• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Whats the deal with Spencer Hawes?

TheDude

• Premium Member

If Hawes really does play at a NBA level anything like McHale then I take it 24/7. McHale is the best low post player I have ever seen play the game of basketball and we desperately need someone with an actual back to the basket game on our team.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

The only player in this draft that we are actually talking about on this board I am 100% against drafting is Noah.

I don't like Noah either, but I'd take him EASILY over Hawes or Splitter.

Quote:

So if BK drafts Conley at 3 and Hawes at 11, does hawksquawk erupt in anger and grab the torches, or are we ok with that?

Because unless some crazyass trade comes through, this sounds more like the most reasonable safe guestimate on what we may do.

This is all pre-workout opinion of course.

At this point I like this idea, but I do have a lot of hesitation in saying that because both Conley and Hawes are so young. One really young player I can live with, but two is pushing the envelope because the Hawks need somebody to contribute immediately. I don't know if I can live through another three years of rebuilding.

Quote:

I watched him eat up Big Baby Davis but it was not as bad as the highlights show.

Diesel I agree with everything you said except this. I watched that game and was rolling on the floor laughing. Big Baby was so slow, Hawes was usually set up on the block before Big Baby would make it to half court (well, a slight exageration but not much). Big Baby couldn't guard the taller and quicker Hawes, he was doing right and left handed hooks off the backboard or stepping out for short jumpers. However, Hawes was not guarding BB - it was the PF Brockman. By the end of the game Brockman had claw marks all over his face from BB's fingernails.

Glen Davis (BB) 37min 8pts 9rbds

Spencer Hawes 30min 23pts 12rbds

Jon Brockman 32min 19pts 14rbds

But you are right that he didn't really get to play any of the good big men. Biggest name was Aaron Gray, but that wasn't much of a contest - Hawes thumped him as he should have. Not much of a test.

Quote:

I think the #3 pick gets us Gasol.

Then lets take Law at #11 and march to the playoffs.

Gasol has never had the pleasure of playing with teamates as talented as Smoove & JJ.

We would be better than any of the 4 Grizzlies teams Gasol took to the playoffs. Bring Hubie Brown out of retirement (again) and lets rock and roll.

Inside / outside game of JJ / Gasol with Smoove's intangibles in the weak East........ I am watering at the mouth !

East will never be as wide open as it will be next year.

1. Piston - The wheels are ready to fall of Webber, McDeyse, and Wallace. Billup will start show signs of age.

2. Heat - Shaq's career ....tick - tock - tick - tock

3. Cavs -Lebron is great but the wheels will start falling off of Big Z, he cn barely get up and down the court now.. another broken foot... it is not if ? it is when ?

4. Durant and Oden are both out West !

The only up and coming teams are the Raptors, Bulls, & Wizards. None of which should be considered elite.

An all-star post guy like Gasol paired with an all-star like JJ is powerful combo now a days in the East. Young guys like Smoove and Marvin can effective play off 2 all-stars.

coachx, I did mean the Bogut comparison as a compliment. I have to agree Hawes seems to have a well-rounded game and I would be pleased to add him to the Hawks. We need a few more international players to get hyped into the 4-10 picks so we can get Hawes to slide!

If Hawes really looks good in workouts, and we like his value better than Horford/Yi/Wright/etc, we might look to trade down with Boston or someone else in the 5-8 range to grab Hawes.

I just hate the idea of spending a #3 pick on a 6 foot freshman guard who has an incomplete skill set, when we are desperate need of scoring punch.

Quote:

If Hawes really does play at a NBA level anything like McHale then I take it 24/7. McHale is the best low post player I have ever seen play the game of basketball and we desperately need someone with an actual back to the basket game on our team.

If he played anything like McHale he would be a top 5 pick.

Funny that you are 100% against Noah when he's a helluva lot better prospect than Spencer Hawes.

