My plan if we get the second pick

Vafan

If we get the second pick, I think we should trade it. How about the second pick, speedy, lo, for Amare Stoudamire and our 1st round pick in 2008? Phoenix get Durant and unloads Amare's contract. With the 11th pick, we just pick up pg. I would even add ZaZa. Let's face it, Durant is a great player. But, I like Amare even more. He fills our immediate need for an inside presence.

Quote:

If we get the second pick, I think we should trade it. How about the second pick, speedy, lo, for Amare Stoudamire and our 1st round pick in 2008? Phoenix get Durant and unloads Amare's contract. With the 11th pick, we just pick up pg. I would even add ZaZa. Let's face it, Durant is a great player. But, I like Amare even more. He fills our immediate need for an inside presence.

If we get the #2 pick, we should at least TRY this lineup, to see how it would look.

PG - Speedy ( or Law )

G - JJ

F - Marvin ( or Durant )

F - Durant ( or Smoove )

F - Smoove ( or Shelden )

Most of you guys want this team to run, and seem to be in love with the Phoenix/Golden St./Memphis style of play.

Well, this is the lineup to do it with. You run that lineup out on the court, and see if people can guard us offensively. I've always said that if we can't find an adequate guy to put in the middle, that Smoove could very well be that guy that ends up at the 5 spot. Play him as a very athletic 5, and hope his "on the ball" defense becomes more solid.

Even if this lineup doesn't start games, we'd definitely see that lineup in the game at some points, if we acquired Durant.

We'd have to be a scramble defensive team that plays a lot of zone, but this lineup could get away with it.

Athletically, there would be very few teams that would match up with us.

If the lineup didn't work, we could always trade away a few guys before the trade deadline ( or even as early as Christmas ), to get a possible big man to fill out the lineup.

But you DON'T trade Durant, without seeing what you possibly have first. And you DON'T trade any of our kids, until we could see how that lineup could possibly benefit us.

Quote:

For some reason, I think the coach actually likes Marion more than Amare. Plus, I heard the owner is really cheap. Durant is cheaper than Amare.

You think the Phoenix owner is cheap? What about our owners?

There is no way they would be able to make that trade because of the ownership dispute and the size of Amare's contract.

Quote:

For some reason, I think the coach actually likes Marion more than Amare. Plus, I heard the owner is really cheap. Durant is cheaper than Amare.

Come on Van. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this board in quite a while. Marion is the odd man out in Phoenix, especially since they signed Diaw to that laughable contract. At some point, he's going to have to be given a chance to earn that money.

The Suns would NEVER make it to the Finals, if they traded Amare. Amare at least keeps that team competitive for the next 5 years, regardless of what happens to Nash health wise.

As far as Shawn goes, he only has 2 more years minimum in Phoenix. That is, if he doesn't opt out after next year. I know personally that Shawn isn't necessarily happy with the non-recognition that he gets in Phoenix, with Nash and Amare always in the spotlight. And he's been a lightning rod for Phoenix fans in that past, for his playoff disappearances.

If Phoenix gets knocked out tonight, don't be surprised if the Suns don't try to deal Shawn in the offseason.

Amare is one of the few truly dominant players in the NBA. He would be the #1 pick in this draft, knowing what we do about him.

You could argue Phoenix would trade him for Durant because they keep falling just short. Perhaps they'd like to gamble on greatness. I think they might make such a trade once Nash is on the decline, but right now, they have a closing window in which to win a championship. Durant will not immediately be better than Amare, especially since Amare scores with such great efficiency.

Also, the point has already been made that Phoenix does not need our 2008 1st in this trade, since they already have it.

Quote:

Hmm, maybe the wording in my post is confusing. I wanted Amare and the rights to our pick back which should be in 2008.

your wording was fine.

I'd keep the pick and take Durant unless you could unload it along with some matching salary for a JO or Garnett type player.

that would mean a team like Indy or Minny would be taking on alot of salary baggage from us (starting with Speedy) in return for getting the best player to enter the draft since probably Lebron. that may be a short term fix though.

