end and failed. I was not his biggest fan, but look at the numbers.
Are you an idiot?

Anyone who disagrees isn't smart enough to be in the conversation. Look at the numbers.

Like it or not people behave differently online behind the security of anonymity, including yourself mr. "I have limitless NBA knowledge", "I am more of a winner at basketball than you", and "I have friends and you don't".

Quote:

Here's how they are related. I am trying to organize the event(s), you insult me, and distort the truth while doing so, and expect me to be cool with you? See, this is real life. When someone is a tool like you, I don't talk to them, I don't play ball with them, etc.

Yes, I see, you only go play ball with good friends like exodus who was calling you McClown and challenged you to a bet because he was so tired of you acting like such an @ss.

I made a one sentence reference to the original bet because it was funny and you got your panties in a twist. If you can't handle a little mockery the internet might not be the place for you. The basketball discussion on this board has mostly gone to crap over the past year and I mostly come here to get a few laughs and see the latest news. The exodus challenge gave me a good laugh.

Quote:

Quote:

See, this is what I'm talking about. If we were to have met in person, there is no way you would just say I was a loser with no friends when you know nothing about me. But on the internet, everyone's mister tough guy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's funny is all.

But anyhow I'll put a squad together to go against yours, no problem. 5 on 5 or 3 on 3. Game to 15 for $100. Of course we'll have to schedule when everyone's in town, a lot of my friends travel a lot.

Quote:

I accepted the
competition
with Ex. His argument that unless playing for money, it was pointless, is well... pointless.

Uhh, no it isn't. When you act like Mr "I can play ball - I bet you've never played ball in my life" and someone calls you out on it, you should back it up. If there's nothing to lose, there's nothing on the line.

Quote:

Who makes a bet over an athletic competition with someone on the internet that he's never seen? Who does that? Oh, yeah. @ssholes who aren't as good as they think they are and have no respect for anyone.

Well apparently that would include both you and exodus since you're now saying you'll bet with me. But I'm sure for some reason the @sshole part doesn't apply to you or exodus.

Quote:

You see, when you know the game like I do, these ignorant responses from chumps like you, do nothing more than motivate a little guy like me.

Oh man that's too funny. This isn't a Disney movie. You're either better than someone or you're not.

Quote:

He proposed a bet, you said no. Then you offered another bet that you knew he wouldn't take because there were no winners.

Quote:

Yeah ok. We'll see if you're talking to me like this in real life. I'm sure you go to people you don't know and tell them you know they have no friends. I'm sure Diesel goes around talking in the third person and telling his friends what the Dieselputer came up with. I'm sure Walter repeats the same sentence over and over and over with his friends. As a matter of fact, let's look at your two first posts, I'm sure this is how you talk to people the first time you meet them:

Quote:

What's laughable is
that you can't refute one point he makes, and still you say Bk is better. You have already said that you were young in the 90's.
You don't know what you're talking about. It's people like you that make this town have a bad fan reputation. You're too stupid to know we used to be in the playoffs.
Virtually every year. Usually a 4 or 5 seed. We are in our 8th year of misery.
Any REAL fan knows
Babcock was a good NBA Gm. He gambled at the end and failed. I was not his biggest fan, but look at the numbers.
Are you an idiot?

Anyone who disagrees isn't smart enough to be in the conversation. Look at the numbers.

Like it or not people behave differently online behind the security of anonymity, including yourself mr. "I have limitless NBA knowledge", "I am more of a winner at basketball than you", and "I have friends and you don't".

Quote:

Yes, I see, you only go play ball with good friends like exodus who was calling you McClown and challenged you to a bet because he was so tired of you acting like such an @ss.

I made a one sentence reference to the original bet because it was funny and you got your panties in a twist. If you can't handle a little mockery the internet might not be the place for you. The basketball discussion on this board has mostly gone to crap over the past year and I mostly come here to get a few laughs and see the latest news. The exodus challenge gave me a good laugh.

this board has almost hit rock bottom.

hopefully.