One thing that seperates him from Bogut is, he's prolly the most talented offensive center in the past 20 years. You can run your offense through him, with his post skills, he will command double teams, and with his passing skills, he will always find the open man. he can rebound, and is a solid defender. The only weakness he has is he isn't really athletic. He plays alot like a Brad Miller/Vlade Divac, but he'll prolly be better than both of them. I see him putting up 18pts 8reb 5ast 2blks, in his best years.

Quote:

One thing that seperates him from Bogut is, he's prolly the most talented offensive center in the past 20 years. You can run your offense through him, with his post skills, he will command double teams, and with his passing skills, he will always find the open man. he can rebound, and is a solid defender. The only weakness he has is he isn't really athletic. He plays alot like a Brad Miller/Vlade Divac, but he'll prolly be better than both of them. I see him putting up 18pts 8reb 5ast 2blks, in his best years.

That's the same thing about Bogut. He's not athletic but oh he's such a great passer with high basketball IQ!

Bust!

We need someone in here who can contribute immediately, not another guy with 'upside' who we have to wait another 2-3 years on. Don't we have enough of those guys on the roster already? Isn't it time for this team to start getting older rather than younger than it already is?

Adding a post player of Gasol's ability to JJ gives this team the most potency its had since the days of Smith, Mookie, Deke, and Co. A post player putting out 20/10 with a high FG percentage; what more could you want, especially considering how weak a team this is on the offensive end.

As weak as the East is, that's all we'd need to make a push for the playoffs NEXT YEAR rather than hoping that all of these young guys develop and then not bolt on the first thing smoking once their rookie deals run out.

It's no BS at all. I am a Cal fan, so I watch a fair amount of Pac 10 basketball. Saw Hawes play a few times and was unimpressed. Hawes isn't unathletic as in being slow, lumbering or stiff, but there's no explosiveness, no leaping ability, and no way he's going to be finishing any fast breaks. He's going to be playing against some big, athletic dudes in the NBA, and his lack of athleticism WILL be exposed. I can't believe the hype machine that is already going on this guy with this thread. I mean, you guys are comparing him to Bogut, the NCAA POY??? Maybe, MAYBE Hawes can be as good in 3 or 4 years as Bogut was in his rookie year, and he has no tremendous upside beyond that due to his lack of athleticism. Why the heck would we want to pick that guy???

I've had the privilege of watching Hawes play 3-4 times. Offensively he really reminds of Duncan's style of play. Excellent footwork, use of the glass, good post moves, above average passer, and fluid.

Defensively its another story. He's not as bad as advertised, but it is still not one of his strengths. He isn't as strong and big as Duncan either, obviously not on his level as a player, but his style of offense reminds me of him. The hawks could really use his low post offense, and he would fit nicely on this team. I just wish we'd add a bit more defense to the center position.

Noah and him are different players, one focuses on offense and the other on defense. Both are good athletes in that they are fluid and fast players. If Conley is our choice at #3 and no trade is made, I would be ok with either one at #11.

I'm worried about what will happen if both Noah and Hawes are both gone at #11. I think there will be a good chance of that. We will just have to take the best player available and try to work out a trade of some sort I guess.

I wish Hibbert had stayed in the draft.

I doubt they are both gone. The Bulls may look long and hard at adding the low post offense that Hawes brings and the Kings may look to add Noah, but I seriously doubt at this point that both teams go that direction. It's more likely that Law is gone before 11 although most on this board disagree with this for some reason.

I really like taking the mystery out of it personally. I've suggested this already, but a trade of Chillz and the #3 for Aldridge/Jack would be ideal and would allow us to go BPA at #11 (Brewer/Green?) since we already addressed all of our needs. Cheaper backup option, and I think Brewer brings more to a team off the bench than Chillz does. Defense, better shot. More of a pure SG/SF backup.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

If he played anything like McHale he would be a top 5 pick.

Funny that you are 100% against Noah when he's a helluva lot better prospect than Spencer Hawes.

Noah couldn't make a shot if you held him over the goal and all he had to do was drop in through the hole. He has zero offensive game.