I think you take Durant and let the chips fall where they may. In fact the smarter move would probably be to keep Durant, draft a PG at #11 and let Pachulia roam the paint for another year.

you guys keep talking about contending over just trying to make the playoffs. if that's the case you take Durant and never look back.

If the Hawks got lucky enough to get the highest pick they've had since Ford was running the show in D.C., whoever is left between Oden and Durant is the option. Its the ONLY OPTION unless they're completely blown away with a trade offer that includes a perennial All-Star in his prime. If a team like Milwaukee wins the lotto and takes Durant, we take Oden. If not, we take Durant and send MW on the first plane out of town for the highest bid we can get.

Quote:

If the Hawks got lucky enough to get the highest pick they've had since Ford was running the show in D.C., whoever is left between Oden and Durant is the option. Its the ONLY OPTION unless they're completely blown away with a trade offer that includes a perennial All-Star in his prime. If a team like Milwaukee wins the lotto and takes Durant, we take Oden. If not, we take Durant and send MW on the first plane out of town for the highest bid we can get.

i'd hold onto Marvin.

Quote:

i'd hold onto Marvin.

I think we'd have to trade him. Drafting Durant makes him a backup for the rest of his career in ATL. Being a #2 pick, we'll never get close to the value for him if he remains on our squad. He'll end up resigning somewhere else, or we'll end up trying to squeeze a first out of someone before his contract is up. Trading him now is the best option since his value is still somewhat high and he has the potential.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

i'd hold onto Marvin.

Why hold onto MW if we get Durant? We'd have 4 lottery pick prospects at forward AND JS. It's not the best 2 positions filled. It's the best team built.

W

Quote:

If we get the #2 pick, we should at least TRY this lineup, to see how it would look.

PG - Speedy ( or Law )

G - JJ

F - Marvin ( or Durant )

F - Durant ( or Smoove )

F - Smoove ( or Shelden )

Most of you guys want this team to run, and seem to be in love with the Phoenix/Golden St./Memphis style of play.

Well, this is the lineup to do it with. You run that lineup out on the court, and see if people can guard us offensively. I've always said that if we can't find an adequate guy to put in the middle, that Smoove could very well be that guy that ends up at the 5 spot. Play him as a very athletic 5, and hope his "on the ball" defense becomes more solid.

Even if this lineup doesn't start games, we'd definitely see that lineup in the game at some points, if we acquired Durant.

We'd have to be a scramble defensive team that plays a lot of zone, but this lineup could get away with it.

Athletically, there would be very few teams that would match up with us.

Athletically that would be the most athletic starting 5 in NBA history.

I say running teams don't win championships but there has never been a running team THAT athletic where every single player is capable of playing D.

Although we would have some size issues, Josh and Durant both can block shots and they both have wing spans to contest shots.

And they would create a lot more mismatches on the other end than those that would be caused by the opposing team.

Either Durant or Oden is a ridiculous homerun pick that would set this franchsie for years to come.

But no way does David Stern allow such a thing.

No way.

To give a similar response and Atlas beat me to it. If Durant fell into the Hawks' laps, there's no way and I repeat, NO WAY that Marvin Williams should remain a Hawk beyond Independence Day. Durant becomes the starting small forward the very second his name is announced by Stern, thereby relegating MW to the pines. That means that you have not just one but TWO top-10 picks riding the bench, which is just plain unacceptable on a squad that hasn't made the playoffs since dial-up internet was hot. Williams' trade value would drop like a rock in a shallow swimming pool; they'd be lucky to get a low first round pick for him because most teams would wait until his contract ran out because they'd know that he wouldn't accept an extention from the Hawks to stay on the bench.

You'd have no choice but to attempt to recoup what was spent on MW and/or Childress to fill the other holes on the roster since most of the cap space was spent on career backups last year.